Twitchy cruise control

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Twitchy cruise control

Postby mhuppertz » Mon May 28, 2007 1:35 pm

We went to Amarillo this weekend and I couldn't use the cruise because it's so twitchy. It's my fault for tweaking the crap out of it to the point that my engine acts like a two year old filly first time in the starting gates. Should I go, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I.

Would taking all the play out of the cruise linkage do any good?
mhuppertz

Postby Rebel Ram » Tue May 29, 2007 5:58 pm

Just a guess, But I have had intermitant problems with mine on two trucks. And each one had similar symptoms. The 1 ton has worn steering wheel buttons that make poor contact and with the vibs from rough roads will make the CC twitchy. The Big Ugly has a sending unit problem and sends eratic signal to the CC and it acted twichy. Just some idea's.
"Big Ugly"-93 3/4 T extra cab 4X4 5 speed
"Big Hips"-92 1 Ton reg cab 4X2 Auto
"The ohwun"-2001 3/4 T quad cab 4X4 auto
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 92 D/UNIT » Thu May 31, 2007 10:57 pm

mines been twitchy since i got it, was even worse with a 12 cm. the 14 tammed the twitch a little, maybe what rebel said will fix the prob.
Brian 92 D 250 250K, A518, pump mods, BHAF, 4X15s, 4" turbo back dual exh, 3200 spring, HTB2 62/12.

SOLD 92 w250 ex cab, 5 spd, 3.54, 320,000, WH1E 14, Fuel pin, pods,shortened 4200 gs, Bhaf, 4" turbo back
388/886
92 D/UNIT
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Paccool » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:12 am

When mine got "twitchy" it turned out to be something simple. It was the brake light switch had been pushed out of the bracket a little and the bumps in the road were causing the pedal to bounce a little. The cruise would turn on and off and generally go crazy. Look under the dash at the pedal assembly and about half way up the arm is where the switch is located. Push it back in so the button moves toward the pedal arm. The design of the holder is real crappy and mine kept moving back out when I hit the pedal with my foot whem getting out of the truck. Got a new switch and installed it and that took care of it for a while but I finally took a cable tie and tied it in place. Have not had anymore problems.(knock on wood!)

Not saying this is your problem but is worth looking at!
Stan

93 D250, PDR cam,stage 2 head w/o-rings,twin turbos HX35 on top HT3B on the bottom,modified IP,piston lift pump,DDP stage 3 injectors,gauges,ATS ported manifold,4" exhaust,5" inlet system,oversized intercooler, rear sway bar, fresh paint
Paccool
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:44 pm

I'll try all of these things.
It feels like someone is driving that had no conscept of modulation (sorry mom!), like there arn't any shades of grey. Going up hill it's fine, but on level ground or down hill it's really bad!
mhuppertz

Postby Chuck Snider » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 am

There was a TSB out for the cruise controll problems were on many of our trucks the servos were missmatched with the PCMs my 92 has a jerky cruise controll and I narrowed it down to the wrong Servo for the PCM.. I haven't attempted to correct this yet.. but it's worth a look into if you like cruise controll
On a side note ,the previous owner of my truck had replaced the servo but he also installed the wrong one.. The original servo which I got in a box of stuff when I bought the truck was the wrong one as well....
93W250 CC auto
92W250 CC NV4500
Chuck Snider
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Chuck Snider wrote:There was a TSB out for the cruise controll problems were on many of our trucks the servos were missmatched with the PCMs my 92 has a jerky cruise controll and I narrowed it down to the wrong Servo for the PCM.. I haven't attempted to correct this yet.. but it's worth a look into if you like cruise controll
On a side note ,the previous owner of my truck had replaced the servo but he also installed the wrong one.. The original servo which I got in a box of stuff when I bought the truck was the wrong one as well....

Thanks for the info, this is the first time I have heard of this... How would I go about figuring out which dervo is right?
mhuppertz

Return to Engine