OIL PRESSURE

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

OIL PRESSURE

Postby sid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:34 pm

I AM NOT FAMILAR WITH THE CUMMINS. On my truck the oil pressure staysin the first section sometimes at the top line and other times barely above the bottom line. Is this normal or am I runing the engine? Also the alternator fluctuates between all of the lines but does not go beyond them, is it normal/// what is normal?
sid
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The stock ones I have been told are worthless. Haven't had a problem yet with mine though.

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 am

The oil pressure is normal. The only oil supply problems I've ever heard of on a Cummins involve Fram oil filters disintegrating; I don't think there's any reason to worry about it.

The voltage is normal-ish if something is drawing a heavy load on the battery. Typically the grid heaters on the intake will cycle for the first few miles on a cold day, and that'll really throw around the ammeter. Otherwise I don't know what'd make it bounce around in normal operation. Could be a sign of a bad battery, or perhaps a bad voltage regulator. Although in my experience voltage regulator failures are more dramatic.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Could also be a bad ground under the dash. This would make both act funny.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine