woohoo...wrecked my crew cab

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

woohoo...wrecked my crew cab

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Truck is ok as far as I can tell so far, except for the radiator. I am in the same condition as before the wreck (not sure if ok is the right word or not :P )

So I am going to my second job today, swing thru a taco bell to pick up some eats, and continue onto work. Taco Bell is maybe a half mile from O'Reillys where I work. I turn north, across the two southbound lanes, as well as the center turn lane, and get into the 1st northbound lane. The rear in my truck has been welded (like that when I got it) so obviously it makes some noise when you turn. I make it like 500 feet doen the road and see a girl in a Sebring convert pulling out of a car dealer. She is inching forward, so I let off the throttle. She starts to pull out, and I stab the clutch and the brakes. All 4 tires lock up, the truck starts bouncing, and I just hold on. She looks right at me, continues at the same pace, and I end up putting my bumper into the driver door/quarter area. BOOM. Glass flies up onto my hood. My hot fresh taco bell and cold super extra ridiculously large Mt Dew go flying. I pull into the turn lane to get out of traffic. No sooner than I stop, a cop pulls up. I think great, since I have no idea where my phone went. He asks if I'm ok etc., and then goes over to the girl. At this time an employee from the dealer comes out and starts barking up my ass about not giving her time to get out, spinning tires, blah blah blah. I say I was in the road when I hit her, and that I had the right of way. Since when does traffic stop to let a car out from the parking lot? I decide to quite talking to this guy since I am getting pissed and I have nothing to do with him. The cops hears this, and turns instant a-hole on me. I explain to him the welded rear end deal, but he doesn't care. I tell him I was out on the road already when the impact occured, and that I never broke the speed limit (40 mph). He then tells me that i could be charged with a misdemeanor for wreckless driving. I ask why. He say because of the speed involved. I ask how fast I was going. He tells me it doesn't matter, as long as there is something to contribute to a wreck. He then proceeds to call a wrecker. I tell him I don't need one, despite my truck dumping antifreeze all over since the fan and the radiator got real upclose and personal. I'm 1/4 mile from work, so its no big deal. Then he tells me to clean up the antifreeze, points me to napa, and tells me to get some oil dry. I head in there, couldn't find it, and call O'Reillys and have some delivered. 100lbs later, its mostly cleaned up, and I begin to sweep up glass. The cop took my info, then told me I need to go to the station tomorrow to fill out a statement. Luckily for me, the radiator shop in this town is also a bail bondsman, so maybe I can get a package deal. I went to work, and felt sick all night. It's like I need to ralph, but nothing would come up.

All I gotta say is thank you to George, who built the truck, for the hellacious winch bumper that saved the intercooler.

RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:29 pm

As I wrote this, I started getting really pissed, and sick again. Judging by the attitude of the cop, the misdemeanor could be a very real possibility. Anybody have any tips before I write out my statement tomarrow?

And to think I was wanting to take the bumper off. Screw that, its staying. It just needs some spray paint, and its ready for round #2.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby 2muchtq » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:34 pm

GET PICTURES OF YOUR SKID MARKS!

They are worth ten billion words. It also proves you were in YOUR lane and she pulled in front of you.

Get ahold of your insurance company. Make them bat for you.

If you can find someone that witnessed the event (NOT the car lot dudes)

THEN GET A LAWYER.

Sounds like a stout bumper. Hope all ends out well.
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Will get pics tomorrow. Not sure what my ins. co. will do since I have PLPD on it :oops: I'll worry about getting a lawyer after I find out what they are going to do. The bumper is made by warn. I used to think their stuff was overpriced, but now i know its worth it.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby CAJUN 93 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 am

make sure in your statement that you say you had possesion of the lane. its a general misconception that you have to give when someone pulls out in front of you. if you have possesion of the lane and they do not afford you the ability of evasion, they are at fault.

be careful of your wording and in no way incriminate yourself. it wasnt your fault and you shouldnt be coherced into saying it was.

daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:17 pm

Do you have flat spots on your tires? That could prove the skidding and with some pics, could be real hard evidence. Also with YOU hitting HER driver side, that there proves she was inching out when she shouldn't be. How can you hit her on the driver side if she was in the road? You would actually hit her passenger side.

I don't know if this helps but I hope it does. Be nice to the judge and ins. companies. If you fly off the handle, it could be fuel for the fire.

All done.

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Glad you're OK.
Don't say anything about the welded rear end. Cops and others don't know and don't care. If you get them confused they get defensive and you're the bad guy.
I think I'd change the rear diff out when you get a chance. Quiet is good sometimes. :wink:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:15 pm

Glad you are okay! I echo what everybody else has said, In your statement tell everything wrong that she did and everything right that you did in trying to avoid the crash.
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 pm

Made my statement today. Wrote out 4 pages worth of stuff. I talked to a cop-friend in my town, and he said everything matters. Even the rear end deal, the fact that he made me clean everything up, everything matters. I then toalked to the cop again, and he seemed less of a prick. He said at the minimum I could get is exhibition driving, which I believe is a city ordinance and is a fine only type offence, and the most I could get is wreckless endangerment, which is a class A misdemeanor. He told me the distance between where I pulle dout and then I hit the girl is about 120 feet. I explain to him my truck, which weighs nearly 7000 lbs, can't accelerate to more than the 40 mph limit in that time, nor can it stop on a dime. He seemed to see my point, so maybe it won't be so bad for me. He said he was still waiting on a witness statement from one other person, so it will be next week before I have a police report. Keep your fingers crossed.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Sounds better! Good luck Jeff!
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:16 pm

I wouldnt have made any statements without a lawyer present. I'd agree to the skid marks, though if your truck wasnt at the end of them, it wont prove anything in court. Who is to say they were yours? Dont bargain, ADMIT NOTHING. Have your laywer present at all times with the law. Your "friend" also has to keep his job- remembering that may save your bacon. :wink:

And isnt it the city's responsibility to clean up after wrecks? I'd have politely told that cop to use his baton for self pleasuring behind closed doors. I'd have also asked the airhead broad to re-buy me dinner (with her absence) and to have my carpet and seats professionally steam cleaned.

Hope you dont have All State Insurance- they go to bat for the other team.

Why is it the male in the big pickup always gets the bad rap? I had a similar incident happen to me in Loveland CO. Woman turns in front of me, and *I* get a ticket for hitting her. Of course, I didnt know that the "3 witnesses" had to show up in court to testify against me. I thought it was like school- someone says something against you, and it's gospel; you have to prove your innocence. Govt schools dont teach you a damned thing that is useful in real life.

At least it isnt southeast MO- some county prosecutors have never heard of the word misdemeanor- it's felony charges all they way.
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:45 pm

dpuckett wrote: I'd have politely told that cop to use his baton for self pleasuring behind closed doors. I'd have also asked the airhead broad to re-buy me dinner (with her absence) and to have my carpet and seats professionally steam cleaned.

Dude, you need to calm down. Just a little. :wink:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:22 pm

I aint getting upset, just recounting my idea of what I think I'd do in that situation.

So, how'd it turn out?

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Pete, it only took Daniel 16 days to cool of enough to respond! :P :lol:
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge