Pullits got a new"er" pile

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Pullits got a new"er" pile

Postby pulltilbroke » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Its tagged for 12 tons/24000 lbs for the whole mess truck trailer and cargo. If I would have done the minimum of 3 ton it would have cost about 27$ .

I'll drive whichever one isn't tore apart. Most likley the 90 when its real shtiy out. It get around much better. I actually just tossed 1200lbs of suitcase weights in the back of it tonight. So I can get around in 2 wheel.
90 W250 reg cab, Modified knuder valve, reversed reciprocting dinglearm adjusted, High volume flux capacitor,upgraded whirlygig, A clutch and a hitch
93 W350 ext cab dually, getrag and a few adjustments
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:57 am

any plans for more goodies on the 90?
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 am

pulltilbroke wrote:OH yeah and 335$ :shock: later its got tags with enough tonnage for anything I'm gonna drag around. Kinda nice knowing you 100% legal :lol:

Well, sorta', maybe, if you're pulling your own stuff!

Even then, technically, if DOT stops you while towing, you need basic safety equipment like triangles, fire extinguisher, breakaway device, extra fuses, light bulbs of all types for the trailer and truck, ALL axles on the trailer are required to have brakes, ALL lights are required to work, as is the horn, wipers, washers, no cracks or separations (white edges) in the windshield, tires over 3/32" in tread depth (above "check spots"), properly affixed trailer safety chains and probably a shti ton more that I am leaving out.

Basically you must pass the basic safety "sniffer test", at least.
Around here, even the State Patrol can double as DOT and call in the weight van.

So, no, technically you may not be "100%" legal, but you are "closer" with the tonnage.
Paying extra road tax doesn't make you safer or give you a pass with the DOT guys.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 am

MAN! ! ! ! i'm glad our DOT cops are to busy screwing the state out of money to mess with accually doing
there job, i could never get on the road again.

when i go to a farm sale, a consertive guess would be 75% of the trailers don't even have a tag.

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 am

Looks like your state is missing a potential money grab there. :lol:
In these economic times, they'll catch up, trust me. :roll:

What I can't believe is how people tend to think these rules don't apply to them because "I'm hauling my own" or "I'm not for hire".
Another good one is "I'm a farmer, those rules for lighting, weight and crap don't apply to me".
Let someone plow into their tractor because they didn't have at least flashers on it at night and see how far that reasoning gets them!

Safety is safety is safety, if it won't stop a trailer or it wanders, or you can't see lighting, it needs to be repaired.

I can't tell you how many times I've run back roads at night and come across some (usually drunk) idiot with no taillights, running 40 mph and I have to try to slow from 60 or so at a moment's notice. :shock:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 am

I run a up to date tag with all working lights/breaks, but it shure does hurt to throw down $200 for a 14,000 tag
when i only use my trailer 4 times a year.
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, but that $200 is still cheaper than the ticket(s) you'll get without it. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby pulltilbroke » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:
pulltilbroke wrote:OH yeah and 335$ :shock: later its got tags with enough tonnage for anything I'm gonna drag around. Kinda nice knowing you 100% legal :lol:

Well, sorta', maybe, if you're pulling your own stuff!

Even then, technically, if DOT stops you while towing, you need basic safety equipment like triangles, fire extinguisher, breakaway device, extra fuses, light bulbs of all types for the trailer and truck, ALL axles on the trailer are required to have brakes, ALL lights are required to work, as is the horn, wipers, washers, no cracks or separations (white edges) in the windshield, tires over 3/32" in tread depth (above "check spots"), properly affixed trailer safety chains and probably a shti ton more that I am leaving out.

Basically you must pass the basic safety "sniffer test", at least.
Around here, even the State Patrol can double as DOT and call in the weight van.

So, no, technically you may not be "100%" legal, but you are "closer" with the tonnage.
Paying extra road tax doesn't make you safer or give you a pass with the DOT guys.

Mark.

Well from the stuff you listed sound like I'm almost good to go. My horn doesn't work (Clockspring) But everything else is good or will be good in short order.

What are the laws if your just pulling a small utility trailer with no brakes?
90 W250 reg cab, Modified knuder valve, reversed reciprocting dinglearm adjusted, High volume flux capacitor,upgraded whirlygig, A clutch and a hitch
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 pm

pulltilbroke wrote:What are the laws if your just pulling a small utility trailer with no brakes?

As I recall, FEDERALLY, if it's 3,000 pounds or under, no braking axles are required.
States MAY have different laws, but usually the Federal statutes are clearer and most base their laws on Federal guidelines, since the Feds have already wasted the taxpayer money to do the research to set it up. :lol:.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Hansen01 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:Looks like your state is missing a potential money grab there. :lol:
In these economic times, they'll catch up, trust me. :roll:

What I can't believe is how people tend to think these rules don't apply to them because "I'm hauling my own" or "I'm not for hire".
Another good one is "I'm a farmer, those rules for lighting, weight and crap don't apply to me".
Let someone plow into their tractor because they didn't have at least flashers on it at night and see how far that reasoning gets them!

Safety is safety is safety, if it won't stop a trailer or it wanders, or you can't see lighting, it needs to be repaired.

I can't tell you how many times I've run back roads at night and come across some (usually drunk) idiot with no taillights, running 40 mph and I have to try to slow from 60 or so at a moment's notice. :shock:

Mark.

I would get a big ticket if i got pulled over,lol mostly for all the little stuff on my truck, no horn, one marker light out, no speedometer, to much play in my steering wheel,a rip in the seat, couple wires hanging missing fuses, bare wires worn clutch petal pad, dirty carpets, :lol:
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby pulltilbroke » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Well we just put 3 gallons of fresh CI rated oil in and put on some good Baldwin filters on both oil and fuel side. The PO was running a Fram oil filter.

I also picked up a guage pod and a few guages.(Thanks Mark) I still gotta get some senders a thermocouple and lead wire and the install em. This is actually the first 4 guage pod I've ever seen for a 1stgen.

pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby Hansen01 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:23 pm

two tachs huh? :lol:
looks good, considering getting a 3gauge dash pod for mine
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby pulltilbroke » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:25 am

The little tach is coming out and a fuel pressure guage is goin in.
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:44 am

I'd do oil pressure and water temp 8) . Eliminate the oil temp and tach.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:48 am

If the tach is for a "K" style thermocoupler, here is a nice probe.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... tegt12.php
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge