Had some fun with a knife

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Had some fun with a knife

Postby 1arock » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 am

Did you all make head cheese? Nothings better for frying fish than lard. Rocky
92W250 w/a 68D100 skin,tach, pyro, boost, trans temp guages, rebuilt a518 w/a PTC converter, 4in muffeled exhaust, 3200 gov spring, he351cw,M@H dynamic timing, 5x12s,M@H M3 pin, pump jacked with, 3.54s, 6+ lift, 14.5x36r rubber,nearly done,"What was I thinking?"
1arock
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 pm

We didn't do head cheese this time, head cheese is one of those things that if most people saw how it made they probly wouldn't eat it.

I agree fresh beef is best, i'm kinda of a beef man myself and when it's time to cut up the tenderloin we always throw a piece of that on the open fire...............holy molly thats good.

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:29 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:Our new years eve tradition, butchered 5 hogs this weekend, the last 3 were 375lbs.

........mmmmmmmmm...meat.

Sounds like Pete's last three girlfriends lmao :lol: mmm meat!

But the pork does look phenomenal. Wish I lived outside the city and could raise pigs.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Bill, I don't touch your leftovers! ;)
The meat looks good, but I'm not into the butcherin part! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:13 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:We didn't do head cheese this time, head cheese is one of those things that if most people saw how it made they probly wouldn't eat it.

You got that right,straight up nasty!

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:I agree fresh beef is best
Dar

In the past few years I fattened steers and had them processed,kinda hit and miss on very good meat from them. Last year I bought week old bread from the bunny bread company,got them looking real nice ;) they even tasted go too :mrgreen:
Bought two little angus heifers about a month ago to try to start a small herd and stop buying culls
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Ellis make shure you take your beef to a good hometown butcher, sometimes you
don't get your own meet back from a big plant, that could explane the inconsistancy.

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:38 am

I've thought of that. I wish there was some way of leaving my initials on it and be able to find them again :lol: For the most part I trust the processors I use. They take you by appointment as they only work a few at a time,but you never know.

I've had some different theory on my hit and miss,I mostly think that its pour judgment on my part or that some might not have been "cut" early enough,thou I have read and heard that if a young bull is layed down without being scared that the meat will be fine. Not something I'm gonna try becuase it to much of a gamble on too much money.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:44 am

Tenderness of meat has a lot to do with stress, or lack thereof, and proper hanging time for the type of beef (largely based on how much fat the animal has). A low stress growing environment and low stress transport to the butcher are important for tenderness. Older animals tend to be tougher as well. Flavor is some the result of which breed you have and the particular genetics within the breed, but mostly is a result of the right feed and minerals. Heritage breeds are more likely to have flavorful meat then modern genetics. Most modern breeds and genetic lines have been bred for fast growth at the exclusion of other characteristics (like flavor). Here in the mid-west, our soils are deficient in things like iodine. Because of this my cows get free choice kelp which is high in iodine.

Edit: Really good meat is a bit like really good wine. It takes a combination of all sorts of factors to make it great like soil type, breed or cross breed for your climate, forage, minerals, low stress, etc.
Last edited by meby on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby 1arock » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 am

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:We didn't do head cheese this time, head cheese is one of those things that if most people saw how it made they probly wouldn't eat it.

I agree fresh beef is best, i'm kinda of a beef man myself and when it's time to cut up the tenderloin we always throw a piece of that on the open fire...............holy molly thats good.

Dar

I love good head cheese, some buddies and I made 45 heads up the week before christmas(lots of adult beverages and B.S.).Folks couldn't stand to eat most prepared meats if they saw what went onto them. A good friend worked at a packing house where they made braunschwieger and bologna, now that is disgusting. Rocky
92W250 w/a 68D100 skin,tach, pyro, boost, trans temp guages, rebuilt a518 w/a PTC converter, 4in muffeled exhaust, 3200 gov spring, he351cw,M@H dynamic timing, 5x12s,M@H M3 pin, pump jacked with, 3.54s, 6+ lift, 14.5x36r rubber,nearly done,"What was I thinking?"
1arock
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Meby....are you saying that when you get one of those really tender cuts that the cow
was probly sleeping under a big oak tree in the shad and someone snuck up behind him and
shot him in the head..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

i guess i mite try that one time, not even set up the catch pen, just go out before they
stand up from sleeping and ....B A N G ... :mrgreen:

Dar
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:42 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:Meby....are you saying that when you get one of those really tender cuts that the cow
was probly sleeping under a big oak tree in the shad and someone snuck up behind him and

i guess i mite try that one time, not even set up the catch pen, just go out before they

Dar

Wish I could do this to them,it would be easier to load them with the forks :lol: alas I've been told its illegal to bring one in a slaughter house already expired in the state of alabama,where I take them :roll:
Anybody want to help butcher one out at the house with me,we might just try this :lol:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:01 am

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:Meby....are you saying that when you get one of those really tender cuts that the cow

Dar

Well, thats not the only thing that makes tender meat, but yeh, it would certainly help. :D
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 am

ellis93 wrote:
Wish I could do this to them,it would be easier to load them with the forks :lol: alas I've been told its illegal to bring one in a slaughter house already expired in the state of alabama,where I take them :roll:
Anybody want to help butcher one out at the house with me,we might just try this :lol:

I think its the same most places. Here in my area we have one or two mobile units where for about $70.00 they'll come to the farm and kill it, gut it and quarter it on the farm and then haul it to the processor. They have a license from the state to do it though.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

If you have a cow processed do they charge a "killing fee". the place here charges 30$,like I've some choice in the matter :|
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not shure... the only time i had anybody els do it me and a budy took two old cows to a little amish
butcher and we had it (ALL) made into hamburger.

i think it was because one you could read a newspaper through and the other one had mayan hieroglyphs
on it, we were pretty shure they wouldn't have made good stakes.

i don't recall seeing a kill fee on the bill.

Dar
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge