W350 search, disappointing waste of a day looking at a truck

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: W350 search, disappointing waste of a day looking at a truck

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 am

ellis93 wrote:
oldestof11 wrote:Mark, that looks like a 4x4. Hubs are sticking outta the wheels.

Sure Does,looks like old school Warren lockers with the gold twist locks.

looks like a chrome center cap thats pitted and starting to rust. rear doesnt seem to sit high like a 4x4. looks like a 2wd with no motor.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 am

RumbleFish wrote:looks like a chrome center cap thats pitted and starting to rust. rear doesnt seem to sit high like a 4x4. looks like a 2wd with no motor.

My thoughts EXACTLY.
Plus he told me it was 2wd and it's missing the 454 auto that was in it. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby sb91ctd » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:
stillsmokin wrote:Mark, I'm shocked. Thats 2 chevys in a week you've looked at! Funny thing is I only used to be a chevy guy, as all this asian import trash began to litter our highways I really began to appreciate all of the good old trucks. In my eyes the chevy K30's, Ford F350 4X4s, and dodge W300/350 represent the last good dependable trucks a guy could afford to own. FWIW, I have thought about that running gear you have over there.

Well, the last thing I care to own wears a Blue Oval. :roll:

Jeff, if you think about it, in many ways assembling a truck from choice parts and doing a re-paint can be as good as buying a nice, low miles, rustfree truck.
The advantage is that, if you have the time, you can pick and choose the parts, the disadvantage is the time gathering and assembling, plus having a proper place to do it.
The other problem is that no matter how cost-conscientious you are, if you're picky (And I know you are!) you'll have just as much in an assembled-from-many-parts truck as you would buying a nice clean low miles one.

You'll only trade the grieving about the hunt for a nice truck for the grieving about the hunt for the PARTS for a nice truck. :lol:

I'll say this much, finding nice PARTS to piecemeal one together a little at a time is MUCH easier than finding "that perfect truck" that you can afford.

Mark.

Thats a two way street Mark, in my situation i didnt have much to spend on an old cummins. One day i was lookin on craigslist and stumbled across a 91 w250 auto standard cab long bed. I only saw the cummins and talkedd the guy down alil and bought it. After that the trick was to get the trans rebuilt considering reverse was out of it and finding another body for it considering no panel was straight including the hub caps, no joke. Roughly a year later and another possible donor truck bought and sold i found my donor truck that was a 2wd gasser and had an amazing body with a junk tranny that i could snag up for dirt cheap. Granted that with limited resourses and doing this outside the entire time of the swap idk which is more worth it. Ive had countless days and friends helping me with this project and quite a bit in replacement parts and the number will still grow alil but all in all after this is done i should have a killer 1st gen dodge(cosmetically and atleast mechanically sound) and with less than 3 grand in it. Thats with aftermarket wheels and tires, trans rebuild and a few other gaskets and seals to make it a nice daily driver. Thought man/labor hours dont nessicarily come into play on value but mine would be gold with what ive put into mine lol including blood sweat and tears, its all on the owner, their ability, and what recourses are aviailble to them to make it worth building vs buying a perfect one. With what ive had to go throught with doing it outside limited cash at times on parts and my only resources and all the bs through this build i would honestly pay the extra if i had it to get closer to something i wanted. Ill still love my home built/swapped 1st gen but in my case it wouldve been so much easier to save up and buy what i wanted. There are always variables to every aspect of what we do including building or buying a truck let alone what we do in life, this is just my novel of my version :D
Steve

1991 W250, stock for the moment, 146,xxx , 727 with transgo shift kit, non i/c, currently being assymbled
1988 super10 4cyl 5sp
sb91ctd
fuel screw!!!!

Postby stillsmokin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 pm

Update: since my last post I have called on 2 more trucks, one in Michigan was not up to par, another one in Ohio has been a circle jerk. I have had a few emails from the guys wife, finally a week later the guy calls (while I'm driving down the interstate) :roll: . Told the guy to give me a call back 5-6 this evening, not a noise from the phone. F'n people...

I heard somebody is going to score one tomorrow.
92 W250LE REG CAB, SLED PULLER, S400
93 W350LE EXT CAB, dually, 5 speed
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Actually, I finally committed the money to the one I was considering in South Dakota.
I had decided that it wasn't financially feasible, but then decided I couldn't buy the drivetrain for what I have paid for the truck, and if it needs rockers, I can justify it.

Now I just need to fund the trip up to get it home. :roll:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby stillsmokin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 am

GOT ONE!
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 am

I'm not one to pester for pics but...
GOT PICS? :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby stillsmokin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:32 am

Mark Nixon wrote:I'm not one to pester for pics but...
GOT PICS? :lol:

Mark.

I'll take some pics later today and post them up.
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 am

Glad to hear you found one.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 am

We love pictures! :jumpsmile:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby stillsmokin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 am

Pulltilbroke doesn't even know I went to look at a truck. Were headed to an event here in a bit, bet he loses it when he see this in my driveway :D

FWIW this wasn't quite listed right on craigslist, was for sale for 6 months. Heck of story about the truck so far.
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:06 am

That appears to be a very nice ride. :D
Yeah, Andrew WILL flip, because that's the same colors as HIS E/C Dually 4x4 was originally. :shock:

Funny, there's THREE 1993, DUALLY, E/C, 4x4, 5 speeds in less than a 20 mile radius, right here in eastern Nebraska.

There's actually 4, if you consider the one I have all in pieces in the back lot. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 pm

:shock: :x :? :shock:
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Andrews gonna be pissed! :mrgreen:
That's a fine looking truck. I'd love to have one that nice. 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:43 pm

That thing is nooooiiiiiicccceee! Good find! :mrgreen:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge