VW TDI Fuel Mileage...

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: VW TDI Fuel Mileage...

Postby meby » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 am

Begle1 wrote:How fast do you drive? Old lady or cruise at 75?

Maybe I need new injectors. It has 240,000 on it, if I can move my best to your worst they'd pay for themselves.

I haven't noticed any smoke.

Those of us getting 50+ mpg are driving fairly conservatively. Go light on the throttle, shift at 2000 to 2200 rpm, coast (in gear) to a stop, etc and you'll hit 50+ assuming there is nothing wrong with your car.

If you get the right injectors, they'll definitely pay for themselves. Just make sure they are sized and set for mileage and keep your right foot out of it. :mrgreen:

Edit: most of my mileage happens on a two lane highway, not in town or on the interstate. The best mileage i've gotten on trips was 53 mpg @ 75 mph with only me in the car and little luggage.
Last edited by meby on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 am

oldestof11 wrote:The guys getting 55+ are ones with a straight pipe OR use a resonator and block the EGR off. Now, a local pastor has a bone stock 01 and he drives it conservatively and has reported 61mpg @ 60mph on a trip near Rockford. IL to see his daughter in Boston, MA...

Both mine and my brothers cars are straight piped with a ,ummm, performance kitty. The tanks where I got above 55 mpg was driving between 50 and 55 mph, accelerating at maybe 10 to 20% throttle, and rarely using brakes. Remember that most of your fuel is used on take off, not running down the highway. The other thing is these cars take forever to heat up. Cold operation uses two to three times the fuel as when its at operating temperatures. That's one of the reasons winter mileage drops so badly. Its not just winter blend fuel. My car takes more miles to move the temp gauge then my cummins and if the weather is cold enough, it won't get all the way to operating temps. Last night on the drive home from Chicago, the temps were below 20 degrees and the cars temp gauge dropped nearly a full hash mark (17 degrees).
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:28 pm

I was looking into some performance stuff for it, but I must have not been looking in the right places because I found nil. I drive my car like an old man (usually), most of the miles I put on it are the 60 mile round trip commute on flat land. The only traffic I encounter is in the afternoon trying to get out of Davenport. I was reading on another TDI related forum about driving styles, I generally shift at 2000 rpm and am very light on the trottle. I do coast alot too.

I have noticed that little bugger takes waaaay longer to warm up than my truck, almost twice as long. Along with that, when I am not running down the road and am back in town, the temp gauge goes back down when the outside temps are less than freezing. If I let it sit someplace and idle for 15 minutes, the temp gauge is dropped down past 120. I guess it is possible with this warm snap that the car hasn't been using as much fuel, but it was as cold as the dickens out last night and I noticed that the mileage went back down, I got 700miles to this tank so far and it's got about 1/8th tank left, per the gauge.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:06 am

Well, I drove 175 miles exactly, filled up at the same pump as last time (local co-op), put in 3.53 gallons, 49.5mpg :mrgreen: I drove really conservatively, and used the few hills around here to "sling shot", along with lots of coasting. I am hoping that after I get back from NE in march, I can do a bunch of work to it, including an EGR delete and maybe straight pipe thing... ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby 1990 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:15 pm

CumminsPower59 wrote:I was looking into some performance stuff for it, but I must have not been looking in the right places because I found nil. I drive my car like an old man (usually), most of the miles I put on it are the 60 mile round trip commute on flat land. The only traffic I encounter is in the afternoon trying to get out of Davenport. I was reading on another TDI related forum about driving styles, I generally shift at 2000 rpm and am very light on the trottle. I do coast alot too.

I have noticed that little bugger takes waaaay longer to warm up than my truck, almost twice as long. Along with that, when I am not running down the road and am back in town, the temp gauge goes back down when the outside temps are less than freezing. If I let it sit someplace and idle for 15 minutes, the temp gauge is dropped down past 120. I guess it is possible with this warm snap that the car hasn't been using as much fuel, but it was as cold as the dickens out last night and I noticed that the mileage went back down, I got 700miles to this tank so far and it's got about 1/8th tank left, per the gauge.

I've read that you shouldn't idle them (30sec Max.). As they don't create enough heat to stay in the right temp. zone.
2012 Subaru WRX TP Stage 1 DD
1990 D250 4WD CONVERSION Retired
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Lounge