Who says farm life is dull?

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Who says farm life is dull?

Postby meby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 am

I was walking last night about 10 pm to check on my 5 week old pullets I had moved from the brooder to one of my portable pens earlier yesterday and heard some odd thumping in the cow barn. I check it out and I see the head of a 250 -300 lb calf visible at the top of a 20"x 48" deep shaft (a poor boys water hydrant). Now how in the devil does a calf that size wind up butt first down a shaft like that and more importantly, how do you get it out? There wasn't any way to get a sling under to lift her out, so I wound up digging down the one side far enough to knock the box apart and pull her out the side. That's exciting enough for me. :shock: I checked her this morning and she's up on her feet, but she won't be frisking around for a little while. She limping real bad on her right hind quarter.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Re: Who says farm life is dull?

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:08 am

You ain't kiddin, three weeks ago my daughter calls me at work and said, (i just saw a pic of our cows on facebook)
now this is not a good thing, cause i live in the boonies and they would need to bee a looooooog way from home for
someone to see them.

soooo on my way home another guy calls and says your cows are at my house, 2 miles from home.......GREAT.......
when i get there mine are on one side of a fience and his 90 or so are on the other...you know how hard it is to
seperate cows in an open field.

luckily they are all bucket trained and i get a bucket and play the pied-pipper for two miles, all was good.

moral of the story ( KEEP YOUR COWS BUCKET TRAINED AND KEEP YOUR KINFOLK OUT OF THE PASTURE IF THEY CANT SHUT
THE GATES).

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 pm

When we lived in Missouri, I had a horse jump the fence after being chased by the neighbors dogs. Another neighbor found the horse a month later about a mile from our place in the middle of nowhere. I talked to the Sheriff and per his okay, I disposed of four of the neighbors dogs. ;)
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

meby wrote: I talked to the Sheriff and per his okay, I disposed of four of the neighbors dogs. ;)

In Mississippi,If its on your land and you feel "threatened" or there "may" be harm to you or your property you have the right to kill any critter. In the last 6months I've shot and killed 7 dogs in the rear of my property. 4 belonged to one lady that always swore her dogs never left her yard till I shot them and left them where they stood and called her. They were after my girls rabbits. Nothing she could say.

The last three were a pack that no one claim. They were after the smaller yearling in my front field. I was turning on to my drive and seen the lead Pit bull jump for the cow throat. Out came the S&W 9mm and no more pit bulls. Trash animals :? I'm a full believer in "if you want it keep it in YOUR yard". Its not hard, I do it,why can't they? :|
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Dar, I had an experience like your's at about 14 with an Angus bull that got into the neighborhood across the creek. He stuck his head in the bucket and followed me home like a dog :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:59 am

Sorry, but I gotta' ask....
What about the brotherhood of animal husbandry who, for some unfathomable reason, can't keep their livestock penned up, or in the pasture?
I can't count the times where I've been driving down the road and there it is, someone's horse or bovine roaming free in the road, yet if it steps out in front of you and you hit it, you're screwed, because, at least around here, the farmer/rancher isn't held liable for escaped livestock that causes damage.

I can see it in "Free Range" areas, but there are none of those around my area, so why not pay attention to your animals and keep up on your fences?

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby meby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:04 am

ellis93 wrote:
meby wrote: I talked to the Sheriff and per his okay, I disposed of four of the neighbors dogs. ;)

In Mississippi,If its on your land and you feel "threatened" or there "may" be harm to you or your property you have the right to kill any critter. :|

I Missouri it was pretty much the same. The Sheriff said it would be a good idea to talk to the neighbor first, but I that they were fair game according to him. These days I don't ask anymore, I just practice the three S's.

Here in Michigan the "threatened" part works for the two-legged critters too if their in your house. ;)
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Kasper Cummins » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:54 am

Mark Nixon wrote:Sorry, but I gotta' ask....
What about the brotherhood of animal husbandry who, for some unfathomable reason, can't keep their livestock penned up, or in the pasture?
I can't count the times where I've been driving down the road and there it is, someone's horse or bovine roaming free in the road, yet if it steps out in front of you and you hit it, you're screwed, because, at least around here, the farmer/rancher isn't held liable for escaped livestock that causes damage.

I can see it in "Free Range" areas, but there are none of those around my area, so why not pay attention to your animals and keep up on your fences?

Mark.

Its not that way around here, if your cattle get out and cause any damage you have to pay for it. We never had a problem with dogs but we found about ten dead cavles in the edges of are corn fields. We think somebody was just dumping them but couldn't prove it.
Wishing I would have stayed on the farm.
92 W250 club cab

Kasper Performance Fabrication
Kasper Cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 am

meby wrote:Here in Michigan the "threatened" part works for the two-legged critters too if their in your house. ;)

It was the same here about 4yrs ago. They've since amended the state constitution to include your properties boarders as your "domain". Only thing that one guy here got screwed on was some other dude was plundering in his barn and ran off with an item and the guy shot the thief in the back (bad shot :roll: ) and was sentenced to prison. I don't remember the charge but I do remember that if the perpatrator is going away from you then you can't use deadly force. I'd get in front 8)

I didn't think you'd be interrested in the practices on the two legged critters.

We've changed a lot down here just because of the meth cookers down here.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Kasper Cummins wrote:
Mark Nixon wrote:Sorry, but I gotta' ask....

Mark.

Its not that way around here, if your cattle get out and cause any damage you have to pay for it. We never had a problem with dogs but we found about ten dead cavles in the edges of are corn fields. We think somebody was just dumping them but couldn't prove it.
Wishing I would have stayed on the farm.

There are all kind of reasons that animals get out. A scared 1300lb cow can run through almost any fence. I have some Scottish Highland cows that can clear a 4' fence as easy as a deer if they have a mind to and they are smart to boot. I've also had deer knock down my portable fencing as well. In Michigan, we are liable for any damage caused by an animal, whether its a dog, cow or horse.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 pm

If any animal above 1000lbs or can jump 3ft is scared, no amount of fencing will hold them, just short of a concrete wall. I had a Belgian draft horse at one time. 3 electric wires, woven, and wood 6" diameter posts did not stop her when a couple dogs chased her.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 am

Well, about 15 years ago I totaled a Dart on a black 1400 pound cow on a country road at night.
Tried to find out who owned it and get retribution and all I got was laughed at and told I couldn't sue the farmer for damages, because there are supposedly "range laws" around here, so it kinda' died.
Big mistake. I shoulda' got the cops involved, which I didn't.

I was more likely to shrug it off and walk away then, than I am now.
Now I would have pursued it to a satisfactory end, but back then I was a fool.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 am

As long as there is no alceeeeehaul involved you should call the cops, it's the owners responcibility to keep
livestock in.

my co-worker hit a horse on the way home from work and the owner cut him a $2,000 check on the spot
to keep the law out of it. ( must have had something to hide eh )

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge