I'm thinking of raising the posts needed to see the classifi

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

I'm thinking of raising the posts needed to see the classifi

Postby BC847 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm seeing folks making BS posts running their post count up. Some don't even bother trying to veil it. :roll:

We currently require ten USEFUL posts. I'm thinking at least 25 posts if not more.

Comments?
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Re: I'm thinking of raising the posts needed to see the classifi

Postby ellis93 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 am

What about adding an amount of days needed after registering?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:36 am

BC847 wrote:I'm seeing folks making BS posts running their post count up. Some don't even bother trying to veil it. :roll:

We currently require ten USEFUL posts. I'm thinking at least 25 posts if not more.

Comments?

You will then see an increase of 15 of those BS posts by the same class of new members.
I'd do a minimum 10 posts + 14 days membership.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 am

And you can set it so only posts in certain sections count.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree with the current post counts and would support a waiting period to post to the classifieds.
10 posts is about right, usually someone either learns something, or says something productive within 10 posts.
As far as the duration, one site BobS and I frequent has a 20 day minimum for the classifieds, along with a 10 post minimum.

While I tend to agree that it may be a little hard for a newbie to contribute at first, the time limit would allow him to learn a few things, or post some questions and learn answers.

One other thing, this is NOT A PAY SITE, in that, ALL of the actual useful information is laid out in the open, for FREE for everyone to see, as such, no one should go away with a "Ripped Off" feeling, just because they can't view or post an ad for parts.

One might possibly consider making a rule for "abandoned" registered names, as some people sign up, get a few answers and never come back.
I have run across numerous user names that fit the criteria.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Farmboy92_2009 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

i woud agree, i say 14 posts with 14 days minimum of membership. if they cant stop in atleast once a day and jot something down then they have no business trying to sell something here.

tater
92 - SOLD. new ride.... 96 CC LB Dually 4x4 auto - Goerend's TD Convertor & HD VB, Autometer EGT/Boost/Trans Temp, 5'' TBE 6'' tip, #100 plate, II Dragonflow 5x.016's, CAI. Sitting in the shed - DDP 042 DV's, 80'' long Trac Bars, and nice purdy Full Replacement Ranchand :) WTB - 4k GSK, 60 lb VS's, and a 64mm turbo.
Farmboy92_2009
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Dave, did you ever change anything? Just curious because it's painfully obvious the post count padders just barely try to act like they actually care about the old topics they dredge up to post in. ;)
It's kind of annoying to click on a new post and read, "Nice truck" or "I had one of those".

Or maybe I'm just easily frustrated today, it happens. :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Cantrell2500HD » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:23 pm

I see what your talkin about... Lol :D
Banned because I don't know when to shut up.
Cantrell2500HD
fuel pin?

Postby BC847 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:54 pm

PToombs wrote:Dave, did you ever change anything? Just curious because it's painfully obvious the post count padders just barely try to act like they actually care about the old topics they dredge up to post in. ;)
It's kind of annoying to click on a new post and read, "Nice truck" or "I had one of those".

Or maybe I'm just easily frustrated today, it happens. :lol:

I've not done anything yet. I've got to be sure what I do doesn't bring the site to a grinding halt.

@ Cantrell2500HD. I couldn't help but notice you mimic exactly what we're talking about. Perhaps it's just coincidence and nothing more.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Cantrell2500HD » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 pm

BC847 wrote:
@ Cantrell2500HD. I couldn't help but notice you mimic exactly what we're talking about. Perhaps it's just coincidence and nothing more.

Nope, it was intentional my friend. I was using sarcasm mixed in with a little irony, that's why I put the lol at the end. It's funny cause I have a low post count and it's exactly what y'all are complaining about! :D I mean, it wouldn't have worked if I had a high post count right! Lol

But really, I already have my 10 so I really don't have to make little comments like that. Even if you did change it to 14 posts and 14 days, I got that to then it's just a waiting game.

I know on another forum I'm on/use to be on, you have to have like 50 post to get into the 18+ section, so I went through and tried to post on things I knew about but realized that there was always some one who knew more or who had already answered it as well as I could, so I pretty much had no way to increase my post count without spamming the place up!! ... But I never even got close to makin it cause I to get aggravated when I see a thread I'm eagerly awaiting an update on come up, then open it up and see it's some jackass that just post some bs comment... Ugh.. I eventually just left partly because of it.

So, moral of the story, it can some times be difficult to raise post count so don't drive away the folks that seem like bullsh*ters but are really here cause they are genuinely interested. It's a fine line I think :)

( If that's not "contributing" I don't know what is! :D )
Cantrell2500HD
fuel pin?

Postby peobryant » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:36 am

I've noticed a big increase in ridiculous posts obviously in an effort to raise the count, so I personally think post count shouldn't matter at all but if you have to have some sort of device to keep the new people out of the classfields I think a minimum amount of days here would be better.

I'm sure there are tons of people who joined this site when they picked up their first diesel and have way more questions than answers and as such they will be too busy reading rather than posting. I don't see why they should be denied the classfields just because they haven't posted 25, 30, 50 or however many times you set for it.

I believe it is the buyers responsibility to make sure the deal they are making is good. If they aren't comfortable with buying from someone with 2 posts, request a phone number and have a conversation to make sure it isn't a scam.

Obviously it isn't my decision but I think the negatives of having a set post limit to view the classfields outweigh the positives and I don't feel it is needed. We went without it for years and I haven't heard of much, if any problems and I don't see why one needs to be instated now.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am

A 5/15 day waiting period for posting/classifieds might curb some people. 5 days to read, 10 days to post, and if you remember this place after the 15 days, then maybe you are either persistent in getting something sold or you are wanting to help.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 am

Cantrell2500HD wrote:Nope, it was intentional my friend. I was using sarcasm mixed in with a little irony, that's why I put the lol at the end. It's funny cause I have a low post count and it's exactly what y'all are complaining about! :D I mean, it wouldn't have worked if I had a high post count right! Lol

But really, I already have my 10 so I really don't have to make little comments like that. Even if you did change it to 14 posts and 14 days, I got that to then it's just a waiting game.

It would be in error to think that one could get away with circumventing our efforts in this matter,. . . . . . . and then taunting us about it.

Probably ought to just stop as it is and move along.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby AHineman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I'd rather just take the minimum post count away. Then just use caution with who you buy from. All it seems to do is have new people post BS posts and then still use the classifieds like craigslist anyways.
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby Cantrell2500HD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 pm

BC847 wrote:
Cantrell2500HD wrote:Nope, it was intentional my friend. I was using sarcasm mixed in with a little irony, that's why I put the lol at the end. It's funny cause I have a low post count and it's exactly what y'all are complaining about! :D I mean, it wouldn't have worked if I had a high post count right! Lol

It would be in error to think that one could get away with circumventing our efforts in this matter,. . . . . . . and then taunting us about it.

Probably ought to just stop as it is and move along.

Ooo yes sir masta, whatever you say masta, I be moving right along, please forgive ol' Toby fo' not knowin who be on a power trip masta...

Obviously, tryin to establish yourself as head hard ass is a priority of yours, unfortunately I believe it was a fruitless endeavor on your part...

Maybe you should try reading the whole post and recognize it as in fact a contribution to the thread instead of just finding something you can retort to in a vain attempt to exert your moderator privileges, doing so may just very well allow the forum to thrive. I mean, a forum that condemns a member that expresses their opinion is a forum that everyone wants to join right? (Sarcasm if you didn't catch that)

In your op you simply put "comments?", which I assume you ment you'd like them to pertain to the topic of the tread, I simply obliged you. If you don't like the response from every member of the forum, which I am part of, then you shouldn't leave your posts open to individual response and request only those of the seasoned members, but I would think you'd be closing the door to growth.

Have you ever given thought to becoming highway patrol or some other law enforcement? ;)
Cantrell2500HD
fuel pin?

Next

Return to Lounge