Good online source for ubolts?

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Good online source for ubolts?

Postby Diesel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Last time I bought Ubolts it was locally and custom bent but cost something like $50 for one axle. Now I need u bolts for 2 axles. Where can I buy American made grade 8 ones online for a little less?
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Re: Good online source for ubolts?

Postby PToombs » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't think $50 is bad at all for 4 U-bolts with nuts and washers. I last bought a set over 10 years ago and IIRC they were $40 then. There is no substitute for handing them your old one and comparing it to the new one right then. My .02.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I got bent, er, uhhhh, had a set bent for an '02 I'm putting together and it cost me $86 for 4 phawcking U-bolts with nuts and washers! :evil:
Around here that's pretty much what you have to go with, because I think only Inland Truck does them locally.

The last time I had some done they were $50, but Inland's excuse is that the materials have gone up "that much".

Of course, the local ITP has to pay for a brand spanking new facility, so I think that's also part of why we are "getting bent" here. :roll:

I see why some people (myself included!) are tempted to re-use the old ones, these days. ;)

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:I got bent, er, uhhhh, had a set bent for an '02 I'm putting together and it cost me $86 for 4 phawcking U-bolts with nuts and washers! :evil:
Around here that's pretty much what you have to go with, because I think only Inland Truck does them locally.

The last time I had some done they were $50, but Inland's excuse is that the materials have gone up "that much".

Of course, the local ITP has to pay for a brand spanking new facility, so I think that's also part of why we are "getting bent" here. :roll:

I see why some people (myself included!) are tempted to re-use the old ones, these days. ;)

Mark.

Why wouldn't you reuse clean ones,I do and have all my life :pirat:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Ever seen what happens when you re-use a stretched one and try to tow heavy?
I can see MAYBE re-using U-Bolts on bigger trucks, but this small stuff isn't so good to those parts.

The very idea of a u-bolt is to pre-load the axle plate/spring combo, as such it's usually stretched, then stretches even more under loads.
A sure sign of a stretched U- bolt (as with a wheel stud) is it'll start easy, then get noticeably hard to turn part way through, then become easy to turn again, towards the end.
Another sign of over torqued bolts, ESPECIALLY on wheel studs, is inspecting the threads and finding small chunks of them missing.
This comes from repeated overtorque and re-use, basically this is a fool's venture, he's been warned by the way the nut spins off several times, but he either doesn't know the signs, or chooses to ignore it.
He's maybe even replaced the nuts at some point, but missed the "chunking out" of the threads.
Sometimes the threads even "flatten" in a section of the bolt, but if that happens, the nuts usually end up not holding torque and spin.

I popped a U-bolt year ago on the hauler, one that wasn't 3 years old and, oddly enough, I only had a '95 3/4 ton BODY, maybe 3,000 pounds on the truck when it happened, and the axle walked off the center pin.
It wasn't a good experience, but it could have been a disaster.

Re-using a U-bolt isn't something I'd generally do on my own stuff and I certainly wouldn't want the liability of doing it, if I were to have customers needing that kind of stuff done.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 pm

No the bigger stuff is where you do not ever reuse them,tried it because non could be had,they'llloosen up every time. I've just never haf an issue with reusing u-bolts,one their not lug nuts/studs,and really how many times do you pull an axle out :lol: .
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:15 pm

ellis93 wrote:No the bigger stuff is where you do not ever reuse them,tried it because non could be had,they'llloosen up every time. I've just never haf an issue with reusing u-bolts,one their not lug nuts/studs,and really how many times do you pull an axle out :lol: .

Dunno' why you're trying to call me into question on this? :roll:
Your reply here is contradictory, first you say you never re-use the big stuff, then you say you've tried it.
A U-bolt is a U-bolt, all you do is have a shop bend new ones up.

I learned the hard way back in the '90s, tried to re-use some U-bolts on a Dart and ignored the fact that they kept not quite tightening up.
On those cars when a u-bolt breaks, the ass goes to the ground.
I destroyed a 1/4 panel and wiped out a fence on that one.
No more used U-bolts from then on.

Even the suspension shops strongly discourage re-using them.

It's totally up to you, but it's your insurance and liability, do what spins your top. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Diesel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm definitely in the "replace ubolts after removal" boat. Looks like I'll go local again and get the job done.
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:32 am

ellis93 wrote:No the bigger stuff is where you do not ever reuse them,tried it because non could be had,they'llloosen up every time. I've just never haf an issue with reusing u-bolts on pickup and cars,one their not lug nuts/studs,and really how many times do you pull an axle out :lol: .

Better :lol:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:53 am

Mark Nixon wrote:Dunno' why you're trying to call me into question on this? :roll:

It's totally up to you, but it's your insurance and liability, do what spins your top. :lol:

Mark.

well I question cause I can,plus you give better information when aggravated :jumpsmile:

And your also right about it being my choice to reuse,its also my choice to bet the 18YRS of experience on being able to recognize when I can't seem to get one tight ;)
Oh and I use an impact on them too :lol:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 am

ellis93 wrote:Oh and I use an impact on them too :lol:

NOW you're just being an ass-hole. :lol:

Carry on, carry on!

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am

Yep! :mrgreen:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 pm

You guys need boxing gloves. I'd like to see you run your air wrench then! :lol:

I'd never reuse them either. Just not worth the risk IMO. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

PToombs wrote:You guys need boxing gloves. I'd like to see you run your air wrench then! :lol:

I'd never reuse them either. Just not worth the risk IMO. ;)

Are you feeling left out? :P Well,I can remedy that,your opinion blows and so does John doe green :mrgreen:

Disclaimer= the Deere thing was for Mr Toombs,and in no way reflects writers opinion ;)
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Ellis ...your awful (RANDY) these last couple of days.....is the heat gettin to ya. :lol:
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge