Someone buy this crew car hauler

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Someone buy this crew car hauler

Postby Diesel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

No affiliation but I hope it goes to one of us so it lives a safe life (read: not trashed and modded like its a duramax).

http://countryclassiccars.com/trucks/sp ... cks_48.htm
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Re: Someone buy this crew car hauler

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

That isn't a good truck for a Cummins conversion and I'll tell you exactly why.

I have a Club Cab wedgebed that was equipped with a 360 and a 4 speed, which weighed in at @ 7800 BEFORE the Cummins and NV4500, which basically added another 800-1000 pounds on top of that.
Now, you factor in the fact that the truck(s) are stretched at least 6 feet each, so you've moved the center weight on the bed of the truck more towards the front suspension.

My carhauler weighs in at @ 9,000 pounds EMPTY, the truck, as manufactured, NOT STRETCHED, is only capable of 10,000 MAX GVW (single unit).
Even with NO load, it sits lower in the front than it would seem practical, which id because the stretch moves the weight forward, in combination with the extra engine/transmission weight.

My carhauler EMPTY, with nothing in/on it, weighs right close to 3500 pounds on the FRONT AXLE, add a truck or car and it's over the rated working capacity of a 2wd Cummins front axle (4000 pounds).

One could argue that the vehicles is longer at the rear and shouldn't have as much weight towards the front, but even then you should check the rear axle rating AND pull it on a scale with a vehicle on it to verify that you "may" never overload the rear axle, which is 7500 pounds for a DRW 70, IIRC.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Diesel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Mark,

Your knowledgeable advice, factual interpretation, and candid prose are just killing me here! Now go ahead and write a couple paragraphs on why that beast would be an amazing purchase! Do it!!!!
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 pm

A couple of sentences will pretty much override the negatives, I suppose.

It appears to be well built and has a LOT of thought into it.
Given that it IS a CrewCab with a sleeper behind it and that these old school haulers ARE being eliminated, it's definitely unique and appears well-suited for it's original purpose, to haul race cars to the track, because, let's face it, that's just what people BUILT in the 1970s and 1980s.
Racing was the purpose and one of these things, while hell to manuever, solved a lot of issues, like hauling a car and the assorted parts, tools and even a place to sleep (and have carnal relations :lol: ).

Now, if you really wanted to save it and re-power it (you know gas would KILL for it!), a hopped up 4bt can push 250-300 ponies reliably and that would go a long way towards negating the front weight issue, 3.54s and a 6 speed would definitely help the situation (it likely has anywhere from 4.10s to 5.88s!) for the 4 cylinder.
An added bonus, at the expense of another 100 pounds, would be ON BOARD AIR, to blow up tires, run air tools, etc.
With the 4bt, there could be more room for that, while not killing the suspension.

Oh, yeah, I have actually pondered doing this to the hauler I have now, because as impractical as the ol' wedgebed seems to be, the damned thing is just so F-ing COOL! 8)
You wouldn't believe how many times I've considered scrapping it. ;)

And, lastly, I already called on it. :P
It's a consignment deal, bottom $$$$ is $3700.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Diesel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Haha I'm glad you called. Now it's out there that 3700 will take it. Crossing my fingers someone here needs it.
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 pm

I passed the place last week, and the crew hauler is still there. I will say it is a photogenic truck, lol.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 pm

You're saying these pictures are BETTER than real life! That's scary!

http://countryclassiccars.com/trucks/sp ... cks_49.htm
Diesel
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge