What's salvageable? CAMPER related.

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

What's salvageable? CAMPER related.

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Picked up a very badly off travel-toy hauler the other day to make into a 2-car (truck) hauler and was wondering what in the world to do with the usable stuff off of it?

It was destined to be used to run a race car, I believe, since the rear was actually made up to haul a car.
It has 2 fuel holding tanks for gasoline, plus a pump and fuel nozzle assembly, under the back of the trailer.
It has a dual leg power landing gear, which is definitely staying, a pair of slideout assemblies (no living 1/4s on them, now) and some other usable (?) pieces.
90% of the interior and appliance related stuff is already long gone, no heaters, stoves, A/C units, water heater, flat screens (had 2 I was told!), or anything really substantive is left, really, but sometimes it's what others miss that still is usable.

I've never dealt with anything like this, but my intuition tells me to save some of the stupidest things, but something else tells me to pitch it all in the trash, but what I'll use in putting this thing together.

Thing is, NONE of the items (Besides the hydraulic stuff) have ever been used, this was literally on the way to the end user when it was destroyed, not a drop of gas or water ever hit the tanks in this thing.

Any opinions? :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: What's salvageable? CAMPER related.

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:29 am

All the storage tanks are worth saving to sell along with any lighting or windows. People are always looking for this stuff.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 pm

could still be 120v to 12v 80 amp power converter/ battery charger still in there, it was used to charge the onboard battery and convert land
power to 12v for the fridge controls, water heater controls, lights, slidout motors, landing gear, basicly everything but the AC units and microwave.

if it's there there about $350-500 new.

Darwin
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby diesel freak01 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Do you plan to dismantle the whole thing? Everthing in it really is valuable tovsomeone out there. The walls shoukd be made of aluminum. The fuel tanks and pumps would be nice to keep to have portable fuel.
1993 d350 ctd drw 2wd auto
diesel freak01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm

No walls and very little actual GOOD electrical stuff.
No power inverter/converter stuff either.
The walls and roof were MIA when I got it, which is just as well, that would have been an extra PITA.

I will say this, even though all the big "goody" stuff is gone, I'm getting a bunch of GOOD aluminum from under the flooring, it's natural finished extrude, the most valuable aluminum.
Then there's buttloads of heavy insulated wire and some short runs of copper pipe.

In reality, the recycle-able stuff will end up paying to get rid of the non-recyclable stuff, which is about the best a man can hope for on this project. :lol:

I'd forgotten how TEDIOUS trying to save RV crap is, much less having to TAKE IT APART, SCREW BY SCREW! :evil:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Buy a cordless screwgun you cheap SOB! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Pete, a screwgun doesn't work to find screws buried halfway through particle board! :shock:
I've picked a FEW M/H and trailers apart in my time and it ALWAYS sucks to have to dig for what's holding something down, just to remove it. :?
Just because this is a nearly new one doesn't make it any easier to dismantle, even though it is already 75% gone in the RV part of it.

A part of me is wishing I could just use the forklift to pick the the floor off it, but the other part knows that's a good way to totally screw up the whole thing and make more work in the long run. :roll:
Aside from that, I already have the waste tanks (3) and freshwater tank(1) out of it (4 total), most of the scrap wiring is laying in a trashcan, now it's time to remove decking and the aluminum underlay framework.

I really hope all this is worth it in the end. :|

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Farmboy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 am

:nopics:
1990 W350 4X4 NOW INTERCOOLED 5-speed. Boost/Pyro. Few light tweaks to the pump. Now a dually with an aluminum flatbed!!
Farmboy
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

A few general pics of the MESS!:

A pic of what I hope will one day get to pull it.
Imagine, if you will, a W-900 flat top sleeper behind the cab, followed by either a nice flat bed, or a 1st gen dually bed:

Nice, cooler weather is coming!
Coming soon, I hope!

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Lounge