Parker's Got a New Job! (Find me an '89 D250)

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Parker's Got a New Job! (Find me an '89 D250)

Postby peobryant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 pm

It's official. I got the call on Friday, November 16th, from Metro Correction offering me a position as a Corrections Officer and of course I accepted. The academy starts November 30th and lasts 8 or 9 weeks and to say I'm excited would be a massive understatement. Both my parents are retired officers from there, I have other family that has retired from there and a lot of the officers, Sergeants and the like knew me when I was just a baby so it's almost a family thing. One of my older brothers applied with me and he was accepted as well so another generation of O'Bryant's will be going through there.

Starting pay is $15.31 an hour which isn't bad at all but we get full insurance benefits as well and since I have Rory (he will be three in April) that is a massive plus to the job as well. We get at least 40 hours a week and from what I've been told as much overtime as we want so a house and new(er) car are on my list of things to buy.

After the academy I should have a good $6k or so to dump in a car and I think I'm going to be getting a Subaru Forester (late '90's) to daily drive until I can save up for a WRX wagon. The Forrester will be a 5spd. so I can slowly teach Dallas how to drive one, and when we've saved enough I'll get my WRX, sell the Impreza Outback Sport and give her the Forrester. Then I can save and focus on doing the small crap that needs to be done to my truck, plus I don't want to park it in downtown Louisville everyday.

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy right now. It's not everyday you get to start your actual career and not just some job.
Last edited by peobryant on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Parker's Got a New Job!

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 am

Congrats on the new job. You have a great deal of patience (infinitely more than me :lol:) to be in that field.

It sounds like you're dumping the old dirty diesels for those foreign cars :( Although they are made about 10 miles NW of my house :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:53 am

Congratulations.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 pm

cmann250 wrote:Congrats on the new job. You have a great deal of patience (infinitely more than me :lol:) to be in that field.

It sounds like you're dumping the old dirty diesels for those foreign cars :( Although they are made about 10 miles NW of my house :lol:

Not at all, when I'm more financially stable I plan on getting a few more 1st Gens as well as a 2nd Gen 12 valve or two, but as of right now I can find Forrester's and some WRX's in perfect shape for $5-6k while a 1st Gen that is in good enough shape to be a comfortable daily driver is not only much more expensive, they are a lot rarer. Plus like I said, parking a dually diesel truck (I don't think I'll ever own a SRW) in downtown Louisville is a massive pain in the rear and I'd rather not already be aggravated before I have to deal with inmates. :D

And gasoline around here was $3.13 yesterday and Diesel is over $3.50 so I'd be saving a lot of money driving a Subaru. Or a Dodge Dart I still haven't decided...
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Crap i wish diesel was that cheap around me and im an hour north of you
I just payed 4.10 today.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Crap i wish diesel was that cheap around me and im an hour north of you
I just payed 4.10 today.

It may have gone up due to Thanksgiving but I know it hasn't been over $4 a gallon for a while now, that sucks to pay that much. Of course I'm sure the next time I need to fill my truck diesel will be over $4 again, but luckily I don't drive it much anymore and I plan on riding to the academy with my brother and paying half for fuel. :D
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Its been 3.89-3.99 for 2 month's mow.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:44 pm

peobryant wrote:as of right now I can find Forrester's and some WRX's in perfect shape for $5-6k while a 1st Gen that is in good enough shape to be a comfortable daily driver is not only much more expensive, they are a lot rarer. Plus like I said, parking a dually diesel truck (I don't think I'll ever own a SRW) in downtown Louisville is a massive pain in the rear and I'd rather not already be aggravated before I have to deal with inmates. :D

And gasoline around here was $3.13 yesterday and Diesel is over $3.50 so I'd be saving a lot of money driving a Subaru.

I guess I just have a sense of adventure. I'll hitch up the G/N and head anywhere with my rolling garbage barge :lol: And get good enough fuel economy to justify daily driving it. I'd like to know the hubub with DRW trucks too. Rear fenders are rare as can be, you have to buy 2 more tires, they don't have a higher GVWR, the extra tires kill mileage, and a DRW truck doesn't pull any better in my experience, but that's a whole different can of worms.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 pm

cmann250 wrote:
peobryant wrote:as of right now I can find Forrester's and some WRX's in perfect shape for $5-6k while a 1st Gen that is in good enough shape to be a comfortable daily driver is not only much more expensive, they are a lot rarer. Plus like I said, parking a dually diesel truck (I don't think I'll ever own a SRW) in downtown Louisville is a massive pain in the rear and I'd rather not already be aggravated before I have to deal with inmates. :D

And gasoline around here was $3.13 yesterday and Diesel is over $3.50 so I'd be saving a lot of money driving a Subaru.

I guess I just have a sense of adventure. I'll hitch up the G/N and head anywhere with my rolling garbage barge :lol: And get good enough fuel economy to justify daily driving it. I'd like to know the hubub with DRW trucks too. Rear fenders are rare as can be, you have to buy 2 more tires, they don't have a higher GVWR, the extra tires kill mileage, and a DRW truck doesn't pull any better in my experience, but that's a whole different can of worms.

I have a wife and kid I have to provide for so no more adventure for me. :D My truck gets good enough fuel mileage to daily drive as well (I've been doing it for 6 years now) but I figure Dallas needs to learn how to drive a manual, she wants a Forrester and I want a WRX so my plan should work perfectly. Then I can save up for an NV4500 swap for my truck as well as getting it to my 400rwhp goal and fixing the electrical crap (it sucks not having a blower motor or heat in winter) while still having something reliable to drive every day.

And as for the DRW, I think they look better, simple as that. :lol: Sure they may cost more and you have to buy more tires and you get worse mileage but in the long run I want a vehicle that satisfies as many wants as possible and the better looks of a DRW truck outweigh all the cons, in my opinion. I think I might be able to settle for a SRW truck but it would have to be a great deal and I'd still always have my DRW. I'll never sell my current '91 anyways (too much history now) but I still plan on adding more DRW trucks to the stable. Maybe I'll convert the WRX to a dually... :shock:
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Congrats on the CAREER CHANGE, Parker!!!

cmann250 wrote:...I'd like to know the hubub with DRW trucks too. Rear fenders are rare as can be, you have to buy 2 more tires, they don't have a higher GVWR, the extra tires kill mileage, and a DRW truck doesn't pull any better in my experience, but that's a whole different can of worms.

DRW trucks are much more stable and better able to handle heavier loads, PERIOD. Don't believe me?
Hook a 2 place trailer with 2 heavy Dodge trucks on a DRW and drive it into some hills and winding roads, then take a SRW and do the same thing. After you're done cleaning your underwear out, kindly tell me what color the poo was. :lol:

I've gotten just as good of mileage with a DRW truck as I ever got with a SRW, so the mileage argument is pure BS. ;)

I have probably 4 sets of DRW fenders here, no problem finding them for me, plus I have yet another PRIMO DRW bed to go pick up in Arkansas someday real soon.
So there, I murdered ALL of your arguments and left the knife handle still sticking out! :P

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby cmann250 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:43 am

I don't know, Mark. Unless you love the look or are hooked to a trailer every day (neither are me), I don't see it making sense. Even the camper haulers out of northern IN are about 50/50 DRW/SRW

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:43 am

I swear i will never tow with another single wheel truck. Hook a 35foot dual tandem trailer up with a 65hp trailer and bush hog on and cruise our back roads and interstate and you will never pull with another single wheel. Ive pulled with both and you can keep that swaying a$$ single wheel.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:28 am

Parker..first off great news on the job, the insurance is worth a ton with a family.
second, and kinda derail, i will never own a SRW truck again for towing, plus try putting this thing on a SRW truck
and drive on the curvy roads of north central Arkansas or in the Appalachains.....it is very very scary. :shock:

now third ..here is my wifes new wheels, so far with both subaru Outbacks we have owned we have have great
luck with them.

Darwin
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 am

Congrats Parker!
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 am

Since people are tossing out pics of other rides, here's my $750 POS gasser.
All that was really wrong with it was that It had a bad ECM:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Next

Return to Lounge