Of VINs, dashes, and titles

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Of VINs, dashes, and titles

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

So if one were to put another cab, and different dash in, does the title stay with the frame, cab or dash?

Logic says frame BUT it won't be a true representation of the truck.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Re: Of VINs, dashes, and titles

Postby cmann250 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I sent the title to that black truck with Andy. The dash was still in it though. The scrap yard did not ask for a title when I took in the frame, but they do when you take in a whole vehicle.

That's how Indiana rolls.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:51 pm

What ive gathered over the years is every state is different. Every truck i have built the cabs vins have to stay eith the cab in Kentucky.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:21 pm

When I recabbed I just put my dash back in with the VIN. I haven't had a VIN checked in years because I haven't been pulled over. The sticker on the door post I tried to peel off. If you peel that sticker it comes apart and VOID is printed across it a few hundred times. So I painted over it. I cut the post out of the original cab to save in case I needed it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:51 pm

PToombs wrote:When I recabbed I just put my dash back in with the VIN. I haven't had a VIN checked in years because I haven't been pulled over. The sticker on the door post I tried to peel off. If you peel that sticker it comes apart and VOID is printed across it a few hundred times. So I painted over it. I cut the post out of the original cab to save in case I needed it.

Careful heat gun work gets 'em off, no VOID, no peeling, no muss, no fuss.
Never done one myself, but a body shop friend of mine has done many and I have watched.
Stupid simple. :roll:

Oh, BTW, certain 1st gens have the last 10 characters of the VIN stamped in 11mm letters on the passenger's side of the wiper cowl. ;)

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm

The '86 cab had a tag riveted under the wiper panel. Needless to say, that wasn't there on assembly. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heat gun tip, I'll have to try it.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Check with your local DMV. In Ill. I don't know. In Indiana you have to retitle the truck. It is retitled as a ASM or assembled vehicle.

I'll be doing that pretty soon on mine.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Philip, how would they know? If you put in the original dash like I did and paint the door post tag, who's to know you swapped cabs? Why pay the money and retitle if you don't need to?
Sounds like a way to make money off the motorists, NY has tons of those laws. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:49 pm

IF they really wanted to nail you for something, they will find it.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 pm

If you know WHERE to look and you look REALLY hard, you can find the VIN on the frame.
I've only ever tried to look and found 3 and they are in some pretty inconspicuous places.

Honestly, I'm not so sure HOW bent out of shape they'd get on a 20 year old truck, so long as the obvious stuff matches and doesn't look hokey, BUT I am not one to try my luck on that.
The carhauler is questionable as it is, but the frame matches the registration and it's dead obvious the body has been swapped.
I've made no attempts to hide it and it sticks out like a sore thumb, anyway, I mean LOOK at it! (below)
I've been stopped in it all of 2 times, both times they checked my tonnage, my lighting, registration, insurance, and warn me about my speed, then send me on my way. :D

And of course, the pic of a Road Runner preparing for flight:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby DodgeFreak » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am

Iowa law (which I'm alittle confused on) IF you swap cabs you need a bill of sale for the replacement cab and they issue a new vin or add a vin to the existing title. They title by frame not cab. They told me also if I wanted to convert a 2wd to a 4wd I had to call and an inspector would come out and talk to me (don't remember if it was before the swap or after or both) and then I would have to get a different title stating there has been a change. If you change dash's I'm not sure on But i'm guessing the issue a new title with another vin or something.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 am

Edited the first part...carry on my friends.

I did find one of the frame numbers, I wasn't even looking for it at the time, I just looked up from what I was doing and it was right there.
Last edited by CumminsPower59 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 am

PToombs wrote:Philip, how would they know? If you put in the original dash like I did and paint the door post tag, who's to know you swapped cabs? Why pay the money and retitle if you don't need to?
Sounds like a way to make money off the motorists, NY has tons of those laws. ;)

Pete look above the heater box on the fire wall. The last 6 or 7 degits of the VIN are stamped into the cowling.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby txs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 am

Good grief, just change the tag under the windshield, there are sources for them 6 sided rivets ;)
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 am

Reciprocated for Ike. ;)

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Nixon on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Nixon

Next

Return to Lounge