need a little info on an engine swap FAST

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

need a little info on an engine swap FAST

Postby Mopardragster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 am

Ok, I have a lifted 1/2 ton 4x4 truck for sale and someone wants to trade me a 1996 Dodge extended cab Ton dually 4WD for it. It has a V10 and auto trans in it. The trans is currently out so a rebuild will be in order. All other running gear, body, interior, etc. is nice. I know the trans and such will bolt right up to my 12V first gen engine. My question is if the motor mounts will be the same and what other problems will I run into. I have a complete 1991 D350 to use for the conversion. Is this a good idea or would you just run it with the V10 if I swap for it. Or would you stay away all together. Has anybody attempted this conversion? Thanks a bunch. I am supposed to let him know something by Saturday so I am trying to get my ducks in a row.
Mopardragster
fuel screw!!!!

Re: need a little info on an engine swap FAST

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 am

Motor mounts are different along with a few things inside the trans. You will also have to find a diesel pcm and wiring harness for the trans or go full manual vb and such.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

Torque converter is also different between V-10 and diesel. Diesel is lower stall speed.
You'll need a radiator and intercooler from a 2nd gen diesel, if you want to hook it up correctly.
For the intercooler you need ALL of the tubing, the 2nd gen intake air horn, the turbo outlet, ALL of it.
Throttle cable is different AND the 2nd gen 12 valve diesel ones are nearly impossible to find, but it wouldn't work 100% correctly, anyway.
Modify the V-10 one would be my solution.

Oil pan is different, the bucket is longer on a 1st gen,it'll hit the front axle on a 2nd gen 4X4.
Exhaust down pipe is different, if you use a 1st gen downpipe, it has to be shortened in the middle, below the angle out of the turbo, to clear.
Depending on whether your '91 is intercooled or not, the fan hub, AND CORRESPONDING PULLEY, may have to be changed.
A Non-intercooled is the same hub and pulley as 2nd gen.
A Non-Intercooled 1991 has the wrong upper water inlet for the radiator hose, an Intercooled one works, though.

I know all of this because I once put a '91-1/2 intercooled engine into a 1996 with a 5 speed that HAD a diesel originally.

The only difference in ours is that you'll have to swap engine harnesses and ECMs.
The diesel dash harness won't work 100% correctly with the V-10 harness, because some lights are missing for the grid timer and WIF, but it's really no big deal.
The grid heaters will still function, just no light.
Your 12 valve TPS (assuming yours has a 518 O/D trans) should tie into the 12 valve auto harness that you'll need to run the tranny.

If this intrigues you, I also know some of the little quirks of the install, hit me up and I'll clue you in. :D

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Mopardragster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 am

Thanks for the info. It didn't work out though. He was trying to pass off a 2500 with dual wheels as a 3500. He acted pissed when I caught it. lol
Mopardragster
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 am

Oops!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 am

Mopardragster wrote:He was trying to pass off a 2500 with dual wheels as a 3500. He acted pissed when I caught it. lol

One of my peeve's...seeing a SRW "turned" into a DRW truck. Just doesn't look right to me...I know several members have done it for logical reasons, i.e. heavy towing/hauling, but it seems like the mass of conversions are done for the "cool" factor :roll: If someone does do it, take the time and convert the front, and get rid of the 250 badges, then it won't be so painfully obvious...

My 91 is a SRW 350 and it will forever stay that way, for originality :mrgreen:

Just my personal opinion ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am

Mopardragster wrote:Thanks for the info. It didn't work out though. He was trying to pass off a 2500 with dual wheels as a 3500. He acted pissed when I caught it. lol

So, I wasted all of that time typing out a comprehensive reply to you on this? :shock:
You should be glad I don't charge by the WORD! :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am

CumminsPower59 wrote:
Mopardragster wrote:He was trying to pass off a 2500 with dual wheels as a 3500. He acted pissed when I caught it. lol

One of my peeve's...seeing a SRW "turned" into a DRW truck. Just doesn't look right to me...I know several members have done it for logical reasons, i.e. heavy towing/hauling, but it seems like the mass of conversions are done for the "cool" factor :roll: If someone does do it, take the time and convert the front, and get rid of the 250 badges, then it won't be so painfully obvious...

My 91 is a SRW 350 and it will forever stay that way, for originality :mrgreen:

Just my personal opinion ;)

I'll agree to an extent. If you're going to do it, make it at least look factory. I turned my 91 D250 into a drw with all factory parts. I made sure to do the front also, I HATE the srw look on the front with duals. I'm very close to converting my w250 to drw, but you can bet itll have the matching fronts. I make just take the emblems off. Havent got that far yet lol.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

People are always looking to swap out thier DRW front hubs with SRW hubs...why not take them up on the offer? Then the truck will look like a proper DRW equipped truck...

Come to think of it, what's even worse it the many jack tards I have seen on CF trying to convert their 2wd's into 4wd's by using 2nd gen, GM or even Ford parts. It's plain EASIER to do the swap with proper 1st gen parts, very minimal fabrication (drilling a few holes, grinding a few rivets), and LESS EXPENSIVE in the long run. Some people's kids :roll:

Rant over :lol:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge