Jeff, School Me On Neons

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Jeff, School Me On Neons

Postby peobryant » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm ready to daily drive a car now. As much as I'd love to have a WRX I just can't find any in my price range right now and I'm tired of driving my truck in downtown Louisville everyday, especially maneuvering it through the parking garage for work. I've been looking for cheap to own but reliable cars and it seems that Dodge Neon's are popping up for pretty cheap but I don't know anything about them so I'm looking for expert advice.

My price range is about $3k and I've found quite a few early 2000's models ('00, '01 and '02) right at or under that price with under 130K miles and that seems like a good deal. Anything you can tell me about these cars would be a huge help. I've found a '02 5spd with 120K on it for $2800 and I'd like to jump on it if they're good, reliable cars.

Thanks in advance.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Jeff, School Me On Neons

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Sorry, I'm not Jeff, but I can give you some no-nonsense pointers.

First off, if they are available, get maintenance records.

They are fairly reliable cars, but the 1st thing I'd do is a timing belt, no matter what you've been led to believe by the PO.
Plan on a rough, roller skate-feeling ride and resign yourself to the fact that they are typically not all that comfortable.

120k miles means it has either had a timing belt already, or needs one NOW, also be sure to check for crankcase blowby when it's HOT and idling.
Speaking of HOT, make sure it kicks the fans on, leave it idle for a while to get them to kick on.

Check the "feel" of the clutch, if it's disengaging well below the rest point (3/4 to 1-1/2" is nice), it's probably good for a while.

Watch for inside tire wear, if it has new tires, lightly shoe polish across all 4 treads and drive a short ways on flat, paved ground.
Any polish missing to the inside means it needs at least an alignment, if not parts.
Typically, on a properly tracking car, the polish should be worn away near the center of the tire.

Drive it on rough ground and listen for rattles and clunks,which means tie rods are loose, ball joints are loose, bearings worn, shocks loose or bushings worn out, all this usually will show up as some form of noise.

All of this is in addition to the usual inspection you would do for leaks, rust damage, physical damage or bad previous repairs.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a vote for 93-96 Accords with the I4 Vtec and auto. Funish, not too big but big enough for a car seat or 4 adults, I average 28mpg right now, 230k miles, cheap. 5spd manuals are also plentiful in Honda of this era has a great reputation.

Dont get the V6 + auto combo. Autos dont hold up well to the V6.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

oldestof11 wrote:I have a vote for 93-96 Accords with the I4 Vtec and auto. Funish, not too big but big enough for a car seat or 4 adults, I average 28mpg right now, 230k miles, cheap. 5spd manuals are also plentiful in Honda of this era has a great reputation.

Dont get the V6 + auto combo. Autos dont hold up well to the V6.

I've been looking at those also, but I've found more Neons, closer and with less miles for cheaper than the Honda's. I'm not against a Honda at all but it seems like a Neon is the best bang for the buck around here.

I've also been seriously considering a new Dart. I test drove one and it was very nice. I don't know if I can bring myself to pay $150 a month for a payment even if that is relatively cheap. I'm just sick of daily driving my truck and the little things that it needs.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm

The less I drive my truck the more fun I have with it.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby dunes450r » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm

my wife drives a 2000 neon. we bought it to rack up miles. it had 180k freeway miles when we bought it and had stock everything. i've since replaced the: starter, alternator, belts, clutch, water pump, timing belt and tensioner. not my greatest idea for a high mileage rig, but oh well live and learn.

i also just bought a 98 neon. the clear coat is peeling and it has a few dents but for only $500 with 91k I won't be driving my pickup nearly as much.
1990 W250 getrag, 3.07's, 60k on full rebuild, DAP 5x14's, 12cm WG, 366 spring, 2nd gen IC not hooked up yet
dunes450r
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am

Currently I have a 95, 00, 02, and 05. I sold a 96 a couple weeks ago. The serve me and the daughters just fine.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 am

I just got an 03 r\t , Just don't run them low on oil....It wiped out the cam, rockers and head.

Check the shifter bushings also these were completely gone with 133k. like Mark said check rattling noises the strut bushings like to go out which causes a rattle. not a big deal unless its to the point it catches when it turns.

If you get an automatic they are kind of dogs better than the 2.2s. The cam sensor likes to crack and leak oil also.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge