vacuum booster rebuild project pictures

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

vacuum booster rebuild project pictures

Postby terryblue2002 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 am

Hi all. For those of you that would like to see pictures of my booster project.
I posted them on TDR at. My user name there is mysteryman

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/foru ... om-rebuild
terryblue2002
fuel screw!!!!

Re: vacuum booster rebuild project pictures

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks for taking the time to show us this and explaining it!

Sure would be nice to have a viable chain store option for these, rather than junk "rebuilts" or hoping a used one will last a while.
Same deal with the "rebuilt" master cylinders.
I don't know HOW these "rebuild" companies keep from getting sued, selling the crap they do, but I think the time is eventually coming when it happens.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: vacuum booster rebuild project pictures

Postby terryblue2002 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 am

Yes, They should be sued right out of business. What really frosts me is that Cardone knows exactly what they are putting out. And they just don't care... I called them out on the booster issue 2 years ago. I documented over a dozen boosters and showed in pictures exactly what caused the failures. I forwarded my reports to the DOT. Still nothing was done about the problem... Having working brakes on my truck is not negotiable ! This is why I have taken the time to do this project. I can't control what others do but I can control what I do. I should have done this project 30 years ago. But it was easier to just replace them with a new unit when they were still available new. Now there are not any more new ones left and the booster division at bendix is shut down for good... So I really did not have any choice but to do the booster project if I wanted to have working brakes! Some guys say switch over to hydro brakes.. They are NOT cheap . They need fixed a little more often than I like. And I just don't like the pedal feel.. The vacuum booster can is simple , cheap and virtually maintenance free. They also work quite well. What is not to like ? And with my rings and bolts they will be vary easy to service... If you derust and paint the inside of the cans with a good epoxy paint they will most likely last longer than the truck. It is rust on the inside of the booster can from condensation that causes them to fail most of the time..
I am also resleeving the MASTER CYLINDERS WITH STAINLESS sleeves.. They should never need servicing again as well.
I don't think any one noticed my mentioning that in my first post...

Mark Nixon wrote:Thanks for taking the time to show us this and explaining it!

Sure would be nice to have a viable chain store option for these, rather than junk "rebuilts" or hoping a used one will last a while.
Same deal with the "rebuilt" master cylinders.
I don't know HOW these "rebuild" companies keep from getting sued, selling the crap they do, but I think the time is eventually coming when it happens.

Mark.
terryblue2002
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Lounge