Time and Space Truckin'---Fresh Trash

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Time and Space Truckin'---Fresh Trash

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:Yeah, I was hoping he would post up some info/pics before I had to post my last post, but he didn't. So I did. :mrgreen:

Come on, man, give us the dirt on that baby. What're you gonna do with it?

If I know Arnie, 1 of 2 things will probably happen.
He'll get it running and actually drive it around on occasions, like parades and giving people rides around the section, or it will get put in the barn as a "long term project".

I need to roll out Arnie's to do some swapping, and to ogle his "trash" in his "museum" some day soon. ;)

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Arnold Layne » Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Okay, it's a Samson truck, between 1919 and 1922, have not looked for a number on it yet. It is a GM product, they introduced the Samson tractor and truck built in Janesville Wisconsin, the tractor was an effort to compete with the Fordson, but it sucked so badly that they shut down production of both after 3 or 4 model years. The truck is alleged to have been more successful than the tractor. It's the 1-1/2 ton model, mainly Chevrolet components, uses a Chevy model "490" engine and a three speed trans., no electrics on this one but a starter and lights were optional. My modus operundi with a piece like this is a "restorvation", I like to get them running right but preserve as much of the original, or at least old, finish as I can. If the next guy wants to do a full-on restoration that's up to him. I do show some stuff at the two big antique shows in NE. The tank doesn't really fit the truck, it will go down the road and be replaced with a flatbed or a grain box if I can find one. The truck drove into storage about 40 years ago, now it's dry stuck and missing the carb and the points cover on the mag. Pretty sure I have a Chevy car with the same engine that will run for donor parts as the car is pretty rough. I don't think it will be too bad getting it going, the wheels are what's got me nervous. It really needs two of 'em re-wooded and the Amish wheelwrights are about the only ones I know of doing quality work, they aren't in a hurry and they often like big numbers on the bill! :shock: I'm really more into model T Fords but this surfaced and I had to have it. It was stored in an abandoned Navy ammunition factory that was many square miles and hundreds of buildings, what is left has been turned into a couple big industrial businesses and a BUNCH of storage, there is all kinds of sweet trash out there but you will never see it unless you have a reason to be there. :( Will try to get some more pics later.
Arnold Layne
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BobS » Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 am

BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Lounge