Plastic Welder? Gas tank repair..

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Plastic Welder? Gas tank repair..

Postby bgilbert » Mon May 27, 2013 4:36 pm

I've got a crack in a plastic gas tank in a 70's model Dodge truck I recently bought. Anyone ever repair a plastic gas tank with a 'plastic welder'? BTW the truck has been nicknamed 'Ghost Rider'.. won't go into that one :shock: :lol: :lol: ..
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Re: Plastic Welder? Gas tank repair..

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 am

Not something that should be done.
I understand that it doesn't heat uniformly enough for that thick of plastic.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 am

It's nothing but a soldering iron but you'll need the plastic "rods" to do it right.

My brother in law body man uses one daily on body panel and is driving a truck with a patched tank right now. We tried to melt it together at first and used black zip tie to "fill in" the gap we made gouging it out. It looked good but cracked out while we were trying to install it. Pulled it back down,waited till we had the rods and tried it again and it held. The plastic in those rods have got to be way different cuase they melted easier and when the crack hardened back up it was really shinny where the rod was melted into it.

Bill....if in a pinch I'd do it for myself,but not for everyone else. Poor people have poor ways :lol:

FYI......this has been 1yr plus ago
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

ellis93 wrote: Poor people have poor ways :lol:

But you run a REPAIR SHOP!
You have enough wealth to do crappy repairs for the freeloading public and take on the liabilty, too!!! :lol:

You wouldn't believe how many people get pissy with me when I can tell them how to fix it and I won't do it FOR them. :roll:
I don't want the liability of being the last guy to work on it when they wreck it later.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby bgilbert » Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 am

ellis93 wrote:It's nothing but a soldering iron but you'll need the plastic "rods" to do it right.

My brother in law body man uses one daily on body panel and is driving a truck with a patched tank right now. We tried to melt it together at first and used black zip tie to "fill in" the gap we made gouging it out. It looked good but cracked out while we were trying to install it. Pulled it back down,waited till we had the rods and tried it again and it held. The plastic in those rods have got to be way different cuase they melted easier and when the crack hardened back up it was really shinny where the rod was melted into it.

Bill....if in a pinch I'd do it for myself,but not for everyone else. Poor people have poor ways :lol:

FYI......this has been 1yr plus ago

I would much rather just put a good tank in, but we're dealing with a hard to find fuel tank. The 70's model tanks are incredibly hard to find. Most of these 70's trucks have long been scrapped. :oops: .
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

Oh I understand Bill believe me :lol: everything I own is like that except the wifes 4runner. I got to have her in a mint ride while I nurse junk. Except for the dodge,I'm sure its coming, its work on it for a day.....drive it for 3 and the cycle repeats ;)

One other thought......check your local radiator shop out,see if they use an epoxy to repair cores with. The one here does and it's some awesome stuff,sticks to anything and tough as hell.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby nyford » Fri May 31, 2013 6:16 am

I have not had any luck with the plastic weld kit. I got one from Harbor Freight. I have had luck with the radiator repair patch kits from NAPA. They are a 2 part epoxy with a fiberglass mesh that is included.
nyford
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 am

Bill check out at the air port. Aircraft fuel cell sealer works good. I even used it to repair older Dodge steel tanks that were prone to rusting out threw the bottom.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge