WTH PEOPLE

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: WTH PEOPLE

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 am

"Dying" may be a bit of a strong word, just as some people may outgrow/change focus out of this site a whole other batch will be right there to fill their spots. Once the "bittervets" leave the newbies that were always so quiet to prevent backlash on their selves will finally test the waters with some conversation and find it to be as welcoming as they'd hoped, thus the cycle starts again. In a few years they themselves will be the bittervets moving on to other websites that aren't afraid of innovation or allow political talk or whatever.

/simba
It's the CIRRRRRRRRRCLLLLLLLEEEE OF LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 am

And it moves us aaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll!

Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:00 pm

oldestof11 wrote:They are for a higher class.

^^^^
Reminded me of a good song. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XuL8g2Szse0
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:06 pm

That did come to mind when I was typing. :lol:
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Jon :roll: back at you :lol:

I wasn't talking about you and Mark.....I was talking about cougar. The "those" word I used was an attempt to not single anyone out.

Funny thing about life Jon,it doesn't stay constant. It always changes....always. Things improve and some take a turn for the worse.

As far as the leadership of that site being a who's who of the diesel world.....that's all fine and dandy for some but to me I could care less. Shit I ain't impressed, Johnson motor sports,builders of progressive nitrous kits, twin turbo kits for newer model mustangs, same folks that build cars for muscle mustangs and fast fords,are not even a 1/4mile down the road from my shop. I align their cars after suspension mods and such......guess what they ain't nothing but people,decent people,but people all the same. They don't deserve any more respect than any newb on here asking about the kind of oil folks use.
To black hole a tread like that is an elitist attitude,so when we answer that does it make this site better or worse than there?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:10 pm

I think there's a generational and economic aspect of it too.

When I went to SOP 9, I was the youngest there by 10 years. Kids these days go out and have mommy and daddy co-sign on a used DMax or CR. First gens aren't a stepping stone. If you have a first gen at this point, you want one and likely would have it no other way. People with 1st gens are few and far between anymore, so the pool of owners isn't dying per se, but drying up.

Therefore I consider the VE platform dead. When under 10 people around the country are "pushing the envelope", the platform is dead. Within 10 years, I suspect seeing a 1st gen on the road will be rare. The 1st gen movement is dead. Individuals can still be innovative, but at this point the group's (1st gen owners) feeling is that these trucks are just trucks. They're just simple and reliable.

A site specializing in a particular kind of truck will only reflect that.

Drive the truck. Make it do what it's meant to do. Race, pull, tow, drive, stomp rice burners, whatever.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 am

Some folks buy 1st gens because they can afford them and not a new or newer truck, some because of the style,
some because of the dependability and simplicity of the engine and basic older workings of the truck in general,
I got one for all of the above reasons, I am a slow poster on here because most if not all of the members know
more than I about the workings of the cummins, and when I have what I feel like is a dumb question I send it
in a PM to the member that seem to have some expertise in that field, for instance I send Pete all the questions
about my septic system...... :mrgreen:

I am not a fan of the ride of these old trucks, and got my kidneys handed to me many times this weekend hauling
tractors and my camper to a big show, but I do love the style and the engine.

while sitting in line to empty out the tanks on the camper I had 7 people make a point to walk up to the truck and
say how cool or neat it was to be using the old truck like it was built to be used, I think there are lots of people that
like these old 1st gens but just don't make a point to go out and find one, it's easy to go to the corner lot and buy a chevy
one there.

I for some unknown reason have a combination of parts that works very well for what I do, and that is tow mostly, and on occasion
will chim in on that.

We all like to see these young guys get excited about building and restoring these trucks, and we try to encourage them in doing so.

this is by far the best site for general 1st gen info, and the least amount of drama.

RC is one of the best posters on this site and the others (I am on all of them as well) for answering those newb questions
time and time again about the same thing without putting the poster down...

thanks for that RC, we were all new and uninformed once.
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks, that truly means a lot to me. :D

I own a 1st gen for these reasons:

You CAN actually make all the power one needs with one. Let's face it, if you need more power.... it's nothing more than a want thing.

They are by far the cheapest Cummins to own. Yes, a lot of them will nickel and dime you to death..... at first. But everything on these trucks is built with quality and therefore once replaced you shouldn't have to deal with it again for a very long time.

They are RELIABLE, very, very, reliable. To this day I've yet to have one ever leave me on the side of the road. Only vehicle that I can say that for (except my '03 common rail I had)

The only thing I hate and I mean hate about my truck..... is how stiff the suspension is. I have been "planning" to deal with it for a few years now, but always seem to put it off. Now, because I'm lifted and have an extremely heavy body..... I'm not sure softening up the ride will work. I mean crap, my truck weighs 30# more than a buddy's 93 extended cab long box with a dana 80 rear axle , lifted on 35s. :roll:
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

I'm in a catch 22 kinda thing, I need it to haul really heavy but I hate the ride, and i'm sure when momma rides in it
she wants me to get rid of it.

I keep running a complete air ride suspension through my head, then I price some of the components and that takes it out
of my head real fast.
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:44 am

Beats a price on a new truck don't it :)
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 am

Same here.........my possible thoughts are 1/2 springs, proper ladder bars (sway up front) and then a very large pillow style bag.

Therefore.........I can run the bag soft and of course they get stiff quick. Yet, if I need to I can let a lot of air out of the bags and have really soft suspension.

And of course the ladder bars to keep the axles under me.

Problem is.........it's starting to get complicated.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 am

Ellis I agree today...but last night after the 10th bone shattering bump I mite have thought ...hay a new truck don't sound that bad.

my problem is all of my heavy hauling mods have been made in my barn, if I could get all the moths out of my wallet and actually buy
some good products for hauling it mite make a difference.

Dar
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:09 am

Dar I can tell you I was in the same boat,and wanted newer a few months ago and went looking. I seen a few 18k 10yr old trucks and decided against it. I ain't paying that,can't really,not now. All my side shuffling buyin and selling has dried up. Freaking economy is starting to blow. I'll stick with the old man for awhile yet,least till the right gas burner Chevy 1 ton comes along 8)

What about a 2wd for hauling duty and leave your ton truck for camper duty
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 am

Even with the camper in it is not what I would call even a decent ride, and that's when momma is in it the most,
she won't even talk about a long trip out west at the moment. it's just a rough ridding truck, hell look at it....what
do you expect.

I may have to go a different direction for the camping mobile, like a mid 60's chevy with a 60's retro small trailer or
small light truck camper.

this weekend we saw a 1952 chevy with a late 50's air stream and it was about the coolest thing I have seen,
they had been all over the country with that thing.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Dar I have a new F250 at work that rides just as rough as a 1st gen does. The duramx I had wasn't bad riding but wanted to sway and wonder on the road with my big slide in camper I had. I've road in a few new dodges that don't ride much better so if nice ride out of the box is what you are after don't expect much. For as bad as my 250 work truck rides it still doesn't handle a load well.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge