My 2 cents worth

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: My 2 cents worth

Postby cmann250 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 am

It's a shift in society. I am entrenched in it everyday. Despite what anyone may argue, the Midwest drives the diesel scene for better or worse. Going to a university with a very strong ag college likely over exposes me to it, but it seems like every farm boy has a diesel pick up these days. A lot of them think a hard day's work is 10 hours in the grain cart.

It's a shift in society that I can't stop, other than putting up numbers at a dyno day that leaves most of them momentarily confused. :lol: I like to represent quietly.

Part of the same shift is making first gen parts hard to find.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:30 am

At first reading this thread I was kind of whatever, but then I read a few more posts and realized I agreed with pretty much everything. My truck has so much bondo on the bed it's not really salvageable, as is the passenger door, and I need new rockers, drivers side fender, and grill. The thing is though is they're all damaged, otherwise I wouldn't do anything, and when I get the new stuff it's just getting painted. I have no desire to cut it up for any reason. Also I'm no longer a big fan of making smoke just to make smoke. I want to make smoke because the truck is so powerful the turbo can't clear it up
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for your comments guys. Gave me more to think about.
I'm one of those "old guys". In retrospect, I can't totaly blame the "new generation" for doing what I did when I was that age. I am guilty of making a few "Franken cars" of my own. Chopped and channeled, lowered and louvered, cheater slicks and baby moons. Never looked forward, just my own image therapy. Hard to explain really. Maybe it's this "death by apathy" thing that bothers me more the older I get. I know I've gotten on some of you about things like this and maybe now you can begin to understand why I did it. Call me selfish if you want, but slowly killing what you love no longer makes sense to me.
I too, save my parts. I quit butchering parts a long time ago and I seek alternatives. I meant what I said about there being a lot of ingenuity in this group. We should make better use of it.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby Kasper Cummins » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Sorry, I guess I'm one of those "kids". I don't mind modifying stuff to make it what I want, because I'm sure I'll die still owning it. I understand what you guys are saying though, like the bed has 90% of the paint left on the inside and not a single hole and it will stay that way!
92 W250 club cab

Kasper Performance Fabrication
Kasper Cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby opiebennett » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 pm

I did the whole chop up a car thing once. Still own it, it looks like this now:

buggy in the mirror

I cant drive it to work, and it spends 345 days per year holding the garage floor down.

I'm doing small mods to the first gen, I've installed gauges on the pillar, fuel pin, fuel screw, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, have a 366 spring to put in...

I did put 3rd gen aluminum wheels on it to update the appearance a bit, but I dont think it looks bad.

I'd like to put a better converter in, put the front suspension on coil overs so it rides nicer, throw a HE351CW on there with matching injectors and pump timing, but I keep coming back to the fact that its a 210,000 mile truck that I paid $4,700 for, so putting $10,000 into it doesn't seem to pay out - I'll still have a 210,000 mile truck with a regular cab and a worn out chassis.

Works good for what it is, and I'm going to keep driving it till I have a good reason not too.
Bryan 'Opie' Bennett
91.5 5.9L with 21mm H1C/A518/NP205 Reg Cab LE Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp/BD Fuel Pin/Some fuel screw/Diamond Eye 4" exhaust/B+M Deep Trans Pan/3rd Gen aluminum wheels
opiebennett
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cougar » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Another good thing about hanging onto your old parts is if you go to sell it or if it get wrecked like mine, you can keep your $$$$$ mods and give them the original parts. Wasn't about to give that insurance company a $1500 turbo for free.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby The_Head » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:24 pm

CumminsPower59 wrote:This is just me, but I'm starting to not like the mass of the teen-early twenties young people that are buying these trucks because of the "cool" factor or whatever. Seems to me that they are the majority that are trashing these trucks. I understand that there are a good amount of younger people that own 1st gens that actually care about them and what not, but it appears to me that there are more that just want the "in" thing. When I was parts swapping yesterday, the young man I met up with and I were having this same discussion, and he said something that made sense, he had a term that he used to described what these younger people get...."1st gen boners". They buy these trucks and rice them out just like the newer stuff....

Ok, rant over :lol:

Man, I hope I can capitalize on this when I decide to sell mine. Hopefully I can find someone with more money than sense :lol: The "first gen boner" thing is over for me, because I can't find these things in the junkyards, and most of the OE parts are phased out, or being phased out.

It is cool to see that old man driving a beat up first gen around that he's probably owned for 20 years, and it's still chugging along.
1992 Dodge Power Ram 250 (sold)
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman, RC, 4WD, G56, Traxda 2.5/1" leveling kit
The_Head
14mm rotor

Postby matthewh » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 pm

I bought mine cause it was just like what dad drove all the years I could remember. I wanted the 1st Gen body style, always appealed to me. I searched for a couple of years before I found the 93, prolly paid more than its worth, but here in Michigan, rust free, low mileage bring a premium. It does everything I want it too, if I need more, I know people with more equipped, capable trucks. I'm 27, and I hope it was an investment I can keep and pass down to my kids one day.
I save what parts I can, and thanks to sites like this, I know how to modify the quirks to make it last, and what parts i can scavenge off newer to make it better
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Lounge