Emissions Discussion...

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Emissions Discussion...

Postby dpuckett » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 pm

The big rigs with the dpfs are absolute junk in terms of dependability. I drive some internationals with the maxx force engines (I know, why put a perfectly good boat anchor where an engine should go?), and they are absolutely horrible on parked regens and having no power. <200k, and some regen once a week. Gotta downshift on I55 with an empty trailer, etc, etc. the older engines with just egr run like scalded dogs.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm

One driver at work runs a T800 with the Paccar engine (I assume, the truck is brand new) and he regens more than once a week. The Cat truck isn't on the road enough to really have a good handle on how much it regens. :lol:

Long live the 855 and 3406!

As far as pick-ups go, I've talked to more and more people that have emissions trucks who are happy with them stock. I guess the first batch in '08 were the problem children. Now 8 model years out, I guess they more or less figured it out. So I hear. I'd still hesitate to own one.

Are DPF thefts hot around anyone else? I've heard of a dozen or so cases around here. People steal them, sell them to a "buyer" out of Chicago, and the buyer sells them to the scrap yards.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby 93flatbed » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 pm

In this chit hole state I live in I have to go do emissions every year. I have to do an idle test (no big deal) but I also have to do a rev test. They put a sensor over the stack (in my case) and tell me to hold the trottle to the floor. I found out quick that's a fail. 40 PPM (parts per million) is the limit. I've since learned a can of Copenhagen snuff unerring the floor mat that limits the amount of travel for the throttle peddle works. I have a factory tac so I throw a hat over it so they can't see I'm only spinning 2,000 rpm.

They also tried to nail me for no muffler. I read up on the AZ law saying "a divice between the tail pipe and exhaust manifold" I told the 12 year old manager that what are those big things hanging off the side of my exhaust manifold? He says they are turbo's. I say well aren't they between my engine and where you are testing. He says yes. I say well fawlk off. They are my muffler. I got a "not able to test" that year. Which is a pass around here.
93 W250. Waiting on EFI live to come out with a ve version.
93flatbed
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Lounge