Emissions Discussion...

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Emissions Discussion...

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:35 am

I've been wondering about the looming emissions issue for a while. It's a flat out fact the average Joe in America does not have the most flattering view of modified diesel pick-ups and the public is fed so much garbage by the media on the subject.

Being in the 18-24 demographic, I always get asked "Does it smoke?" and my response is "It runs good. It's capable of mass air pollution if that's what you're into.". I'm not in the doom and gloom mode like some are , thinking government will outlaw diesel pick-ups. I just am curious about what emissions tests are like and if we, as owners of trucks that are 20+ years old, are exempt from them. Lets be real, when a VE truck starts an emissions test is over.

I have two issues with emissions equipment. 1.) The government should keep their fingers out of it. I'll leave it there. 2.) Reliability! Since I'm working at Cat this summer, I see so many emissions trucks in for the most bizarre problems. Every OTR guy I talk to says run like the wind from emissions trucks.

Your thoughts?
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: Emissions Discussion...

Postby ellis93 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Personally I think it's all a racket,scam,to force a political agenda. Nothing more or less. I'll set that right there and leave it for anyone else's imagination. Do the vehicles of today need them? I don't think so, the efi of today is now where near the horrible mechanical systems of yesteryear.

I also believe that egr systems are a serious death sentence for any engine,gas or diesel. Your basically forcing your engine to eat its own excrement,waste. How in the world can that possibly be a good idea.
I'm not really on the up and up with the urea stuff to even contemplate it's down fall or shortcomings,besides the economic factor it'll have on the owners wallet.
Those converters/filters thing I can see being a problem yet again I don't see all that many to form a good opinion on them. I've seen the gas stuff run for thousands of miles with little issues other than the heat they produce. Where problems arise it's normally a reflection of some poor maintenance or operation. You know the type,"I've had this truck for 12 years an haven't done anything to it", usually that means no gas filters or tune ups. They'll run the fuel tank down till the light comes on,heating the fuel pump up to a point that it'll consume it plastic entrails and drop psi till it causes the engine to lean out. Which causes the combustion temps to sky rocket and over heat the converter so badly it melts together. At that point it's looked upon as junk and cut off or gutted.
I'm sure the fact that diesel exhaust runnin thru one has a similar effect when some kid is making his truck puke smoke. That being making it stop up and cause issue from there.

Have I ever gotten rid of any of this on my own vehicles? I won't say :lol:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Diesel soot is awful in URBAN environments. The EPA is reacting instead of being proactive. So instead of saying "we need to find a reliable way to reduce soot" they say " soot must be xxPPM by 2010". So the industry reacts but doesn't do a whole lot of testing.

My biggest beef is all the idiots. "Muh truck, Muh money, I pay Muh taxes, Muh way of life." They blow smoke because they're told not to.

I see this as the 1974-1995 era for diesels. I just don't want a DPF I have to add to my truck because of idiots. If a high glowing DPF becomes available, I may slap it on. It'd be nice to warm the truck without filling the garage with smoke. Think of running your truck in winter to work on it and not having your eyes or nostrils burn.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Do you think if da' fuzz started handing out $250 tickets that the word would get around and the coal oralling would curb itself? The most visible form of emissions would go away after a while.

Or maybe the fad will just die. Fun fact: I Googled "rollin coal" and there are 1.1 million hits.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:26 pm

This is one of those topics that really irritates me because of the dipshits around here. I'm to the point with the little truck of putting a gasser back in it. I agree there are too many stupid laws and the last we need is laws passed making us do dpfs on our trucks.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Black93 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 pm

They started testing diesels 11k & under here about 8 or so years ago. It's just an opacity test at idle. I think you're allowed up to 10 ppm, every year but one I've registered 0 ppm and the one odd year was .1 ppm.

Speaking of black smoke, I saw a commercial earlier today for Inside Edition. They are gonna do a coal oraler segment Monday evening. Expect to see dumbasses if you watch it.
1993 W350 LE ext. cab dually, tuned pump, 60mm HX35, NV4500, 4" straight tbe, 366, 1/8" bump, THD fuel pin & lppp, DPS manifold, DFI 5x12's, 3" tubes, PS IC, D80 rear, 3.54's, 4th gen Alcoas.
Black93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:23 pm

On Facebook:

I won't get ticket as I'll tell cop they don't pay my bills so I'll drive what and how I please.

Jonathon J. Haas: Seriously. I LMAO reading that!

Nick Carson: Yeah, you let me know how that works. That's some next level stupid, even by coal oraler standards.

Brandon Carr: Sean Roby, just make sure you are driving with an open beer at the same time, please for my sake, i would laugh and laugh and laugh!
get over it, clean it up for a bit and stop being a pathetic moron.
Listen to Jon and Nick. They are wiser than you obviously are.

Sean Roby: I don't drink n drive but I'll tell a cop how it is thy ain't the one who pays my bills so I'll drive what I want how I want. I pay my taxes n for everything else I own so ill tell any cop thy don't like it they can pay a portion of my bill.

Richard Simpson: Wow, I feel like I'm on an episode of punked! How often do you you pull some cops over just to let them know how much of a tax contribution you make towards their income. This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long long time.

Nick Carson: You are a complete and total idiot, and a disgrace to the diesel community.

Sean Roby: If thy pull me over for something that's when I'll let em know it till then I don't have worry I've had my truck sideways next to cop before but cops where I'm from already know me so they know how I am.

I have no hope anymore.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:22 am

Black93 wrote:They started testing diesels 11k & under here about 8 or so years ago. It's just an opacity test at idle. I think you're allowed up to 10 ppm, every year but one I've registered 0 ppm and the one odd year was .1 ppm.

That's very interesting. Have you heard of anyone failing the test?

oldestof11 wrote:I won't get ticket as I'll tell cop they don't pay my bills so I'll drive what and how I please.

Wow. At least we are at the peak of this fad and it'll eventually go away.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 am

oldestof11 wrote:On Facebook:

I won't get ticket as I'll tell cop they don't pay my bills so I'll drive what and how I please.

Nick Carson: Yeah, you let me know how that works. That's some next level stupid, even by coal oraler standards.

Brandon Carr: Sean Roby, just make sure you are driving with an open beer at the same time, please for my sake, i would laugh and laugh and laugh!

Sean Roby: I don't drink n drive but I'll tell a cop how it is thy ain't the one who pays my bills so I'll drive what I want how I want. I pay my taxes n for everything else I own so ill tell any cop thy don't like it they can pay a portion of my bill.

Richard Simpson: Wow, I feel like I'm on an episode of punked! How often do you you pull some cops over just to let them know how much of a tax contribution you make towards their income. This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long long time.

Nick Carson: You are a complete and total idiot, and a disgrace to the diesel community.

Sean Roby: If thy pull me over for something that's when I'll let em know it till then I don't have worry I've had my truck sideways next to cop before but cops where I'm from already know me so they know how I am.

I have no hope anymore.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sure was a bunch of wasted band width on all those quotes.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 am

oldestof11 wrote:On Facebook:

I have no hope anymore.

Another reason why I don't waste much time on FB groups.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Black93 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am

cmann250 wrote:That's very interesting. Have you heard of anyone failing the test?

No one that I know with a diesel has failed it.
1993 W350 LE ext. cab dually, tuned pump, 60mm HX35, NV4500, 4" straight tbe, 366, 1/8" bump, THD fuel pin & lppp, DPS manifold, DFI 5x12's, 3" tubes, PS IC, D80 rear, 3.54's, 4th gen Alcoas.
Black93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93oneton » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Yes my truck smokes if you make it. Yes you can drive it without it smoking. A few ratards can ruin sthi for every one. I have noticed that the older diesels (ford or dodge) are becoming cheaper and more readily available for high school kids. Their is a pack of them at our local high school. They definitely think its cool. Not emrpesive at all. I hope this fad goes away as quickly as it came.
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 am

No emissions here. If they do start it. That could get interesting with my truck having a 2014 assembled motor vehicle title. I sure would hate to meet the 2014 spec's. :lol:
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Remps » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 am

Most of the brand new diesels around here puke more smoke than my 2nd gen, DPF or not. So I ain't worried. :roll:
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 pm

My biggest problem is the tuning with the dpf equipped trucks is the tuning. I ran it through the timing calculator I have, and it's often pushing 60+% of the fuel atdc (and that's in the top end. In the mid range it's pushing 100+% of the fuel atdc) after deleting and learning how to do the custom tuning I don't think having that junk on there is all that bad (except for egr. That's the devil) but I am glad I don't have to worry about it anymore. With the stock turbo it was a smoky pig, and I wasn't a fan of that (I liked the power though) now with the s400 it cleans up much better, but I do have the big single issues. Since it doesn't light until 2100rpm if I roll into it it leaves a pretty big cloud even with it not fuelling hard until it sees boost
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge