2018 BS and chat thread

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: 2018 BS and chat thread

Postby PToombs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

My mom keeps trying to dose me with a Hot Whisky Sling. Boil water, a shot of whiskey and some sugar in a cup. It's warm, opens the sinus', and knocks you out for the night.
That Tamiflu is supposed to knock it out, but I saw on the news it's in short supply again. They also said flu's in 46 out of 50 states. Not good!
Maybe you should cut back to an 8 or 9 hour day until you feel better?
Hope you feel Better Ellis!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm

PToombs wrote:My mom keeps trying to dose me with a Hot Whisky Sling. Boil water, a shot of whiskey and some sugar in a cup. It's warm, opens the sinus', and knocks you out for the night.
That Tamiflu is supposed to knock it out, but I saw on the news it's in short supply again. They also said flu's in 46 out of 50 states. Not good!
Maybe you should cut back to an 8 or 9 hour day until you feel better?
Hope you feel Better Ellis!

I appreciate it,I wish I could slow down Pete. It can't happen,I have 17 cars in the parking lot right now......some tune ups,brakes,front end work.......a few transmissions to build. Absolutely no time for me to be idle. Plus my wife and in laws have cooked up a trip for me to take with them and the kids......Freaking Disney world in February. Of all the dang places.....
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby fatty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm

ellis93 wrote:
fatty wrote:Just be a man about it. :P

Having this and still going to work is being a man about it! This morning it would be really easy to say screw it lol

I thought the whole point of being self employed was so you can take time off whenever you want/need?
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:36 am

fatty wrote:
ellis93 wrote:
fatty wrote:Just be a man about it. :P

Having this and still going to work is being a man about it! This morning it would be really easy to say screw it lol

I thought the whole point of being self employed was so you can take time off whenever you want/need?

That's true,I "can" take the time,it will be a detriment to my wallet tho lol. If I don't work,I don't eat......wouldn't be a problem if it was just me.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 pm

ellis93 wrote: If I don't work, I don't eat.......

I've seen pics of you, you can afford to miss a few meals..... :twisted:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

PToombs wrote:
ellis93 wrote: If I don't work, I don't eat.......

I've seen pics of you, you can afford to miss a few meals..... :twisted:

I'm no stranger to the table lol.......the last few years have not been kind. Guess that's what happens when you eat meals at 9/9:30 at night :oops:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am

You need to make time to get over this, I hear that 43 people have died this year from the flu.

take care of yourself, those cars will still be there after you get better, and if the folks can't wait on you they can come and get them and take them someplace eles.

you sound like my cousin that had a garage at home, he would get so run down trying to make people happy it would make him sick.

he had to close down and get a job somewhere eles, he just couldn't say no to people.

your just to dang nice Ellis ..... :lol:
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:You need to make time to get over this, I hear that 43 people have died this year from the flu.

take care of yourself, those cars will still be there after you get better, and if the folks can't wait on you they can come and get them and take them someplace eles.

you sound like my cousin that had a garage at home, he would get so run down trying to make people happy it would make him sick.

he had to close down and get a job somewhere eles, he just couldn't say no to people.

your just to dang nice Ellis ..... :lol:

I'm much better today........and,I'm not that nice lol.

My dad did the same as your family,it wound up killing him at 57. I'm not that way,I can and have said no many times to lots of people. Some respect it some don't. Those that don't I'm better off without.

We pretty much live in an instant society.....everything is looked at like a McDonald value menu,long as it's fast and cheap....they're happy,until they're not. The they're not comes when that value job shows just what it was worth.....nothing. Then they'll bitch,moan,and complain about that,then cry when you tell them what it cost to repair what's wrong plus whatever else is screwed up by the last jack leg that was in there.
You couldn't imagine what comes out of some of the shops around me.....some are just plain scary on how they do things.
I've thought about a career change for years....sadly I feel indentured to this shop. Feel like it's part of me. My father started it in the early 90s and I grew up within it,left for awhile when he and I didn't jive (all my fault),and came back to it after 4yrs in 2004. For 14years I've poured myself into this thing and I'm dug in like a tick in a dogs ear lol
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Gots_a_sol » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm

I just got out from being stuck in a family business last year and I wish I had done it a long time ago. Unfortunately the main reason for that is my father passed away in July :( The stress of the business floundering was just too much and he had a fatal heart attack, a month before his 55th b-day.

While that was a terrible loss, I took the opportunity to shut down the business and go work for someone else. I am doing so much better and stress levels are way, way, waaaaay down now that I am not stuck in that situation.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

ellis93 wrote:I'm no stranger to the table lol.......the last few years have not been kind. Guess that's what happens when you eat meals at 9/9:30 at night :oops:

I know, apply that right to the gut! :lol: You're better off to eat earlier then work or whatever until closer to bed. Better for you too, but obviously know that. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Gots_a_sol wrote:I just got out from being stuck in a family business last year and I wish I had done it a long time ago. Unfortunately the main reason for that is my father passed away in July :( The stress of the business floundering was just too much and he had a fatal heart attack, a month before his 55th b-day.

While that was a terrible loss, I took the opportunity to shut down the business and go work for someone else. I am doing so much better and stress levels are way, way, waaaaay down now that I am not stuck in that situation.

I've thought about it.....very hard. I'd definitely make more money doing what I do but at the same time I don't have some jackass in a suit making pointless procedure demands to a manager,to have "her" tell me how to do my job. I've been thru that before and I'll be damned if I deal with it again.
If I were to actually quit automotive mechanics.....it would be 100% stop and I'd find myself some shutdowns or pipeline work....might even contact some folks I know doing offshore work. I don't do well on water but I'd man up and manage. There's stupid money to be made if a man knows a few crafts.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm

PToombs wrote:
ellis93 wrote:I'm no stranger to the table lol.......the last few years have not been kind. Guess that's what happens when you eat meals at 9/9:30 at night :oops:

I know, apply that right to the gut! :lol: You're better off to eat earlier then work or whatever until closer to bed. Better for you too, but obviously know that. ;)

Yeah,I know. I had started bringing sandwich material to the shop (only choke and puke gas station viddles to be had around there) but there's only so many you can eat before you start getting sick of that. Even swapping meats and cheeses got elderly. It's still a sandwich lol
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 am

ellis93 wrote:
Gots_a_sol wrote:I just got out from being stuck in a family business last year and I wish I had done it a long time ago. Unfortunately the main reason for that is my father passed away in July :( The stress of the business floundering was just too much and he had a fatal heart attack, a month before his 55th b-day.

I've thought about it.....very hard. I'd definitely make more money doing what I do but at the same time I don't have some jackass in a suit making pointless procedure demands to a manager,to have "her" tell me how to do my job. I've been thru that before and I'll be damned if I deal with it again.
If I were to actually quit automotive mechanics.....it would be 100% stop and I'd find myself some shutdowns or pipeline work....might even contact some folks I know doing offshore work. I don't do well on water but I'd man up and manage. There's stupid money to be made if a man knows a few crafts.

I have been pretty fortunate for the last decade. For the 8 years at the factory, I had an ok boss for 2 years, and 5 years of awesome bosses, and 1 boss to ruin them all. From the time I had a blow up and said F this place to giving my 2 weeks was 2 weeks. So 1 month. They tried everything to keep me there. Even offering management but without a written guarantee. AT&T is nothing but numbers driven. My boss said F the numbers, take care of the customer and the numbers will follow. My bosses numbers were #3 in the state out of 57 different areas. He made his quota and would get $2000-$3000 bonuses per quarter. Would take us all to Top Golf and order the food and first round of drinks. Left there for something 68 miles closer to home.

Now CenturyLink is numbers driven but not the AT&T's degree. My boss takes care of 17 guys in 3 different areas. His motto: do your job right and you'll never be worried. Never been worried a day in the last year. I see him as often as once a week. I have gone 6 weeks without seeing him. He's a cool cat and fights for us.

All of this to say its not really the suits that make or break ya, its the immediate supervisor
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm

I hate winter.

A lot of it has already melted but I still hate it. We're supposed to get more tomorrow night, too, along with single digit or below zero temps. Come on, Spring!
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby Gots_a_sol » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 pm

^Agreed. Last weekend was miserable. It was 0 when I left the house and only about 5 or 6 when I got to the track for the annual Hangover race.

-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge