Nitrogen filled tires

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby bgilbert » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:47 pm

New tires?? :lol: Heck I haven't bought a 'new' set of tires for any of my 1st gens EVER. Got my first one in about 2000 IIRC. I either come across used ones better than what I got for trade or cheap, or just buy a whole truck be it parts truck or runner that already has a good set of tires on it 8) 8) 8) :lol: . "When the tires start looking bad, time for another parts truck". :lol:

On the subject of nitrogen filled tires. I haven't come across a free oxygen regulator yet :roll: . So I just have a large nitrogen cylinder sitting in the garage for now. I like the idea of it being completely dry. Certainly that has to be good for tires. Not to mention having that drying action of nitrogen to dry, blow off, purge, or you name it to whatever. Did I mention it's free for me? hehe
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Update

Postby bgilbert » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Well I've got one tire on the gas truck that leaks down real bad. Drained it, filled it up with nitrogen, result equals leaks much slower. This is a truck that sits most of the warm season. I bet if I drove it all the time like I do in the cold season, the tire would leak down much slower than normal.

Filled the race auto truck's tires with nitrogen and it's true, from what I've found, the pressure stays the same.

The only bad thing about it is there is only 230 cubic feet of gas in these nitrogen cylinders. Not much when you fill 265/75/16 LR E truck tires. I went through almost a full cylinder on 5 tires.

But what I like the most about these is, to use it on air tools such as a die grinder or cut off wheel. My sissy Sears 30 gallon air compressor will only maintain 50 psi when using my cut off wheel non-stop. I bought a carbon dioxide (CO2) regulator, can run up to 175psi, so I can run it way up there when filling tires or run it up around 100psi when using the cut off wheel.

I used the cut off wheel to cut a 4" piece of pipe, had an hx40 flange and didn't want to torch it and couldn't get it in my chop saw. Used 2 cylinders of nitrogen to cut it :roll: :shock: . Man those things use some air.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby GLHS » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

If you buy tires at Costco they use nitrogen.
92 W250 ext cab, 5spd, SPS 62/71/14, ATS 3 piece, Banks 3G intake, Icebox CAI, DDP #4+, timing 1.95 mm, SB 4 puck FE, PDR fuel pin, Hellmann intercooler, Snow water/meth, 60# springs, stock long block, D80 3.54 w/disks, 455+/1005 uncorrected, 13.34@102 7-06; 472 fuel/520 water/meth uncorrected 5-08
GLHS
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Lounge