dyno?

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

dyno?

Postby nooblet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:21 am

I don't know what section to post this in, so I'm putting it here...

I'm going to a dyno April 12th and 13th. I've never dyno'd anything before, hell I've never even seen a dyno before!

I was just wondering if you guys could give me a quick run down on what to expect? I'm sure these guys are going to be dynoing quite a few trucks that weekend, so I'd like to do my best to be prepared so I can get in and get out of their way asap.

What does a dyno run consist of? Do you run the engine up in a single gear or do you shift through gears like normal?

Will I be in my truck or will some tech be controlling my truck while I watch?

Are there any big do's and don'ts to dynoing?

Also the guy said its $60 for three runs, why would I need to do 3 runs? Do I average the three runs or whats the deal with that?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:23 am

Btw, this is the Central Texas Spring Dyno in Buda, TX that I'm talking about. I don't remember seeing too many people on this board from this area, but I was wondering if anyone was going to go?

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:04 am

dyno today for me is 3 runs for 50 buck, you pull your truck on they strap it down, then you run it throught the gears, for std i think you do it in thrird and when they tell you to you hammer it, its only like 5 seconds of hammering it then thats it.

make sure you warm up the truck, lol
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:18 am

I never dynoed until last fall. I didn't know what to expect either, so I'll help you out as best I can!
Like CK said, pull the truck on, they strap it down. They want to know the tire height (roughly,31 inches), and rear ax ratio. If it's a stick, they will tell you what gear to put it in, usually 4th, which is 1.1. If you drive, you run the truck up to speed, (he'll tell you how fast) like 30 mph. Then he tell's you to mash it, and you floor it! When it hits where it defuels, let off. The guy will check his read outs, and have you do it again.
I think my torque reading suffered a little because my AFC starwheel is bottomed out. When I mashed it the truck overfueled and didn't wind smooth. This time I'll hit it a little slower, and see what happens, give the turbo time to light. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 am

If it's a dynojet or inetia dyno you'll want to dyno in overdrive 5th gear or od. Mustang load dyno you'll want to dyno in direct 1:1 4th on a 5th speed.

I normally don't like to give out this information, most important. But here goes... Get there first! Run first! ASAP, sign up ASAP! Don't wait around and watch, get your run in, then sit around and watch. Dyno's break, they malfunction etc. You might drive 500 miles to an event to dyno only to watch 1 or 20 trucks in front of you dyno, then during that one right before your scheduled run, the dyno breaks or malfunctions and you're screwed. Sure you save your $50 bucks, but you drove there to dyno.

Plus sometimes it takes awhile to dyno trucks. I like to get it over with asap, then I can watch, shoot the bull or watch the other events.

Note: this information only applies to events I'm not at or not planning on dynoing ;) ;) :lol:
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:48 pm

i was suppost to dyno to day but the dyno broke before anybody was able to run, supositly the was a big turn out, oh well there re doing it and there doin it for FREE!!!
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:04 am

Ok, so basically it depends on what type of dyno it is. Thanks for the information guys! Feel free to add any more information to this! Like I said this event isn't until the 12-13th of April.

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Re: dyno?

Postby bgilbert » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 am

nooblet wrote:Will I be in my truck or will some tech be controlling my truck while I watch?

Are there any big do's and don'ts to dynoing?

I'll add that sometimes the dyno operator will allow you to run your truck. Some only run it themselves. During that time, usually, you are allowed to sit in the passenger seat if you wish.

You might also be sure your front hubs are unlocked as well prior to getting on the dyno, just in case your t-case is in 4hi. Don't be surprised to see your front driveshaft spin a little bit while in 2hi and the dyno operator is running through the gears. You can use your brakes to help build boost if necessary, but it's like trying to stop your truck at 100mph with your rear drums only :shock: .
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:10 pm

That's how I found out mine were out of adjustment! I was done, and stepped on the brakes, and nothing happened! :shock: I had to step on the e-brake to get it to stop on the roller. :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldschooldodge » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

nooblet wrote:Btw, this is the Central Texas Spring Dyno in Buda, TX that I'm talking about. I don't remember seeing too many people on this board from this area, but I was wondering if anyone was going to go?

Chris

I was at the event last year in Buda. It was a good time, but if you want to run that day you should sign up ASAP. Last year, I think only the trucks that were pre-registered got to run at a decent time. I heard that they dynoed trucks very late into the night. There weren't very many first gens at the event last year, and I can't make it this year. I waited until the summer, and went to A.R.T. in Buda to dyno my truck. It was much more convenient.
1992 Dodge D250 Regular Cab 2wd Getrag 5-speed: 190's, HX35 12cm, BHAF, Full 4" Exhaust, Low Pressure Piston LP, 6/13/07 Dynojet 303 hp/784 tq.

1996 Impala SS
oldschooldodge
fuel pin?

Postby nooblet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:50 pm

oldschooldodge wrote:
nooblet wrote:Btw, this is the Central Texas Spring Dyno in Buda, TX that I'm talking about. I don't remember seeing too many people on this board from this area, but I was wondering if anyone was going to go?

Chris

I was at the event last year in Buda. It was a good time, but if you want to run that day you should sign up ASAP. Last year, I think only the trucks that were pre-registered got to run at a decent time. I heard that they dynoed trucks very late into the night. There weren't very many first gens at the event last year, and I can't make it this year. I waited until the summer, and went to A.R.T. in Buda to dyno my truck. It was much more convenient.

Sorry to hear you can't make it! I was really hoping to see some more first gen's there. Diesel Power (or one of those mags) is supposed to be there, so maybe they will say something like, "well he's the only first gen, so take a picture of him" or something to that effect ;)

I'm going to have POD's by then, and I plan on cranking up the full power screw and low boost screw to make some pretty smoke for the crowd! :shock:

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CAJUN 93 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:05 am

i'm pretty sure tomtom will be there. i'm tryin but the guy at work wont swap saturdays with me.

daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Well today was a bunch of crap :mad:

I got there around lunch time because I had to drive a little ways and I washed my truck before I left so it would be nice and shiny for the dyno.

I finally find the guy to sign up with and he tells me today is filled up, and I work tomorrow.

So I didn't get to dyno :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here are some pictures though...

How many turbos is too many?

SUPER clean Cummins swap. P-pumped/47rh/s300. VERY nice.

"What we are dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law"

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Cool race truck...

6.0 thought he could do donuts without blowing a head gasket :roll:

There was also an intercooled first gen there (maybe tomtom?) who dyno'd 414hp/900(something)tq. It looked horrible, but had it where it counts! For some stupid reason I didn't take a picture of it. The 1st gen and that guy with the Chevy/Cummins swap where together, both from Louisiana. Cool couple of guys!

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:19 pm

well i guess it wasnt a complete waste, 6.0 blowin up would make my day, lol, why in the first picture was the motor cut in half, if you look bettew the bottom and the back turbo you can see inside the cylinder walls
Joel
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge