I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this question...

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this question...

Postby nooblet » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Should I pony up and join TDR? I've avoided it to the point where a lot of links I click on go there and dead end because I'm not a member. I don't care about plug-n-play crap or p-pumped tricks, just first gen stuff. Is there enough first gen info over there to warrant the $35? I know its not a lot of money, and if its worth it I don't mind paying it... but at the same time I'm not all about throwing away money.

Also I don't care about the mag at all, I would just be in it for the online tech.

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Knowledge Should be FREE

Postby Ace » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 am

Some of these web forums are more in it for the money than others. People with the scratch to buy new trucks is where the money's at. The big sites like TDR cater more to them. There's nothing on TDR that hasn't been covered on DTR or here. I got tired of getting into argumentrs with know-it-alls all the time and stopped posting at DTR. You can still read everything on TDR as it happens if you just watch the new threads. They're pretty much finished in terms of uncovering any new information before they expire for non-members anyway.

Save your cash and stay with a site that cares more about the trucks than the money.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby CAJUN 93 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 am

i was a member over there for about 4 years and finally let it go. i've got a stack of the magazines and have more info posted here in a month then all the mags combined. a lot of the same guys are on all the sites and most questions get asked on all of them. save the money, just my opinion.

they do have a really cool calender i'm gonna miss though.

daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 am

I thought I heard someone mention that TDR was going to start an online ONLY subscription. Was that true?
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby bgilbert » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm

swank wrote:I thought I heard someone mention that TDR was going to start an online ONLY subscription. Was that true?

The boss over there mentioned it when I started a thread about calling it quits etc. I was a member there for about 5 years. Ace nailed it about them catering to the newer trucks. You can get all of the TDR right here or any of the other free diesel truck websites IMO. I used to keep the subscription just for the magazine. But then it became full of ads and crap.

The late Pastor Bob used to go through and pull posts out of threads from the website and use material directly from the members and those threads. Then all of a sudden Joe D :roll: starting answering all of the questions in the magazine. You'd see the original question, then his answer with nobody elses input. Where he wouldn't post on the website, only the magazine :roll: :roll: :roll: . No thanks, see ya TDR.

Price of fuel, property tax, sales tax hike, Bosch parts, Cummins parts, parts store parts on the RISE, I'll spend the $35 elsewhere.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 pm

They are hashing around the idea of a lower price web only subscription. Just have to wait and see how it comes out. I agree on the JD thing, several people have bitched about it already. I like reading the mag, there are some interesting things in there. Like the article on engine oils. They did a comparison test of several major brands and guess what, certain Walmart oils are better quality than like (for example) Mobil, and are less money!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 pm

PToombs wrote:They are hashing around the idea of a lower price web only subscription. Just have to wait and see how it comes out. I agree on the JD thing, several people have bitched about it already. I like reading the mag, there are some interesting things in there. Like the article on engine oils. They did a comparison test of several major brands and guess what, certain Walmart oils are better quality than like (for example) Mobil, and are less money!

Seeing your truck in there is pretty cool too though right? ;)
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:19 am

So am I correct in saying my $35 is spent better towards a turbo than a TDR subscription?
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:06 pm

GO OVRIT wrote:Seeing your truck in there is pretty cool too though right? ;)

Yeah, I liked it! :2cool: :jumpsmile:
I got a job I did in there a couple years ago too. "Wiring an alternator for a tach." Then Swank copied it to DTR, CF and who knows where else. :D It's ok by me, I did it to help people. ;-)

Did you see the truck? Or hear about it?

Nooblet, I like having it. You have to make your own choice on that.
When somebody says they're gonna leave, buncha people come on and try to dissuade them from leaving. One guy was having money trouble, so one guy paid for him to stay, and another bought him a Geno's Garage set of filters for his truck to help him out.
That's brotherhood right there. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:18 am

I did ask first. I was just so impressed with that whole situation, I felt everybody should know.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby GO OVRIT » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:23 pm

I saw it in the mag.

I think its worth the 35 bucks a year. (67 cents a week ;) ) There's some good info if you look back through old posts. A lot of it is covered in this site and several others, but you get some stuff thats not. I like getting my education from more than just a couple sources.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby big specht » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 pm

I was thinking the same thing about not resubscribing all I really wanted was the online info, there was alot more info online than in the mag about all the other stuff they sent with the mag went into the trash
I WANT YOUR ATC'S
big specht
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I kept my subscription to the TDR. I dont think $3 a month is too much- I spend more than that on sodas and coffee. There are a few guys who really know their stuff (esp about Getrags and Dana70s) who arent on the other sites. Plus, the membership fee weeds out the BS of the free sites (though this site seems to be an exception for the most part).

I dont post on the DTR, anymore, either.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby MMiller » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Hmm, lets see. $35 buys not even 7 gallons of diesel fuel right now. $35 won't take my wife and I out to dinner on Saturday night, just for the resturant tab. I don't buy beer, but how much beer does $35 buy? I know guys that spend probably $35 on beer and cigarettes for a day or two. :roll: When I go truck pulling $35 usually won't get my 2 hooks. My BIL will blow a couple hundred at the bar on Saturday night.

I still really believe that the $35 for the TDR subscription is the best $35 a guy can spend on his CTD. This place is great, most of the riffraff has not found this place yet. I was on the DTR for a while, don't even go and read there anymore. I don't post much on the TDR, but look there everyday. I don't understand why people on the DTR dog the TDR so much, but oh well, that's there decision. I just can't understand or tolerate people that run at the mouth(or keyboard) and run people or a group of people down. I feel the TDR is pretty well free of those types. I know there's still some there, but there's alot less then other places I've been. There seems to be a high level of comrodery there, and overall helping and can do attitude over there, that I've not seen many other places on the internet. But alas, I could always read through Bill Gilberts remarks, and know he was just poking fun. I could always read through Pastor Bob's posts and get some incite, and help. The old Petey came along, and I could see his humor too.

I also want to say, I'm not one of the guys that says "If it doesn't happen on the TDR it isn't real". I'm not that niave or shallow. ITs too bad we couldn't get guys like KTA on there several years ago. We'd all be light years ahead on the power curve if a few guys could have played together. But alas, that's the way the world works. Do what you will, but I just paid for another year at the TDR, and when its up, I'll do it again. When you see those guys for the first time, and put names with faces, its like a group of long lost brothers united. I've got to get to SOP this fall!

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 pm

TDR was one of the sponsors of the dyno I went to a week or two ago. I got to talk to some really cool people there. Seeing them sponsor an event like that made me want to join a lot more. I'm going to go ahead and sign up for a year and see how it goes.

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Lounge