Building a trailer out of a pickup truck/bed

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby PToombs » Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 pm

Good one GO! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 am

I was 12.............when we started in business, dad put a cement mixer on the back of one...................I unhooked it with the mixer full of water.
It's just one of those things you will never do again!
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:02 am

LMAO, I say use the frame. Just save some of the xtra frame incase it ever bends and you need to reinforce. ;)
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby MMiller » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Did you get my picture Bill?

Sorry I did not get back with you on the pickup. When I saw it was an extended cab, I lost intrest and got super busy. Not only were we trying to finish up farming, I'm trying to get a basement dug, for our new house. Unfortunatly we were shy of finishing up planting by 100 acres of soybeans, then it started raining. It has been three weeks now of rain every day, or every other day. We've dodged 2 tornados in 2 days in a row, and many many severe thunderstorms. The beans are still not planted, the basement is not started, and the hay needs mowed if it ever gets dry.....

Did you chop up the cab and clip? Or was it removed nicely? Today I was thinking about putting it on my 90, removing the bed and putting on a short flatbed. It would make a nice offroad truck maybe........

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bgilbert » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Michael I figured you were very busy. I also talked to Philip and he said he had talked to you and told me pretty much everything you just wrote. I'm sorry I really hated cutting this NICE truck up. Not very many still alive in such good shape of this era. The cab floor was in pretty bad shape though as most are of this vintage. Everything has been scrapped minus the bed and rear frame section.

I got your picture. Is that your new cell number? Matt and I have so many projects going on and now we just got the 100 year flood in this area so I don't know when the trailer is gonna get built. It's definately on the back burner right now.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 pm

How do you know it's the 100 year flood? Did you see the last one? :scratch:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby MMiller » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 am

Yes, that is my new cell. You called me on it the other day. :roll: That picture I sent is of a pickup bed trailer my brother built for the neighbor last year. If you want I can get more pictures of it for you. It was based off a 70's ford truck, extended cab long box and the frame was notched twice and pulled in to get the rails to match up with the 2 5/16" coupler. The hitch is long enough that he mounted a 8" wide box across the frame in front of the bed for a battery and electric fence posts. There is also a small flip top pickup tool box mounted across the hitch, with plenty of room for turns, and a nice jack. It would take a significant load, improperly positioned to make the hitch go up in the air. It has several bundles of new T bar fence posts and a few rolls of barbed wire in it, and a 200 gallon fuel tank. It is permanently set up for fence repairs on the cattle farm. It pulls very nice even bouncing through the mud and over ant hills when we've been fixing water gaps, and washed out fences this year.

In 1993 we had horrible flooding, and they have just announced that the flooding will likely be worse then in 1993. And it just started raining here today.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Michael, good luck with the rain, and hold your breath! ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby sdstriper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Bill, the last one we built I cut the frame longer than most would so I could bolt an old cross-box toolbox to the frame in front of the bed and have the spare there where it's easy to get at. Jack is a must, they are heavy as hell. It trails like a dream and is easy to back up too, and it'll haul more than you should haul.
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Lounge