Camless valve operation

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Camless valve operation

Postby Begle1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:55 pm

What's the best way to do it on a 4-stroke piston engine?

Best I can think of is using a solenoid in the combustion chamber to bleed off a little bit of high pressure air, then using another solenoid for each valve.

Or would it be easier to use high pressure oil pumps?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Camless valve operation

Postby GO OVRIT » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Begle1 wrote:What's the best way to do it on a 4-stroke piston engine?

With a camshaft. :?
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:50 pm

Camshafts suck. You know that they're not going to exist in 20 years, but what's going to replace them?

HPOP's, I imagine... But F1 cars used a pneumatic system of some kind, so I hear.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Dream on...

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:37 am

Yep, in 20 years price will no longer be any object and everyone will able to afford million-dollar cars. Just imagine all the wires and electronic boxes on the Cummins engines by then! As if there aren't enough now already. :roll:
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 am

What would any of today's cars be worth if they were being made in 1988? Today we have better materials, better tolerances, way more electronics, et cetera. A $20,000 Chevy Cobalt would probably cost $100,000 in 2008.

A ton of cars today use cam-powered valvetrains with variable-valve-timing or variable-cam-timing contraptions that are very complicated; VTEC, VVL, MiVEC, VANOS, VVTL, NVCS, on and on.

A high pressure oil system would remove the camshafts, the lifters, the pushrods, the rockers, the finger followers, the timing belt and all the crap in the variable valvetrain contraptions.

In all of that stuff's place, it would have a high pressure oil pump, which I don't think would need to be any bigger or fancier than what's found on HEUI Diesel systems, and a big solenoid for each valve. And some kind of seal that would let the high pressure oil open the valve a 40 times a second.

The system would likely be more expensive due to the tolerance required in the HPOP system, but the ability to let an engine make peak torque at every speed would mean that engine would need less cylinders and less displacement, and that would help recoup losses. And I don't see it becoming close to as complicated as some of the exotic valve trains around today.

I find it hard to believe that nobody's made a oil-pressure-operated valvetrain yet. I wouldn't think that the task demanded of the HPOP would be any more difficult to meet than the task demanded of a modern injection pump.

Hell, use a common-rail HPOP to open valves. There we go.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Huh... Tucker Torpedo prototypes had functioning oil-pressure-actuated valvetrains in 1947... I wonder how his seals worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camless
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I think as part of an internal combustion engine valvetrain system they would be excessively expensive, complex, unreliable and thus quite impractical.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby mprmn08 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:03 pm

I honestly think if you had good solenoids and wired to a tunable computer and were able to go in there and set parameters and now how to read that it wouldnt be that bad. i mean you could really make it the ultimate variable valve timing for whatever you were doing, (i.e. towing, racing, mpg's) i think it wouldnt be bad but thats just me.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Personally I'll sacrifice optimum performance and efficiency for reliability any day.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:25 pm

I don't see why it'd be any less reliable than any Diesel direct injection system. Instead of the fluid being pressurized through a hole and bypassing back to the tank, it's pressurizing against a valve spring/ cylinder pressure and bypassing back to the pan.

No valve adjustments or timing belts; no cam wear.

In return for the complexity of two extra injection pumps, you make peak torque at every RPM.

I don't understand why it's not already out there, at least in high-dollar exotics.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby xpetecx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Ive been reading this thread and finding in very intresting. I have one question though, If the valves were oil driven how would the engine start? The motor would have to be a no interference motor, other wise the pistons would hit the not moving yet valves. I think the time part would be the hardest, unless im missing something. With no mechainical connection how would you time the valve train with the crank on start up?
xpetecx
fuel pin?

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:59 pm

Without oil pressure, the valves would be closed. The pressure would work against the valve springs to open up the valves.

Starting without oil pressure, especially in the cold, would be a bear. Just like it is on Powerstroke's with HEUI systems.

Timing would be entirely electronic. If gasoline engines can time spark entirely through electronic means, no reason why an engine couldn't time valves.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Well, they make engines with no camshaft, they are called two strokes..................

The new cummins is unreliable enough, just imagine if there was wires opening the valves!

God.........

Technology has not been kind to the automotive industry in the past ten years.

MY cummins has like 350,000 miles on it, how much you wanna bet the cam will still be good in another 350,000?

Not to mention oil ain't gonna flow fast enough for high RPM.

Practical reliability peaked in the early 70's guys.......minus a few here and there........94 chevy trucks, 94-99 Ddges, the 12V cummins.......the 4.7L ford.............

But hey, who is for owning a vehicle we cant work on? :roll:
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby redneckroot » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 pm

I like mechanical things, easy to fix and I don't need 10 different computer set ups to read different vehicles. Example: I have a 1939 Cletrac DD (diesel) crawler (bulldozer without the blade) it was an old oil field tractor that ran 24 hours a day 7 days a week it has a winch on it that can hold several thousand feet of line. In 1975 my grandfather passed away and it was parked in a barn. The barn fell in about 8 years ago. My uncle told me I could have the crawler if I could get it. So my brother and I went down it took me a few hours to dig through the tin and wood from the barn. It was set up to run two 6V batteries, so instead I threw 2 12V's on it just to see if it would even crank over. Thew some diesel in the tank my brother proceeded to beat on the stucken starter. The starter freed up and it started cranking, quick shot of either and it was running, didn't even bleed the lines from the pump, and it drove over and through the rest of the barn. If you think I'm full of crap stop over and I'll show you the rusted pile in my barn. So if it can still run and run well actually after sitting for 30 years I'll take mechanical operated things over anything else. On top of that my old Jeeps that I always end up pulling out of peoples weeds always fire up. I've even towed them around to free the stuck motors up and had them running. Old reliable motors is what I'm a fan of. But maybe I'm just a moron that doesn't know how to work on the newer stuff.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:10 am

Your not a moron, simple is always most reliable.
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Lounge