Placed 3rd at my first competetion

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Placed 3rd at my first competetion

Postby dpuckett » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:20 pm

I entered a farrier/ blacksmith competition this past week, and placed 3rd in my division in one class. I've been building shoes for about 3 weeks now, and am quite happy with my results. I even got some of my entry back. I figured out forge welding the night before the meet (have to do some in one class), and did ok with the bar shoes.
Hopefully this is a good indication of things to come.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:15 pm

:salut: Great job Daniel!!! I would definitely say that it is an indication of things to come. Keep up the good work.
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Cool! Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. 8)
Let us know when you want to do Jeremy's animal, I wanna come out and watch! :shock: :lol:

Get your LP on yet?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Get a rope to make a sugar string, and I'll do a demo next year.

Hard to get the lift pump on the truck right now. I went home the next weekend, and in light of higher diesel prices, and lower MPGs of the dually, I took the Dakota. She was driving the diesel til the starter crapped out- I told her just tap it with a hammer, but she's not accustomed to that kind of vehicular abuse. So she's been driving the 1/2ton. She said she'll see about getting it licensed this week......

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Last week, we had an AFA precertification clinic here at the school, and 4 from my class (myself included) took it. Took a written test on Friday, along with handing in a shoe display, which showcases some various modifications we can make to regular horseshoes for various uses. I passed the wirtten with a 90%; passed the shoe display with flying colors. They chose one shoe for me to reproduce to their pattern in a 30minute time frame. I got it spot on, except one heel was about 1/8" too short, and they couldnt pass it.

I shod a pair of front feet Saturday morning, and missed the time limit by 12minutes. Guy grading my work said it would have passed by a goodly margin if I had been a little faster. All in all, not bad for a student of 15 weeks, especially when one considers there were guys testing alongside me who make 6 figures a year, and got stopped because their trim was sub-standard. I have to redo my on-site demo and shoe another horse at a different certification, and I will be an AFA certified farrier. The director of the school was impressed, even. Things are looking up for me......

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Certified Fairy? :shock:

Sorry Dan, I couldn't resist! ;) :lol: Congrats on doing so well! Hope you get 'er nailed next time! :D
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:13 am

Yeah, Pete, we've heard all the Fairy jokes. Old news, nothing new there :roll: . Ironically, there are quite a few next door to home......

FInished up my 16th week today. Took a monster written test (102 questions, 15pages), and turned in my shoe display. I got the 2nd highest scores on the shoe board and test.

Now I just need a forge.....

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Lounge