dodge=1/2, ford contour=0

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby CAJUN 93 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:51 am

open market value won't make much difference unless you have it insured for that value beforehand. the adjuster will look at your vehicle, assess the damage and repair total (more than likely on a laptop while you wait), withdraw a value from the same computer, deduct for high mileage, previous dents or damage, etc. he will then tell you what your truck is worth and what it takes to fix it. depending on the company, a percentage of damage to value will determine if it totals or not (looking at the pics, i think it will). he'll cut you a check for the total amount and tell you where to drove it too. or he'll cut you a check , reduced by the salvage value (in the same computer) and you keep it.

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i work around bodyshops all day long. you will not get market value from the adjuster. his laptop is bible to him. you can argue and get a hundred here or there, but not much else. it's not the job of the other persons insurance to over insure your vehicle. its you and your insurance company's to make sure you are covered for replacement value. i know that sounds harsh but dealing with insurance usually is. i learned this when my brothers 69 charger was rear ended 3 years ago.

my advise to you is if your not happy with what they'll give you, don't accept the check. it probably won't be worth getting laywers involved, and the insurance company knows this. get as much as you can without sueing and move on.

sorry to see that :cry:
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Show similar trucks and what they are going for. Show him what its going to take to replace it. This worked for a coworker of mine when his boat got rearended on his way to the lake.

When the adjuster looked at my truck, she didn't care that I had three estimates. She made her own estimates. I guess it depends on the insurance company you are dealing with.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:13 pm

well, i took it to the dodge dealership today to get an estimate. the kid that quickly looked it over put the stuff in the computer and came up with a cost of 2105 to repair. we'll see what happens on saturday.

dave
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Falcon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:21 am

Swank sry I didn't post earler. My wifes cars have been hit multiple times. i have delt with insurance co.'s alot. First take it to a body shop of your choice. get a real estiment on the dammage the other insurance company has to honer the estiment or come close to it, they are not body and fender men, you can argue with them, they can't see hidden dammage like a real body shop can. If they bock get your insurance company involved. They have to represent you that's what you pay them for and they have better lawyers. The body shop I use has your legal rights as an insured person posted on the wall. You don't need 3 estiments you only need 1 at a body shop of your choice not theirs. when ever I presented the estiment to the insurance company cut me the check right there for the body shop to do the work. make sure the rentel car is included in the estiment.. sorry to see the rig get bashed but better to see his car taking the brunt of it.

Greg
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby MMiller » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:58 am

My brother just went through this. They wanted to give him $3000 for his 94 cummins truck with a bunch of add on stuff. He battled with them. Make sure and be there when the adjuster looks at it. Don't tell the adjuster where the truck is, until he makes an appointment with you. That way you can show him everything. Take adds of nice first gen extended cab trucks and show him it takes $7-8000 to buy a nice one. Show him all the work you've done under the hood and reciepts for parts. Tell him about the injector, the time in the turbo work, etc..

My brother ended up with a $9000 check and his truck!!! :shock:

Get ready to play hard ball. Don't except anything that you think is fishy, and don't sign anything until you are satisfied.

They wanted to low ball my brother and he told them " Then go buy me another 4x4 cummins truck, in the condition of my with your $3000" The guy called back a few days later to talk some more because he could not.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby swank » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:07 am

wow, he got a good deal. they gave me a check for 2100. i didn't sign anything yet. i'm going to a body shop today to have a chat with them, see what they have to say.
truck
swank
Administrator

Previous

Return to Lounge