dodge=1/2, ford contour=0

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

dodge=1/2, ford contour=0

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 pm

on my way to work this morning, minding my own business

and then there is this flash of light and a little car is underneath my truck.

truck
swank
Administrator

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:44 pm

ouchie. hows your truck?
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 pm

and now for the bad news

this bumper used to be STRAIGHT

sooooo..... this is the first time i've been involved in an accident. what do i need to know? it wasn't my fault. the kid, the witness, me, and the cop all said it was the kid's fault. i'm open to all ideas. it's got some structural damage:the frame looks a tiny bit tweaked, the spring mount/shackle thing is way tweaked, it shakes and shimmies now(way more than before), but doesn't look that bad. the kid's insurance set up an appointment for saturday and said that they will probably just cut me a check right then and there. their adjuster will look at it and determine the damage, then i take that check to any body shop. if they(the body shop) think it will cost more, they(the body shop) will just deal with the insurance and get paid directly by them(the insurance). that was sounding kind of fishy to me??? any ideas, or experiences? thanks in advance.

dave
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:52 pm

notice the mis-alignment of the hood now too. i think the whole front end shifted over???
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby whereswaldo250 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 pm

I'm sorry I hope that you can get the cab fixed. Looks like the truck did pretty were considering. How fast were either of you going?
1992 Dodge W250 standard cab STRAIGHT PIPED! black 3/4 ton Cummins Turbo Diesel Intercooled, 4x4,148000k, getrag 5 speed, np205 transfercase with PTO, D60 in the front, D70 in the rear posi (4:10 gears), Mods soon to come
whereswaldo250
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:15 pm

his insurance is going to find anyway they can to place at least part of teh blame on you. thats how I was 10% at fault for some beeatch in a blazer pulling out in front of me. the adjuster will look at your truck, determine the damage, compare it to the overall value and condition of the truck, and adjust it for any percentage of your fault. face it, these trucks are getting old and aren't worth that much these days, so don't be surprised if tehy try to total it. dig up every receipt or anything of that nature you can find to show how much you have invested and that this isn't just transporation to you. tell them you have to rent a car while your truck is in the shop. his insurance will have to pay for it. in my case, i got paid for it and didn't even rent a car. I just told them I needed another vehicle to get to work and they did the rest. more than likely you're gonna want to pull out your hair dealing with these idiots, but be persistent. i was going to get $600 but by being an ass I got $800. doesn't seem like a whole bunch, but I gained another $200 by arguing and not backing down. it's definitley not fun, but its better then losing the whole truck. good luck, and let us know how it goes.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:15 pm

i was going the speed limit, 35, and he was just entering my path through his red light. pretty sure he almost came to a stop, and then just plowed right into me.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

and what happens if they total it?
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby 92 D/UNIT » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:31 pm

then you get a check. if they total it i think that you can buy the salvaged vehicle. then either fix it( i think the title will say salvaged) or get another 1st gen and use it for parts.
when my wifes rig was stolen and then wrecked in a joy ride adventure, we were able to take it to any shop we wanted to get it fixed. but watch some shops will put cheap aftermarket parts on and also cut corners(not replacing what they said they were going to and pocketing the extra) let me know i have a good friend in caldwell that can help you out.
Brian 92 D 250 250K, A518, pump mods, BHAF, 4X15s, 4" turbo back dual exh, 3200 spring, HTB2 62/12.

SOLD 92 w250 ex cab, 5 spd, 3.54, 320,000, WH1E 14, Fuel pin, pods,shortened 4200 gs, Bhaf, 4" turbo back
388/886
92 D/UNIT
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KTA » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:52 pm

That sucks man. I recently had a deer run its head through my drivers side window on my Mercedes. It trashed the fender and the door. The estimates to fix it was $2400-2600. They said book value on it was $3000, so by Ky law they had to total it cuz the repairs were over 1/2 the value. They gave me totaled value and let me keep the car. Just depends on the INS as to how they want to handle it, but it looks totaled to me. Fixing that cab corner will be alot of high $$$ body work and it wont take long to get 1/2 the trucks value like that. :roll:
Fleet of Junk: 1989 D350 627rwhp 1300 tq B-1/Hx60 twins, KTA pump/injectors, ported head, BIG fuel supply. 13.75@ 109.5mph 1/4: 1992 W350 Cab-chasis, 1993 W350 ext cab cust.370 inj Hx40/16cm 290rwhp hydroboost brakes,1984 D350 crew-cab another project.
KTA
diesel guru/mod

Postby swank » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm

so what are my options going to be if they want to total it? just say ok? how much do they sell it back to me for? a certain percentage or something? thanks for the info guys, it's really helping me think of things to pay attention to. that sucks about the benz, what model? i'd love to get one of those things.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Philip » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Go get your own estiate. "DO NOT" go by that adjuster only. His job is to get you to sign the bottom line for as cheap as he can. He does not work for you. He works for the insurance company.

Hit three body shops and get your own estimates. Keep the highest one and throw the two low ones away. No matter what he offers. Do not take his first offer. Unless you can replace the truck with it.

Then get ready to fight them. I went threw this last year when our girls 99 Intrepid got rear ended. It took me over a month to get it totaled. Over $3500 in damages on a $5k car and they wanted to fix it. It didn't happen. For some reason they wouldn't put into writing that the car would structually safe after repairs. To give you an idea of the damage. The spare in a Intrepid is laying flat under a cover in the trunk. After it was hit the spare tire was at a 75 degree angle still bolted to the trunk floor. :shock:
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby 90firstgen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:48 am

Well chances are, they'll total it. :cry: Just tell them you want to buy it back and they'll take the difference out of the check they cut you. Definately do the 3 other estimates thing and show them what you've found. Some insurance companies aren't too bad to deal with. But sadly, too many of them are. Go to your meeting with your game face on and be ready to argue about absolutely everything they say.
Dan
90firstgen
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 am

Most insurance companys only need one estimate now adays. If you show them three they will take the lowest and throw away the other two. That is why I said to throw the two lowest ones away. Don't even show them those two. That is one of the things I ran into last year.

They might also have you go to one of their "authorized shops". Be carefull. They tried to pull a fast one on me at their shop. I hauled the car in to it. I had told the adjuster they did not have my permission to repair it. They told their shop to repair it. I wouldn't let them unload the car.

They are also going to sell the information about the accident to Carfax. So don't forget to bring that up. It does make a difference on resale of a car or truck. Most dealerships do not take a trade in with a bad carfax report.

If you are going to have a body shop repair it. You pick the shop. Their "authorized shop" is normaly not one of the better shops in the area.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 am

Your truck is a W350 dually. These are hard to find. Do a search on ebay and print every auction you can find on the W350's.

If the adjuster trys to total the truck. He is going to low ball you if possible. Be ready to show what type $$$$ that type of truck brings on the open market. In the last year I have seen 3ea W350's on a car lot. All three brought 12k each. They were on the lot less than a week total for all three.
Philip
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge