My car dolly experience.....

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

My car dolly experience.....

Postby Diesel Dan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

well a friend asked if i could move his Lincon town car with a old wor-out car dolly i had and i said yea no problem (i have never used a car dolly a day in my life and never plan on it in the future)

so i got our VERY Tired 97 chevy 6 cyl and went to his house.. this truck dosent have a hitch its a bumper pull
so the dolly was scraping to begin with in the dark with no lights

i got there and dident realize how big or heavy a town car was!!!
that thing pushed this tired truck like nothing(shifting down was not an option..HEHEH oops
:shock:

so after we cut extra blocks and wooden ramps cuz the car sat so low with a long bumper we headed out.(the chainsaw only scratched the car twice)

got it on the road and we got to our first hill.... well i hit the bottom in 3rd screaming and at the top we had to put it in 4 wheel low to creep the top of the hill... so after we did this trick about 4 times :roll: on different hills we made it to our destination and we were parked on a slight up hill.

none of us realizing what we were doing (never using one of these evil contraptions before) immediately we all ran to the front tires and loosened the ratchet straps.....

so we are parked on a incline
with the car in neutral to tow it
in the dark laughing about the situation so far...

so we relese the rachets and all at once that car went FLYING off the dolly backwards down the hill in the dark
now my buddy is very particular about his vehicles and is twitching so begin with. :D so he is watching is car go flying backwards at mock ten when it suddenly rolls to a stop... it sat there for a min while we lauched and then we looked down and the bumper fell off..(while we were staring at it)..... i guess it caught the dolly when it shot out of the gate like a race horse.
so then all the laughing silenced and i went and got a tractor and towed the car the last 500yds.

so tonight was a learning experience
there are a few things about a car dolly i should have known..

never put a heavy vehicle on it and expect it to run like a sports car...duhh
this one is Very Important
ALWAYS put the car in park before you release the straps!!!!

Also you should never need a chainsaw to load a car on a dolly for any reason you will most likely scratch the car in many places......

and the most important of all
car dollies are a pain in the butt and should never be sold to people with the brain capacity of a slug....(me)

:D

other then that all i have to say is
you have to be young and stupid before you are old and wise...

figured i would share my young and stupid story while im still laughing about it.. i wish i would have taken some video or pics...

maybe i shouldn't sign my name hah
Diesel Dan
1992 cummins, 350, single cab, 8 foor bed (kinda), manual, 4x4
Right now Very ugly but its a cummins!
Diesel Dan
fuel screw!!!!

Re: My car dolly experience.....

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 am

Diesel Dan wrote:Also you should never need a chainsaw to load a car on a dolly for any reason you will most likely scratch the car in many places......

wow. i mean, just wow. i dunno what to say to this one......

i just want you to know that i would have paid good money to see the show you had going on here.

wow.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:04 am

We lost a '65 GMC Suburban off the side of the Cajon pass, although it took the dolly with it.

Fortunately, the Suburban didn't hit any other vehicles on the way across three lanes of traffic and through the guardrail, and there was no paper trail leading the Suburban to us.

And so, there is still probably a wrecked '65 GMC Suburban at the bottom of the Cajon pass if anybody's interested. The only thing good in it was the newly rebuilt 305 V6, and luckily that was in the back of the pickup at the time, so we hawked that and just walked away from the GMC.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

there was no paper trail leading the Suburban to us.

roflmao.

The only thing good in it was the newly rebuilt 305 V6,

I can tell you never drove or used one of those engines before. There was nothing good about them. They were under powered and overweight.

Never tow something that is heavyer than the tow rig if the trailer/dolly does not have brakes on it.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 pm

I have a pretty interesting story involving a car dolly. We were selling my brothers '87 Mercedes 190E (Euro Spec, POS) and the buyer was coming up from Tennesee. We assumed he would have a truck, or trailer or something, but he pulls into our driveway in a little 4 door Volvo. We thought he was joking at first, but we loaded it on the car dolly, and told him he better get a head start if he was going to make it up our driveway. He followed our advice, and barley made it, and I'm sure the Mercedes scraping the whole way up didn't help... :roll:

I'm sure his trip back to Tennesee was fun. :lol:
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Ahhh Dan, that was funny! :lol:
Next time, ask for our advice before you do something stupid. Then you can blame it on us! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel Dan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 pm

im glad to see im not the only one with amazing car dolly story's and me and my buddies are going to laugh about this one for many moons...

i hope my next dolly trip will be less eventfull now that we have graduated from car dolly school 101 :D

maybe ill try a tandem axle dump truck on a dolly with a dodge neon towing it up the interstate
yea that sounds eventful

anyone want to help
HAHA

well i just want everyone to know that i usually dont have problems completing simple tasks but this one was just plain old flat out stupidity of not only me but 2 others

that makes 1,2 ,3 yea 3 brains working together (so we thought)
and the dolly outsmarted 3 of us

i am ashamed.... but my pride is not hurt (badly)

Diesel Dan 8)
Glad you all enjoyed my latest "here's your sign" moment
Diesel Dan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Was there alcohol involved? Sounds like there shoulda been! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Ace » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:30 pm

I been thinking about building a car dolly. haven't welded anything in awhile... :grin:
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel Dan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Ace wrote:I been thinking about building a car dolly. haven't welded anything in awhile... :grin:

i dont feel it wold be worth your time or money to build one cuz they are so cheep to buy right now..
on eBay thay are like 6 to 900 dollars for a bran new one

and no alcohol was not involved but you are right it should have been :D

Diesel Dan
Diesel Dan
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Lounge