What to what out for?

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

What to what out for?

Postby itsalmosteasy » Fri May 21, 2010 7:07 am

I don't know if this is the right section or not but anyways...

I am in the market for a 1st gen cummins. I test drove one yesterday and the problems were obvious (injuection pump leaking, brake all but gone, scary steering, etc.). My question is what are the things to watch out for while looking for one?

Thanks! And I will make an introduction when I have more time ;)
itsalmosteasy
fuel pin?

Re: What to what out for?

Postby oldestof11 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:59 am

Typical 1st Gen! :lol:

Run from it if it has more than surface rust (ie, bubbling rust, if it has paint bubbling scratch it to see if its gone through) above the windshield along the drip rail.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm

itsalmosteasy wrote:
I am in the market for a 1st gen cummins. I test drove one yesterday and the problems were obvious (injuection pump leaking, brake all but gone, scary steering, etc.). My question is what are the things to watch out for while looking for one?

It kinda depends on how handy you are. The less handy you are, the less that should be wrong with the truck. If you are handy, the leaky injection pump seal kit can be had for under $20, the brakes, well I guess that depends on whats wrong with them.

What is the truck? 4wd? Manual? Dually? etc.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby itsalmosteasy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:33 pm

The truck i looked at is a 4x4, 1 ton, non-duelly, automatic, single cab, 210k miles. It has a 4" lift and part of the steering problem is probably because there is a chain with a bolt in each end in place of one of the u-bolts on the front diff. He said it used to push 28 lbs of boost but was down to 22 lbs due to the injection pump going out. Starting took a good 20 seconds of cranking before firing (it was cold). It has a small amount of blow-by coming out of the oil fill hole.

Good to know injection pumps can be rebuilt. My dad's '92 just started leaking. I wasn't too scared of the brakes, we replaced everything on my dad's on all four corners and wasn't too costly.

Are auto's or manny's better in these? I have heard different things from different people...
itsalmosteasy
fuel pin?

Postby lectro_static » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

itsalmosteasy wrote:The truck i looked at is a 4x4, 1 ton, non-duelly, automatic, single cab, 210k miles. It has a 4" lift and part of the steering problem is probably because there is a chain with a bolt in each end in place of one of the u-bolts on the front diff. He said it used to push 28 lbs of boost but was down to 22 lbs due to the injection pump going out. Starting took a good 20 seconds of cranking before firing (it was cold). It has a small amount of blow-by coming out of the oil fill hole.

Good to know injection pumps can be rebuilt. My dad's '92 just started leaking. I wasn't too scared of the brakes, we replaced everything on my dad's on all four corners and wasn't too costly.

Are auto's or manny's better in these? I have heard different things from different people...

Manual by far I am a little bias as mine is a 5spd but the getrag IS stronger then the either the 3spd or od auto. The cold start would be worth looking into more and the blow by isnt good. Mine has 330k on it and starts as fast as I can let the key go and it doesnt have blow by. If the truck is cheap it would be worth getting if not sounds like I would keep looking.
soon to be 1985 Chevy crew cab with 93 cummins running gear
weeping head gasket
4" straight pipe
M&H M3 fuel pin
M&H Dynamic Timing Advance
366 spring
Full power screw bottomed out no runaway
Auto Meter EGT and Boost
lectro_static
fuel screw!!!!

Postby itsalmosteasy » Sat May 22, 2010 8:45 am

What else should i watch for? I want to look at a couple more this weekend.
itsalmosteasy
fuel pin?

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Sat May 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I have an auto and I'd kill for a 5spd thats by far the best for towing
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 am

Hard starting and leaky pump are probably related.
ALL of mine have had some mist coming out of the vent tube- some more than others. Had one that used a quart of oil every 3-4K mi. Most havent used any, other than what leaked out the front crank seal or vacuum pump.

Steering, brakes, front suspension on 2wds. Make sure the u-joints are good, and the slip yoke doesnt have any rotational slack (I have my 4th one with slack in the driveway). Basically, all the checks you would do for any used vehicle. Keep in mind, these trucks are mostly mechanical, and if the PCM goes out, it's a good bargaining tool, but everything can be bypassed.

Dont let 2-300K mi scare you. It's been almost 10 years since I've owned one with less than 200K; 2 of the last 3 have topped 300K and still going strong.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby itsalmosteasy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Mlieage hasn't been scaring me. Most for sale around here have between 210k and 250k on them. I have a hookup on a '93 with 239k that has been taking pretty good care of for $2500 but it is a 2wd. Its kinda a last resort truck. My dad keeps telling me to hold out for a 2nd gen... IDK
itsalmosteasy
fuel pin?

Return to Lounge