power steering bleeding on 2000 Ford Taurus/Sable

Shame on you guys

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: power steering bleeding on 2000 Ford Taurus/Sable

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:23 am

888 wrote: If you ever own a Sable .

Not gonna happen unless its free and in good running condition and then its out the door with cash in my pocket lol.....I'm not a ford person.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby 888 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 pm

I hear you but.....we had a 2000 Taurus wagon when the kids were little and my wife would not drive a minivan and it was one of the most painless vehicles I ever owned and that's what I needed. Freaking TDI's spent more time with the hood up than down and I needed one car that was reliable.

The Sable sat outside all winter during the polar vortex or whatever it was when it was -25 without windchill and it always cheerfully started when my TDI's in the garages were frozen lumps. It stayed on our country roads when the area ran out of salt and they were glare ice helpfully plowed totally flat. It's been a great car, an appliance for driving, which is what I need right now. You can see the list of projects in my sig, I'd like to eventually wrench on one of them some day.

Also, when your kid is 6'6" and growing there aren't a lot of options out there for a first car and I'm pretty bummed that he hit a tree with it. I watched him do it and he just got his legs trapped between the underside of the steering wheel and the pedals, hit the wrong pedal and couldn't get his leg out of between the wheel and the accelerator. I'm just shocked the airbags didn't go off, but he hit between the frame horn and the sensor by the hood latch.
93 Dodge D-350 Cummins Xcab DRW - completely stock
89 Dodge D-250 Cummins SRW 5 speed father and son project
84 Dodge D-100 5 speed slant 6
92 Dodge D-350 Cummins DRW 5 speed
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Glad he wasn't hurt! If you find a reliable car hang on to it because they are hard to find anymore it seems like.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby 888 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:19 am

okay, spent a little quality time under the car this morning and here is what we have.

Cooler is off and is clear through both channels, I can blow through it easily and I can verify that ATF is not tasty.

The reservoir level did not drop when I removed the cooler so there is a check valve somewhere in the line between the reservoir and the cooler.

I did a schematic of the circuit on the garage whiteboard, hopefully it is legible:

I found this on the outbound line from the belt driven pump, not sure what it is.

Anyway, if I have this figured out right, if I run a line between points A and B I will bypass the radiator tank cooler. I need to round up some fittings and hose so if you guys with PS circuit experience have any comments, they would be welcome.

TIA

Joe
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 888 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:54 pm

okay, made the test looping A and B together and got 3 quarts of fluid into the circuit with the car running, turning it off between quarts. It's still low but I looked under the car and saw some ATF dripping slowly off of the frame and I was out of ATF so I stopped the test.

I believe the ATF was coming from the end of the metal line out of the bottom of the radiator which is the open end at B where I connected the test loop. I had drained all that off but I definitely did not get 3 quarts worth of leakage out of there, so it might be the residual that was left in the radiator manifold and gravity/car shaking coaxed it out?

Anyway, the good news is it ran a lot longer than it has recently without blowing a line off and I could hear air in the circuit so I know the ATF was circulating.

The bad news is that I'm not 100% sure where that bit of ATF came from and I almost think I need to get a plug of some sort or a T fitting to seal it up to be sure the circuit is closed.

What do you guys think? It's kinda promising but I'm looking at maybe 4 hours to R&R the front end to get to the radiator and change it out.

TIA

Joe
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Non diesel