Offroading

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Offroading

Postby m880cummins » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Got home today after girlfriend didn't want to hang out because she was bogged with homework. Buddy calls me up and asks if I want to do some off-roading. I said sure, where we going and at first he said some place that everybody goes. Got to his house, hooked up with his friend who informed us and hit mcdonalds and then used the GPS to get there. Was right along the Susquehanna river and pretty nice mud hole. Romped a little, buddy got his truck stuck on a mound with all four tires off the ground. Spent a half hour getting him off then messed around a little more. Found another path, one goes down it, gets stuck bad and all the sudden a car comes rip roaring down the dirt path and sure enough it is a COP! We just were like, oh crap, in for it now....

Cop gets out asks what the hell were doing and why hes down here getting his boots muddy, we honestly explains and basically it was a federal offense of trespassing on township land and he was explaining it happened here multiple times. He saw the stuck truck and got our info and said if we could get the truck out he would not call the tow truck and impound us all. We took a half hour with come alongs to get it out and both my buddy and I threw our backs out. Cop tells us the deal, along with his higher ranking offical who later showed up and wanted to double the fine etc. and basically we have to appear in court and pay a $500 trespassing fine along with a $100 environmental damages fine (that's each of us). More talk, blah blah blah and we shook hands and got the heck out of there. He said it will not go on a criminal record but will on our driving record. Great....

My buddy told his parents, they didn't get too mad more or less you learned your lesson and are punished with the fine so lets move on. He will probably lose his license as he got it TODAY!!!!!

The kid at school who told us of this place is going to have hell to pay....

I'll probably be grounded for March, see no friends and this weekend will be my last free one for a while. Even worse is now the girlfriend is on lockdown something she shouldn't be punished for by her Mom. Shouldn't I mean it is not even right from a parenting perspective, not mine.

This WILL be the LAST time I wheel off of my own property or a friends property. Lesson learned the hard way. Kinda makes me want to sell the truck and buy a ricer just to feel better.

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Offroading

Postby Gots_a_sol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Yea me and a buddy got tagged for 'muddin' in an area we were told was ok by some other guys when we were younger :evil: We both ended up being charged with destruction of property and 6 months 'probation' which pretty much meant don't do it again and a slap on the wrist.

We have since bought tow rigs and drag our junk 2.5 hours up the highway to wheel at Rausch Creek where it is nice and legal to do so.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 am

I've never been into "offroading", mainly because heavy diesel trucks don't do so well and that's all I have driven since I got my license 2 or so years ago. But I do understand how it could be fun with the right truck in the right place.

Some of the finer young folks in my county (very likely classmates) thought it would be a good idea to do doughnuts in my boss's bean field. This was right across from his house, of all places. So naturally that's the next place I knifed in hog manure and the problem suddenly stopped. I wonder why :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby m880cummins » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Wonder why that guy didn't come out with his rifle and start firing at you. I have respect for people's land and really just thought this was some dilapidated state dirt road not private property.

My Cummins does really well in mud though even with AT tires. It does have posi but I had no loss of grip even in 8" of mud. The back end is a little light but it goes when you want it to.

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

I hate mud...

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby galakinokis » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Its pretty hard on everything. Bearings just love it
galakinokis
fuel screw!!!!

Postby redneckroot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:57 pm

When I was younger, we could go practically any place in our jeeps and four wheelers and no one cared. We respected the land and didn't cut any fences or rut anything up. Then before I graduated (fifteen years ago) there were a bunch of younger guys that bought 1 acre "hunting camps" brought out their wheelers and pissed the world off. They cut fences, trees, made race tracks in corn fields, hunted wherever they wanted. My days of having fun ended pretty quick. To this day I still have to chase them down out on my land and my father's land. To make matters worse the small farms have all been bought up by a few large ones that lease the land for hunting. So now if you want to go track a deer across your property line it turns into a huge ordeal.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby 93oneton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 am

I am an avid 4wd guy. Not with my cummins but the same non the less. Always make sure you know if its ok to be on the trails your driving on. Word of mouth isnt the most reliable source. Thats why alot of our area is closed down. People not caring, tearing up big holes and generally being where they are not supposed to be. I mainly wheel in the snow, we dont even see the roads most of the time. But we still gett hassled everyonce and a while.
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 am

When I owned my 91 the first time, I used to wheel the ever living snot out of it....buried it one time that it took us twelve hours to get it out as it sank in a creek crossing. I was stuck in another mud hole not too bad, but with four trucks hooked up and moving to pull mine out, they ran out of room to go right when I was in the middle of the shallow creek...ended up sinking bad enough that the doors wouldn't open and the rear bumper was not visible. And that was at a state OHV park, but several years later it was closed to trucks, and only ATV's, UTV's and dirt bikes are allowed on there. I bought quads since then, but ended up selling them...the only "toy" is my Harley. I rarely get any time to ride it besides the commute to work, so even my Suzuki Samurai is parked. I have accepted the fact that the Sammy won't get built and there is no time on the weekends to get free if I had a ATV again. I do miss riding quads quite a bit...

Such is life.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Things you've learned