Being TOO comfortable

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Being TOO comfortable

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Around the age of 12 I had a flywheel on an old Lauson/Tecumseh 2 stroker explode while I was tuning it at 4 grand.
Turns out that the pullers to remove those flywheels don't cause the cracks that the hammer did when I removed flywheel prior to this event. ;)
The part that hit me caught my 1st knuckle on my right index finger, danced off my elbow and whized by my right ear.
The blood from my knuckle went everywhere, looked pretty cool to me at that age, blood was spurting from my knuckle. :shock:

Got several bad soldering iron burns, Wellers heat up FAST and those ancient huge wand-style ones cool VERY slow. :cry:

Got drunk once (1 of the very rare times) and tried to stop a fan blade on a home made cooling fan I had, that was another "knuckle-squirter", it wasn't as cool to see that many years later. :roll:

Had a battery blow up in my face once, bad connection on a damned Aspen, got out to fix it, forgot the ignition was on and just touched the cable end to re-tighten it and it went off. :shock:
Couldn't hear, couldn't see (liquid in my eyes), fortunately a farmer was on his way by when it happened, took me to the house and filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and I dunked my head in it, opened and closed my eyes several times and felt better.
My hearing returned 30 minutes later.
Strangely, I didn't suffer any burns and only had minor abrasions from plastic, my glasses kept me from losing my sight that day.

Yeah, I've done some stupid shti in my day, fortunately nothing that killed or maimed me seriously. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, that post explained a lot!

:jumpsmile:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby m880cummins » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry to hear the pain man....

Lets see some gore pics! I have plenty of gore pics and I'm only 17. Welding, grinding, burns, gashes, w.e. I've done it....

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 am

gore stories :x im only just 22 and ive got a ton, ive noticed lately that ive developed a spidey sence for things that are going to hurt me, like when your trying to bust off a rusted bolt on a plow blade and your dad says "hold that wrench on there while I kick it"...... nope dad, I'm good :lol:

I had a good picture of my thumb a while back, I was rushing one night working on my truck prying a master cylinder against a brake rotor trying to get the pot to push back into the master and all a sudden WAMMMMM my thumb was in between the rotor and the caliper, took under a minute for my nail to say "FU** THIS" and lift off like the hood of a car. hurt like a female dog

this is the only picture I have of it now, its juuusssttt about grown back
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:31 am

ahale2772 wrote: took under a minute for my nail to say "FU** THIS" and lift off like the hood of a car. hurt like a female dog

:lol: the wording is funny not the pain :oops:

Since you've posted that,I'll see your thumb and raise you a chest tube scar
Crappy pic I know but you get the point. I got that from being to comfortable riding on dry rotten tires. Broken left arm, torn right ear,Four broken ribs, lacerated liver,and a side of punctured lung to go with it. Two weeks spent in ICU in a drug induced comma because if I woke up I went nuts from the drugs :( that was christmas of 99 for me. :yuck:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:47 am

I'll glady fold my thumb card to your induced coma, you can keep that one :shock:
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I keep trying to induce a coma but my wife won't eat the pills............ :mrgreen:

With age comes wisdom. ;) I'm not saying I'm too smart to get hurt, but I usually think before I yank, shove, grab, or lift and hurt myself. Notice I said usually? :( Sometimes I still get hurt, but slowing down sure helps a lot! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I was going back to my production line I was running at work. We were running angel food cake mix and packaging it into large 5lbs bags for a food service company. Now, something like 50% of the weight in angel food cake is powered sugar. Add a anticaking agent, fine particulate dust, and polished concrete floors... The door way I was walking through has a "fast open" door. Basically just a vinyl door that opens real fast. The framing for the guide is about 1/8" thick.

So I slipped going into the room. I grabbed the pylon they added to protect the doors from forklift drivers to keep from landing on my flat on my back or @ss. This pylon has a condom on it (slip on plastic protector). As I grabbed the pylon, with no stability on my feet, having forward momentum, the condom acted like a pivot point. I threw up my hand to stop myself from getting my skull cracked and shoved my pointer on my left hand in between the guide and framing.

I now have a moon shaped scar on that finger. The boss was gone so Satan's mistress was in charge and was walking through right after it happened. She looked at it and all the blood pouring out and called the sanitation/1st responder guy to clean up the mess and help me bandage it.

I looked at it and said no way, I want to go to the hospital. "It's not deep. All they will do is super glue it and send you back." she said.

"Hell no! I looks like that because I have put massive amount of pressure on it. I want to go to the hospital."

They took me and the doc cleaned up the cut. He pulled back the skin and saw I filleted it all the way down to the bone at a shallow angle. Got 7 stitches.

Fricken female dog... I had enough sense demand my rights and it paid off. I don't have much, if any, feeling on the top of my finer from the middle knuckle to my nail. I severed some nerve in there. Nothing they can do about that though.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 am

I was prepping a derby car this summer and my buddy sliced his finger in the same way, even has a nice moon shaped scar. The guy running the derby said we could not weld the doors shut, so we had to "unweld them"

that consisted of hammers and chissles and chains and truck hitches :lol:

but at one point he hit his finger straight into a piece of super sharp metal. It was one of those times where you and your super manly "aw-its-just-a-scratch" buddy goes "wohhh......yeah you should get stiches" just before it started bleeding i could see the knuckle and bone :shock:

he is still in PT because of nerve damage too it
84 CCLB W350 project
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 am

Well, since we're on the subject...

When i was 13, i cut my knee open with a chain saw. That expirence was good for 13 stitches. It was an unlucky expirence :lol: It was a VERY effective lesson in being too comfortable in a certain situation. When i actually cut open my knee, i didn't feel anything beacuse it want straight through the nerves. It kind of tickled as strange as it sounds. I looked at my knee, loaded my shorts, and hopped over to the truck where my dad was. 13 stitches later, i have a very distinctive scar and a good story :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 pm

PToombs wrote:I usually think before I yank

:mrgreen:
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 am

Tacoclaw wrote:
PToombs wrote:I usually think before I yank

:mrgreen:

:? :yuck: :(
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:42 pm

You guys need to get laid or something! :roll:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 12valve » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 pm

I was at the race track one night to fix a shoe on a stakes horse,was about 930 at night,I didn't feel like driving the truck so I grabbed my shoeing box and stall jack and threw them In the trunk of the passat. Anyways horse had a spread and slipped hind shoe from kicking cinder block walls. I pull the shoe off,level it up and reshape it. Mind you I opted not to put my apron on. I drove my first 2 nails and wrung them off,all Is well. Drive 2 more all is well. Drive the inside heel nail and this bastard hears a car go past and comes unglued. Sucks its leg up under its self to kick. Well not having an apron on the 1/16 in of that nail still out the hoof wall tore thru my inner theigh. Managed to finish the job and clinch up before going to the hospital. 13 stiches from not taking 20 seconds to put an apron on.
12valve
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:40 pm

I am why that flap drags behind your push-mower. . . ..

David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Things you've learned