Another noob

Stop in and say hi

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Another noob

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Hello, well I just bought a project 91 cumminns 5spd d350 and I heard this is the place to be for answers and knowledge.

Hopefully you guys are willing to put up with a few questions! This is a new beast for me and its a PROJECT for sure. Just trying to make it a good tow rig but also a back up daily driver. Its been parked in a field for about a year and the clutch hydraulics are completely missing and over all its a little rough around the edges.

First question is where is the best place to order parts for the clutch? I am in Tacoma Washington if that helps.

Is there a search function? I dont really want to annoy people from asking a question that has already been discussed.

Thanks in Advance!

Eric
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Another noob

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Welcome! Ask your questions,there are very few here that don't know that the search function sucks :lol:

On the hydro's, somebody here found some at the dealer for reasonable.
Last edited by ellis93 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm

If you have a blue bar across the top of your screen with a pic of an injector spraying into a piston bowl, then in the upper right corner of that bar you'll see a "Google Custom Search". If you want to search the entire forum, use that bar and only click on the links it provide that have 1stgen in the address.

If you want a little more specific, you can click on the applicable subforum and use the "Search this forum" bar right beside the "make new post" button.

Welcome to the forum. 8)
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for the welcomes!

So far I know I need the clutch hydrolics and then I will be able to see how it drives.

Fluids will be changed so what do I need in everything? and how much?

Engine? Rottela T or Delo?
Transmision? How many quarts?
Rear end?

Also what are the recommended basic gauges I should install? and where to get them?

I am also thinking about installing an AC compressor for air use just because there are too many times when air is a great thing to have, and I can get a decent horn then too. Is there a york model or something similar that is used for OBA commonly on these motors?
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Rotella in the motor. 5w30 in the trans.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Welcome!

Take my advice and spend the money at the dealer for a completely assembled and bled system. I spent 3-4 hours trying to bleed the system on my old truck.

1st off, is the truck intercooled? It will have the pipe going from the turbo to a radiator looking thing.

Try and get a Sandenson (sp?) A/C setup from an intercooled Cummins if you aren't intercooled. Slightly different setup than the non-IC but that pump is a good OBA pump with some mods.

I got Lucas 10w-40 CI-4 rated oil on Ebay from Summit Racing for $60 shipped to my door. Got 4 gallons. You need 3 or 12 qts if you buy the bottles.

Transmission recommendations are 10w-30 ENGINE oil and 4 qts. So that extra gallon of you get with your Summit purchase, use it.

Rear end... IDK.

Basic gauges: Boost, pyro, fuel pressure, oil pressure, engine temp, oil temp, trans temp, rear end temp, volt meter... Something like that in that order. :mrgreen:
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 pm

oldestof11 wrote:Take my advice and spend the money at the dealer for a completely assembled and bled system. I spent 3-4 hours trying to bleed the system on my old truck.

I don't know about this one. Unless the dealer charges the same price for this stuff as everyone else then there's no way I'd pay for it. It took me about 2 hours to bleed mine as well, but that was an hour and forty five minutes doing it the wrong way, and fifteen minutes doing it the right way. :oops:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Truck is not inter cooled as of now. Down the road it might be...

I will have to keep an eye out for an ac pump then.

Dodge wants 340 bucks for the system and I am worried I will be missing a rod or something.

I think your list of guages might be a little over board. I am looking for just the basics, I dont need to know everything all the time.
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah, boost and pyro are the daily driver ones, with fuel pressure stuck in there if you've got room.

Work trucks could probably use a trans temp gauge, but considering it's a stick I doubt there's much call for it. Maybe an accurate water temp gauge instead, depending on how much weight it'll be moving.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 pm

To buy the parts separate is close to $200... Not counting the fluid and time spent trying to take the stupid roll pin out of the slave and master cylinders.

Those gauges I listed, the first 3 are most important.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Looking at towing about 8000lbs up and over a 6000ft pass. I am looking for a 10k car trailer at this time so up to about 10k.

Is it possible to over boost it when it is close to stock? I dont need to have a gauge to tell me the turbo is working, unless there is a good reason to have that.

Pyro makes sense because I dont want to burn the turbo up and the fuel screw or what ever it is might be played with at some point.

I will make room for what ever gauges are needed and I really dont know how much I trust the stock instruments cluster gauges.

I was thinking aftermarket Oil Pressure, Water temp and Pyro to start unless there are other recommendations or concerns? and then its just where to get the gauges and what brand to get and how to install them.
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Every thing comes with the dealer one. I believe that couger on here just bought one online from a dealer,not sure on the price thou.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 pm

oldestof11 wrote:Basic gauges: Boost, pyro, fuel pressure, oil pressure, engine temp, oil temp, trans temp, rear end temp, volt meter... Something like that in that order. :mrgreen:

oldestof11 wrote:Those gauges I listed, the first 3 are most important.

I am new to this and I am trying to figure out how fuel pressure is more important then oil pressure or engine temp? And how easy are they to install?

Also on anther note what is the best quick and inexpensive shop manual? I know I cant afford the full on one so Chilton or Hanes or something different? Just for basic information and specs on things?
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Eric_M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 pm

ellis93 wrote:Every thing comes with the dealer one. I believe that couger on here just bought one online from a dealer,not sure on the price thou.

Sounds like that is the best way to go. Maybe I can find a discount dealer online somewhere?

First step is getting it driving then it will be asses the rest of the truck and get it up to par so I am comfy driving it and pretty sure it will hopefully stop once it is going!
Eric_M
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12443

Still don't know who he got it from thou
ellis93
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Welcome