Stop in and say hi

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby vtuck2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 am

Howdy guys,

I found this board while googling for help with an electrical problem for my '91 Dodge Cummins. It was reassuring to find this site and to learn that I will be surrounded by other first generation enthusiasts.

My trip down this road began more than a decade ago, when I bought an '89 D350 flatbed truck on ebay from Colorado. I flew up there, bought it, and drove it home in the dead of winter-time. I was reassured by how sure-footed it was in the snow. I did not figure out until later that the truck had a 4.10 positive traction rear axle.

I still have that truck although it was totaled out by a drunk driver while my wife and our two sons were in it. I settled with the insurance company and kept the truck. Today it serves as our "yard dog" but due to rust it is nearly time to salvage parts from it and scrap the frame. The engine in it however, is to this day the best engine I've got.

For brevity, I will omit a couple of trucks (a '92 and an '89) that I had for a time but no longer do and focus on the ones I still own.

My next acquisition was an early '91 D350 that came from the factory as a cab and chassis. It sold to an oilfield service company that fitted the chassis with a huge, heavy service flatbed. When the service company sold it they removed the winch so today, it may weigh slightly less than the 8500# shown on the title.

Finally, from an elderly local farmer, I acquired a '90 3/4 ton flatbed D250. I've spent quite a bit of time and effort on this truck having rebuilt the injection pump, the front end, the drive train, brakes, rubber hoses, new radiator, etc. It doesn't look any better than it ever did but it runs reliably - or at least did, until it developed a loss of prime problem I could not identify or fix. Finally, I installed a squeeze bulb just upstream from the lift pump. The check valve in the squeeze bulb solved the problem. However, not being diesel fuel rated, the bulb is only a temporary fix.

My favorite truck was the first one. However, the drunk driver and the Rocky Mountain slush in which it lived its previous life have made it unlikely that truck will live again. To the extent its parts are compatible with my other trucks though, it will get reincarnated. The engine CPLs on all three trucks are identical.

At present we are chasing down an electrical problem with the '91 service truck. It is my favorite RUNNING truck but has some serious issues too. The immediate issue is an electrical problem with the windshield wipers. Some recent electrical problems have me suspicious that the PCM may be bad. It does appear to have a PCM but as of now we have not found it.

If we strike out I will no doubt be leaning on you all for your advice on this and other future issues.

Regards and thanks.

Vernon
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Re: New member

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:02 am

Welcome! I found this site the same way, chasing an electrical problem. There seems to be a reoccuring theme with old Dodge pick-ups and electricity :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: New member

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Welcome!

91 has no PCM to my knowledge, maybe an ABS module. The wipers I have heard to stop when the bushing goes out in the arms iirc.

The 90 D250 problem maybe the lift pump on the side of the engine.

Welcome again and I hope you stay and become a good part of the community. You seem to love these trucks!
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Return to Welcome