Hello. First Time 1st Gen.

Stop in and say hi

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Hello. First Time 1st Gen.

Postby Mollard » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey. Interested in the old 1st Gen. Cummins, this looks like the place with the know how. Looking to buy in the near future. They seem few any far between here in Alberta. Looking to build a strong work truck, these old Dodges seem to suit my taste.

One question; What makes the 1st Gen. so desirable? The mechanical inline 6 is a reliable, relatively simple motor. I understand that. I just don't understand paying $10 000 for a truck with 300 000km.

:(
Mollard
smoke screw?

Re: Hello.

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Welcome!

Historically, they are what brought the diesel pick-up to a status that was desirable in the realms of reliability, fuel efficiency, and tow ratings. It just so happened at a time when hotshotting was in a up-swing.

Also like the other US manufacturers at that time, rust proofing wasn't so great and rust free complete trucks are hard to come by.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Re: Hello.

Postby dazedandconfused » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Welcome to the site.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Re: Hello. First Time 1st Gen.

Postby Mollard » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I guess I am more concerned with wear parts. Most trucks with 300k, regardless of body condition, require heavy maintenance; i.e. bearings, brakes, axles, and are not worth close to the price these old Dodges are bringing.
Mollard
smoke screw?

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:16 pm

To someone, they are worth it. And people pay it.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:04 pm

oldestof11 wrote:To someone, they are worth it. And people pay it.

Blanket statement if I ever saw one. :roll:

The real reason they bring the money is the same reason an old 318 Dart is worth 8-10k, someone either has more money than brains, or they're trying to recapture the glory of an era gone by.
You'll note that USUALLY the latter person buys the nicest, lowest mile original they can.

Then you have the problem of the newer stuff just breaking down more than they should and people wanting what appears to be a "simple, old mechanical truck", until they get into the fact that everything is worn out, or just substandard in quality and comfort, when compared to the new stuff.

I won't sugar coat it for you, prepare for a potential nightmare in this thing, you'll want to pull your hair out, you may get a dud with rust and cracks all over, a wiring nightmare, a bad fuel system, trans might go south and not return, the real axle might sound like your last girlfriend (growly/howly), interior all tore up from 5 previous owners who didn't care.

But the damn engine will still run. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Welcome