Need help with a getrag 5 speed swap

Stop in and say hi

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Need help with a getrag 5 speed swap

Postby 1993W250Ram » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:26 am

Hi guys,

I have a 1993 W250 that I am getting ready to do a Getrag 5 speed swap into from Auto. The problem is that the 5 speed trans is from a 2WD truck and mine is 4X4. I need to know what all I really need to do as I have read several different things from several different people on this. Can I use a 29 to 23 spline coupler? Do I need to cut off the threads on the output shaft to allow the transfer case to go onto the trans? do I need to modify my drive lines? Do I need a different cross member? Do I need extra support on the fire wall for the clutch pedal? Will the reverse work? Do I just ground the neutral lock? There are so many questions I need answered and I was hoping somebody on here who has actually done it might give me a call so I can create a list of items that need to be done and the sequence that they need to be done. If someone can help me please contact me at 919-945-4021. Thanks guys and God Bless!
1993 Gen 1 Single Cab 4X4 CUMMINS, wheels, Fuel pin, custom paint, Immaculate Rollin Coal!
1993W250Ram
fuel pin?

Re: Need help with a getrag 5 speed swap

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I did a NV4500 swap a while back so I can be of some help. I don't know too much on Getrags, like if it needs and output/main shaft swap, like on NV's, but I do have the 4wd rear output housing if you need it. Save your money and get the correct parts to convert your NP205 to the correct 29 spline input, its maybe $200 more than that goofy coupler. The driveshafts might need to be shortened/lengthened, just going to have to get most of the swap done and measure. Crossmember will probably work, just going to need the correct mount, it may have to be moved forward/back depending on where the transmission mount ends up in relation to the crossmember. Also needed is the clutch master cylinder support bracket. The holes are there, just need the bracket. Reverse and Neutral safety is on one switch, its a three terminal round connector, the center wire/terminal will need to be grounded to get the truck to start, and un-grounded to get the cruise control to work. The other two wires can be cut from the plug, put spade connectors on them and hook them to the reverse light switch on the transmission.

If you do some good digging, you'll find the answers to some of the other stuff ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Re: Need help with a getrag 5 speed swap

Postby 1993W250Ram » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Well thank you for the response. I am really nervous about taking this on. I would definitely be interested in the tail housing. What would you want for it?
1993 Gen 1 Single Cab 4X4 CUMMINS, wheels, Fuel pin, custom paint, Immaculate Rollin Coal!
1993W250Ram
fuel pin?

Return to Welcome