Manuals and literature section

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847

Manuals and literature section

Postby stillsmokin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I had the idea today for a "manuals/product literature section" where we could upload or download PDF's of various literature for first gens. Since that is pretty much what the site is about. The trucks are getting older now, some have been to hell and back, and I think there needs to be a resource for preservation and restoration. I figure it would be a way for us all to learn more about our trucks and attract new membership. I don't know if service manuals were quite what I had in mind but maybe owners manuals for 89-93, dodge sales brochures, mopar accessory catalogs from the day, cummins advertisements for the B series engines, nice vintage aftermarket accessory brochures, etc. This might help us all help each other and save some rare parts and accessories not all of us knew were out there. Who knows what we are passing up in the bone yards because not all of us know what it is!

Example, pulltilbroke had to tell me the simulators on the W350 I just bought were a dodge dealer sold accessory :oops: no wonder they look so damn nice! Otherwise, I would have had no idea. I've owned a first gen for quite a few years now, worked on lots more of them, and I was not in the loop.
92 W250LE REG CAB, SLED PULLER, S400
93 W350LE EXT CAB, dually, 5 speed
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Manuals and literature section

Postby ahale2772 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 pm

I like the idea, an "options" post is a must, im sure Mark and others can give us all insight as to what came with what.
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby stillsmokin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I also thought that the "manuals and literature" section be hidden somehow to unregistered users of the site and maybe to limit downloads based on post count (except for us guys that have been around the site for quite some time). Sort of a Bonus section on the index. That way somebody doesn't just register, get their manuals, and leave the site without interacting.
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 pm

stillsmokin wrote:I also thought that the "manuals and literature" section be hidden somehow to unregistered users of the site and maybe to limit downloads based on post count (except for us guys that have been around the site for quite some time). Sort of a Bonus section on the index. That way somebody doesn't just register, get their manuals, and leave the site without interacting.

A similar scheme might include use of the Classifieds. ;)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 am

BC847 wrote:
stillsmokin wrote:I also thought that the "manuals and literature" section be hidden somehow to unregistered users of the site and maybe to limit downloads based on post count (except for us guys that have been around the site for quite some time). Sort of a Bonus section on the index. That way somebody doesn't just register, get their manuals, and leave the site without interacting.

A similar scheme might include use of the Classifieds. ;)

Both, I belive would be a great idea! :mrgreen:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 am

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's hard finding specific literature on the web.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby stillsmokin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 am

Think about how fast the section would fill up with information, each one of us almost certainly has a piece of the puzzle.
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:18 pm

I have my Bosch VE Technical Instruction manual and some other stuff I'd upload for it.
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ahale2772 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I can clarify some of the Misteries of the VE timing system, now that Ive actually taken one apart and forced my simpelton mind to understand it :lol:

Ive signed up to some sites and downloaded some documents that I can post up, OG bosch stuff, I can even scan in some stuff from cummins manuals.

The post count thing is good, I agree
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Not trying to be a wet blanket (maybe a "damp" one :lol: ), but what about copyrights on specific materials?
I have a '93 Service manual on CD, which would help in transferring some of the info directly between members free of charge, but Chrysler likes to try to bully their enthusiasts around, as I've been painfully aware of, having been in the old Mopar scene.

It's gotten very ugly before, in the Mopar reproduction parts venue.

BTW (a little trivia), did anyone know that Dodge made a STEEL FLOORED Stepside bed, in both long AND short versions, from '81 through 1985?

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby BC847 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:18 pm

On the note of uploading and hosting said files, I'm pretty sure 1stGen isn't set-up to accommodate it (ignoring the legality of it as mentioned). Swank would know best.

I think it'd have to be set-up similar to that we see here, and elsewhere . .. a Sticky full of links.

I've got a thread started in the staff section bringing this thread to his attention. In doing some searching here, it appears the "Members Endeavors" forum board was initially intended to serve such.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 pm

OK so NON-registered viewers can no longer see the Classifieds. Gonna implement the feature of Newly-Registered members can only see the Classifieds after five or ten posts come the 1st of the month.

The deal with the Manuals and Literature thing. At the end of the day, we can't mess with anything that isn't already free to the public. If one is suppose to pay for it, we can't provide it for free. Swank's the legal owner of this fine site and ultimately bears the heat for what happens here. He and I are talking about it, and what we might be able to do. 8)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby stillsmokin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 pm

BC847 wrote:OK so NON-registered viewers can no longer see the Classifieds. Gonna implement the feature of Newly-Registered members can only see the Classifieds after five or ten posts come the 1st of the month.

The deal with the Manuals and Literature thing. At the end of the day, we can't mess with anything that isn't already free to the public. If one is suppose to pay for it, we can't provide it for free. Swank's the legal owner of this fine site and ultimately bears the heat for what happens here. He and I are talking about it, and what we might be able to do. 8)

I understand that, I got the idea from another site pulltilbroke and myself are members of, it may have something to do with not charging people to access the information. I believe they do disclaim "we are not associated with company x in any way, and all copyrights are property of their respective owners" if I remember right. The thing of it may be that manufacturers are not really persuing breaches of old information rather than new information disclosure. If the mods want, pulltilbroke can show you what I'm talking about on that site, hes a mod/admin over there.

FWIW, most sites require 25 posts for classifieds access.
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm

We have folks here who've been registered well over a year or so and only have one or two posts, and they still visit regularly.

EDIT: The implementation of this feature will only effect newly register members starting when it's turned on. It's not retroactive.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby pulltilbroke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey Jeff, I'm Not a mod over there anymore.

But the Site were talking about is GTtalk. It is a site for old garden tractors.
90 W250 reg cab, Modified knuder valve, reversed reciprocting dinglearm adjusted, High volume flux capacitor,upgraded whirlygig, A clutch and a hitch
93 W350 ext cab dually, getrag and a few adjustments
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Next

Return to 1st Gen.org suggestions