Will this shield prevent flooding from cowl vent kick panel?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Will this shield prevent flooding from cowl vent kick panel?

Postby Diesel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

So I tracked down my leaks by pulling the vinyl mat out and looking for leaks. When it would rain the little cup indent in the floor under the parking brake would fill up. I am 99% sure it was coming in from around the cowl vent at my drivers foot. Luckily there was no floor rust on my rust free truck and I POR15'd the floor just for safe measure. Anyway, I built this little plastic water diverter and I plan on putting a thick bead of silicone around the part that goes inside the cowl instead of the stock foam seal. Will this do it or should I redesign my diverter?
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Re: Will this shield prevent flooding from cowl vent kick panel?

Postby PToombs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:50 pm

That won't do it. If the water is coming in there, which it may not be, it's running down the outer wall and going around the seal to the inner wall. Go to Home depot or lowes and get a thicker weather strip foam and put it in. I used either 3/8 or 1/2 and had to push really hard to get the screws started. No leaks since.
It may be coming in around the windshield. That's the #1 spot for leaks in the front of these trucks. It comes around the glass thru the gasket or around the body thru the gasket and runs down the side or the firewall. Maybe run a hose on it and look real close, it usually shows.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:08 pm

So maybe I should leave the thing I installed in place and also run a thick rubber seal around it where the stock foam seal was?

I don't think I am leaking through the windshield but I might just run a tiny bit of silicone where the rubber and glass meet and then wipe it clean so there is just a tiny bit in between the two of them. Between the body and rubber is sealed well and I have sealed the top of the rubber with black silicone and sealed the very bottom. I am pretty sure there was a mark where the water was running down the cowl from that vent.
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:15 pm

It's possible it was coming in the vent, since you saw the trail there. I used the foam type seal, just thicker than stock and it sealed up. You can't use anything too hard because it won't compress and you can't get the screws in, FYI. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Try to peek in, under the top far rear of the front fender, at the base of the A-column, where it is spot welded to the top driver's side of the firewall. You may be able to see in there by opening the driver's door and looking above the hinges.

- It's my understanding these trucks tend to crack the metal there. That may be your leak. :?
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Diesel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I am thinking a cowl crack would leak similar to a leaking cowl vent. If it is cracked under there could I just remove the fender to get to the cracks? The Mopar instructions say to take off the hood but I would rather just pull the fender and seal the cracks after drilling the ends of the cracks.
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:11 pm

You could, but the hood is fastened to the fender. :lol: I know you can do it 1 at a time. ;) You should be able to access it like that. I did mine with the cab stripped, I made my own repair strips and welded them on.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 pm

The things I do because I love my truck so much. If I had a 2001 instead of my 1991 I would have probably dumped the thing because the floor gets wet. When I say "wet" I mean less than a cup but still. If the truck was a 2011 I would have even considered filing a lemon law claim; but the fact that I put whatever it takes into my 1991.5 tells me I really do love that truck...I guess I will see if sealing the cowl vent is all it is and if not I'll look to see if the cowl is cracked.
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:21 pm

I hear ya! I spend money and time on my '92, and the wife gets pissed and doesn't understand. The '97 I daily drive I won't buy new tires, I cob it back together and barely ever give it a bath. :mrgreen:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby m880cummins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

You can get to the cowl without removing the hood. Just remove all the fender bolts then have someone support that side of the hood while you remove the three bolts, lift the fender off and close the hood.

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 am

Most silicones have acidic properties when uncured.
This state is what starts metal corrosion on bare surfaces, which is why some of our trucks rust the holy hell out of the roof when a cab visor is installed.

Be careful of what and where you seal with that stuff.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Chassis