Smell of diesel fumes located!

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Smell of diesel fumes located!

Postby monoblock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Does your truck smell (more than it should) of diesel fuel fumes?
I found a concealed leakage point that is easy to test if you know where to look.

I had just removed the bed from the truck so that I could fit a dump mechanism. Poking around I twisted the huge screw ring on top of the fuel tank. This huge plastic ring was not even finger tight ! The rubber seal around the ring was wet with diesel and there were tell-tale diesel fume+muck stains on top of the tank. I managed to tighten it by hand at least 270 degrees.
With the truck bed in place I think you could still reach up there to test/tighten it. Be careful not to twist all the hoses/wires that enter the tank at this point. A simple strap wrench might help.
Another issue I had to correct was the "U" shaped rubber/plastic buffers (that prevent the steel straps around the tank from chaffing the plastic tank) had become dislodged/lost. I replaced them. With the bed in place you would not be able to see this.But it would be easy to feel along the top edge of the steel straps to locate any buffer strips.

While you are under there, feel along the top of the curve of the exhaust where it kicks up over the axle. Right along the top ,mine had a deep crease/kink that would cause a restriction. The muffler shop had done a clumsy job ? You couldn't see this w/o taking the bed off but it is easy to check by feeling along the top of the exhaust with your finger tips.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by monoblock on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monoblock
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Smell of diesel fumes located!

Postby oldestof11 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm

No fuel pump in the tank. ;)

The exhaust thing is a 1st Gen stock exhaust thing.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Jon, if it's loose it can seep around the seal. Not having a pump has nothing to do with it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 pm

I just don't want this guy disappointed to find out that someone replaced the fuel pump in his tank that isn't there.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 am

I know my fuel tank leak there. I'm just too fat to get in their and fix it. Guess I'll have to take the bed off.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby monoblock » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 pm

You may be able to slip a big strap wrench around the sealing ring and tighten it. Just be careful the whole assembly does not rotate and strain wires/hoses. I did this with the bed off so it was easy so your experience may vary!
monoblock
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis