Steering Problem

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Steering Problem

Postby mitchk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Ok. So for a little while now ive had a slight shake around 30 mph or so and it goes away real quick around 35 or so. Also at highway speeds around 60 when i let off the gas right around 1/4 throttle mabey a little less it shake then goes away when im completely off of it and same thing when i get back on it. also shakes pretty bad when the clutch is in shifting from fourth to fifth. i looked at just about everything on the front end and it all seems ok. I looked at my steering shaft and did notice it already has a double u-joint shaft.Image
Also noticed that piece with the spring on it that goes into the larger diameter part that goes thru the firewall has alot of play. was thinking of getting a new steering shaft but that doesnt look like it part of the shaft. how could i fix that play? also noticed that my power steering gear is leaking a bit of fluid out the back around where the shaft comes out. dont know if that could have something to do with the shake and if thats a big problem considering the price of steering gears. just trying to figure out whats going on ith this shake cause its starting to get pretty anoying. thanks for any help.
Daily: 91 d350 727 gear vendors over drive, 3/8 feed line, THD lplp, maxed pump, Denny t 2, timing to head, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, arp studs, 60 horse injectors?(po), THD bahf, s362sxe

Project: 93 w250 5 speed, ground stock pin, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, THD lplp, intercooled compressor non intercooled turbine, diamond eye 4 inch, custom intake, south bend hd single
mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Steering Problem

Postby bmoeller » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Basically ANYTHING with some movement in it, will cause something to shake. Had to replace the drag link between the pitman arm and front axle on my 93, to get rid of the death wobble. Didn't have much play, but it was enough. Added a steering stabilizer and replaced the springs and poly bushings in the upper sides of the king pins.

If the output shaft on the steering box has any play in it, it will eventually leak.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am

Ok. Does make sense that any little thing can cause it to shake. guess I'll just start with that part of the steering shaft just not completely sure what it is and where I can get one? I was also thinking of getting a steering stabilizer cause I got one on my old Chevy and it made a huge difference. What kind did u get and where did u get it from? Was looking for them last night but couldnt seem to find one for the first gens. I'm guessing anyone for a dana 60 should fit right. thanks for the help.
Daily: 91 d350 727 gear vendors over drive, 3/8 feed line, THD lplp, maxed pump, Denny t 2, timing to head, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, arp studs, 60 horse injectors?(po), THD bahf, s362sxe

Project: 93 w250 5 speed, ground stock pin, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, THD lplp, intercooled compressor non intercooled turbine, diamond eye 4 inch, custom intake, south bend hd single
mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bmoeller » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 am

I don't think your problem is as much of a problem with the bad bushing in the steering column. Think it is elsewhere. With the truck shut off, grab the steering shaft between the fender and tire, and turn it as hard as you can in both directions, and see if anything moves. Whether it be either end of the drag link, pitman arm shaft out of the steering box, tie rod ends, mounting bolts for the steering box/adapter plate.........

Bought all my Rancho shocks and stabilizer kit from http://www.4wheelonline.com (Just make sure you ship it to where it can be signed for! They will NOT ship anything without a signature!) Great prices. The only problem I've ever had, was when I couldn't have someone sign for me the last time. Finally got it worked out.

They have a listing for the 1st gens. :) http://4wheelonline.com/Images/PDF/Ranc ... _Guide.pdf
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Stick a baring tool in-between the steering box and frame. Wiggle it around and check for a loose steering box. The frames are known for cracking there, like on the chevy trucks. When you find the loose link in your steering system it will be really noticeable. And when fixed you be happy. My cousin went months driving around for at max speed of 40!!!! I asked when he gave me a ride down the hwy, "why?". When he told me of his dilemma I crawled under and started wiggling stuff on his 95'. It was the drag link, and a simple fix.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am

Ok. I did Wat u guys said and didn't notice anything to loose. The only place there was a little bit of movement was in the drag link. Didn't seem like a lot but I guess that could have something to do with it since bmoeller, u said u had a problem even with a small amount of play. I was also looking at the angle of the ends where it connects to the pitman arm and the steering knuckle. The seem pretty steep. Is that something that is known to be a problem and if so would o drop pitman arm be a good idea instead of the stock one. the other thing I did notice is that the u-joint on my rear driveshaft where it connect to the axle is completely shot. It been making a squeaking sound for a little while now and while lookin at all this I checked that out and it has tons of play. Don't know if that could have something to do with it but that definetly needs to be fixed. Thanks

mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

The slightest play in a steering linkage end is going to be enough to give you problems.

Now when you put your new u-joint in place on the rear axle yoke, look real close at how tight the caps fit in-between the stops. If it has significant side to side play while in place, that means your yoke needs replacing. When I blew my rear drive line it wore out the little side to side stops. When I replaced the drive line I didn't check for any tolerances. With in a mile if hwy driving I notice a vibration again. That's when I found out that the yoke was wore. I had to replace the yoke. I'm not saying you need to as well, it's just something to check.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby bmoeller » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Ya, the drag link movement was minimal, but it was enough to give me a BIG problem. Had a loaded trailer when the death wobble hit. Just came out of nowhere! Surprised the crap out of me! :lol:

bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 am

bmoeller wrote:Ya, the drag link movement was minimal, but it was enough to give me a BIG problem. Had a loaded trailer when the death wobble hit. Just came out of nowhere! Surprised the crap out of me! :lol:

My grandmother has a 06' f350. I used it a few weeks ago to tow a really heavy load up a steep curvy road. On the way back down in a nice gradual curve the truck got a nasty death wobble. Not fun!! Almost lost it into a ditch.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 pm

ye. wen i had my old chevy it was on worn 40 inch super swampers and i got a death wobble so bad it shook my door open. granted it didnt latch to well but still wasnt fun and that was the first time i took my dad for a ride in it since i got it back on the road.

Sutter1stgen: didnt see ur post till just now and i just finished putting in the new u-joint. are the side to side stops your talking about the ones that have two bolts and clamp the u-joint to the yoke. Mine looks like a washer welded to the clamp. i didnt notice much movement but now that im thinking about it im gonna have to go check it again in the morning.

Already noticed a difference though. definetly feels smoother and even the slight shake at 30 was gone. havent gotten to take it on the highway yet to really see if it helped but it definetly feels better. that u-joint was completely shot. looked like the two ends that were connected to the yoke werent getting grease to them and the needle bearings were no where to be found. funny how its usually the small things that fix the problem. thanks

mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 am

I welded washers on my caps and weighed them on a small scale in the shop to balance them (tweaker status, I know!) but my actual yokes have a small rectangular shaped, casting stop, in the deepest part of the u joint cap valley. If that makes sense. They only cover about 1/6th of the outer radius of the cap. If over time you allow a drive line vibration, it will wear the tolerance out. That's why I thought of it.

I'm glad you got your truck in safe working order; the peace of mind is always a lot better.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 am

I'll take a pic of my yoke when I get home. If you by any chance could snap a pic of your u joint straps that would be awesome.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 am

I've seen steering columns with play between the 2 tubes that are held together with a short section of plastic lining.
Sometimes the lining wears, then the tubes get slop and they'll add play.
Haven't ever directly linked it to death wobble, but I suppose anything is possible.

Wider tires are the bane of the front suspension on these trucks, nothing brings troubles to light worse than oversized tires, partly because of their extra weight, partly because they are wider and cause higher friction to the pavement.

Alignment is also a key factor in these death wobble situations, as is the condition of the kingpins.
Believe it or not, even how level the truck sits can contribute.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby mitchk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I was real tired last night wen i got back and completely forgot about those stops. They seemed to be doing thier job cause i packed some extra grease in the caps and had to push them down wen i put them in cause the grease was pushing them out just a bit and they were pretty tight in there. i did get to take it for a good drive today and all the shaking is gone and it drives very smooth. :D

As for the front end though, wen i got the truck it had smaller diameter tires(not sure exactly what size, probably around 30's or something)but they were still pretty wide and recently i put 33's on it cause the others were studded for the winter. i did notice a small difference on the highway but i actually feel like they ride smoother because of the softer compund and taller treads. i still need to change the steering box since its leaking and im gonna do the drag link as well since ill have to take it off anyway. hopefully that will fix any problems in the front end. thanks for the help

mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 pm

You have the same yoke as me with the same fix. You see that small rectangle covered in oil and grease on the differential yoke? That's to keep your caps tight together.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Chassis