A New Noise. Ping, Clack, Rattle Under Accerleration.

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

A New Noise. Ping, Clack, Rattle Under Accerleration.

Postby 142autox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 pm

It may have been doing it for a while, but now that it's finally warming up out it's pretty noticible with the windows down. It kinda reminds me of the expensive noises my lsd makes while turning after a long haul and the fluid is hot, but it seems to do it only in a straight line while accelerating. I'm pretty sure I could do figure 8s in a big enough parking lot without a peep. I think it only does it in the first 10 or so miles of driving then it goes away entirely. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but it's hard to tell at 40mph with your head out the window. Imagine driving around with a rock in your wheel simulator and you'll get an idea of what I'm hearing.

All I've checked thus far is rear diff and transfer case fluid levels and condition. They were a little low but not alarming. Tried brake boosting with no wierd noises. Tried running on jack stands up to 50mph on jack stands, still nothing. Everything rotates freely, difficult to test differential function with lsd though, and all u joints are good.

So what do you guys think? If I fragged a spider gear it seems that I'd be able to feel it on acceleration even through the lsd, that can't possibly hold much torque. Another thing to consider is my drivers leaf hanger is hanging on by a thread, wonder if it's making some incidental contact at times and making noises reminding me that I REALLY need to take care of that.

I know I should probably open up the diff and have a look see, but I'd rather do it once and fix it all in one swoop. Plus with the lsd unit I don't think there's a whole lot to see without complete dissasembly.
93 W350 dually, A518. DDP stage 1 injectors, and typical pump adjustments.
142autox
fuel screw!!!!

Re: A New Noise. Ping, Clack, Rattle Under Accerleration.

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Have you crawled under the truck and checked every component with a hand shake. Bring a friend down there with you,'2'sets of eyes are better at finding a problem sometimes. My exhaust used to rubb on the transfercase bad under hard acceleration. I started tapping things with a rubber mallet one evening until I found the familiar noise.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Re: A New Noise. Ping, Clack, Rattle Under Accerleration.

Postby 142autox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Seems to have fixed itself. I guess I'll chaulk this up as whatever it was rusted completely off and wasn't crucial. Until it gives up the ghost and leaves me stranded...
93 W350 dually, A518. DDP stage 1 injectors, and typical pump adjustments.
142autox
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis