Worn caliper rests

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Worn caliper rests

Postby cmann250 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 pm

I developed a scraping noise on my driver's front side when applying the brakes shortly after swapping on my aluminum rims. It comes and goes. Sure enough when I popped the rim off, the caliper body had aluminum scraped on it and the rim was missing the corresponding aluminum all the way around. I took the caliper off, had a look-see, reassembled it and the noise stopped for a few days.

The noise is back. I saw shims mentioned somewhere, but none of the auto parts stores sites show what I think they'd look like. Anyone used these before?

If not, what prevents one resourceful young lad from setting a bead down with the old buzz box and filing the surface back true?

The noise doesn't bother me (other than it chewing up my rim), but it does disturb the passengers :lol:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: Worn caliper rests

Postby PToombs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

That's how you test the passengers trust in you, see if they freak when you tell them you just finished a brake job and it makes that noise. ;)

I had a notch worn in mine from the pads beating on it for 220k miles. I welded it in and ground/filed it back. It works nice, and the caliper doesn't stick there anymore.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm

PToombs wrote:I had a notch worn in mine from the pads beating on it for 220k miles. I welded it in and ground/filed it back. It works nice, and the caliper doesn't stick there anymore.

Wow. A hill billy (some would say farmer) idea of mine was actually valid :lol:

Thanks for the verification Pete. Everyone, that's useful post #9 (at least) for Pete, so you can get off his back a little. Unless he'd into having men on his back. Can't say I know :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:13 pm

I tore it apart again today and the caliper rests aren't as worn as I figured they'd be. The caliper rests and the caliper are about equally worn, which lets me put some faith in reman parts :roll:

I think it's the caliper retainer (the larger piece of stamped metal, not the anti-rattle clip) because one was cracked. I moved the cracked one to the bottom and it didn't make a grinding sound the 3 times I hit the brakes on the way home. I'll get a new caliper hardware kit and if that's not it, I'll bump this thread back up.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis