2nd gen running gear under a 1st gen ... info needed

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

2nd gen running gear under a 1st gen ... info needed

Postby burnt_servo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:40 am

my '93 trucks needs a lot of work to rebuild the axels , brakes and steering componants

so rather than rebuild the 93 parts i'm thinking of using the almost brand new 2nd gen parts

i've got a wrecked 2002 3/4 ton diesel , and 2001 1 ton diesel frame .

there are 2 ways this can go , first take off and make all the newer parts fit the 93 frame ....

in my mind the most grief i may get is the front diff . going from coils to leafs . does the newer diff have the spot available to instal studs to hold down the leaf springs ?

if the front diff turns into a dead end , i'm thinking build a complete 2nd gen frame front to back , then fit the 93 body to the frame .
anyone do this or have seen it done ?

how far off are the body mounts
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 2nd gen running gear under a 1st gen ... info needed

Postby Philip » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 pm

in my mind the most grief i may get is the front diff . going from coils to leafs . does the newer diff have the spot available to instal studs to hold down the leaf springs ?

No it does not.

I haven't seen a body swap done.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Philip wrote:

No it does not.

I know the pumpkins are on different sides so you would have to swap the transfer case. You would probly have to modify the cross member and drive shafts as well (not 100% sure). If you used your old axle, and are handy with a grinder and welder, you could fabricate your own brackets or call up some fabrication shops to see if they have brackets you could use.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:41 pm

I am just going to state this, not as a negative nacy or anything ;) but you will be out more time, money, and effort if you use the 2nd gen stuff. It'll be way less costly to continue to use the current drivetrain, etc. The rear axles can be swapped on the cheap, and parts for the D60F are pretty inexpensive too. Brakes and steering are in the bag too. Beats trying to fab up something that might not be the safest on the road.

Just saying :thumright:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:46 pm

I agree with him ^^^^

But if fab work is done correctly, it would pretty unique and safe. But very time consuming for a first time faber. I've seen lots of trucks, truggys, and buggys safely driving down the freeway and and rides a lot smoother and safer than stock vehicles! But like CumminsPower59 said, it would be cheaper and quicker to rebuild what you got under it now.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Haywagon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 pm

I am no expert but i have done alot of reading and talking with guys about trucks. I would strongly advise you to keep your front axle it is one of the bet ever built . the kingpins can be a little difficult to do but not to bad . They rebuild pretty simple and can get everything you need on the web cheap for a HD truck axle. The 2nd gen front axle has issues like needing to be upgraded due to the death wobble and ball joints suck kingpins will last alot longer and take more of a beating . Unless you are in the mood for a project rebuild the 80 rear if i remember right that 2000 should have disc brakes or easy to swap and the 80 will have better locker and strength . Like i said im not the smartest just cheap and only want to do things once so stick with what you got and add the 80 in the rear just my two cents good luck with your project PM me if you have questions on redoing your front axle
1992 reg cab 4x4 getrag 165K
Intake
4" pipe
366 spring
33x12x18 mud grapplers on 18x10 KMC Spy
Haywagon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 am

the 80 is a few inches wider then and 1st gen 70. So if you plan on swapping that, you would need wheel spacers up font (if you keep your front axle), as well as making sure the gears match, new drive shaft, etc.
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis