Does our suspension suck that much or is it just mine?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: Does our suspension suck that much or is it just mine?

Postby Q5Quint » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 am

I have the 93 dually with the heavy duty 10 leaf spring packs. I think 7500lbs?

It rode really really horrible, almost like the axle was bolted onto the frame seemingly, but when I replaced a broken leaf mount and shackle it seems to have improved a lot. I think the old shackles binding/getting stuck had a lot to do with it. I would use a jack on one side and make sure yours are moving the way they are supposed to.

It also rode a huge amount better when I had a 16ft car hauler towing a vw bug with most of the weight on the hitch, as the hitch was about 6-10" too tall. zero squat. It was still a truck, but I think especially the duallys are supposed to have a literal ton of extra weight back there so they ride properly. I've thought about bags and such but as I am only using it to tow I wont worry about it.

It will never ride as good as my 83 diesel mercedes benz with blown shocks: that thing is like an air-bagged water bed on a pontoon boat.

-Q
Q5Quint
fuel pin?

Postby wallybanger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

cougar wrote:It's a truck for crying out loud. If you want a Cadillac ride, buy a Cadillac. My 91 rides like a truck should ride, like the pride of a man.

Anyone who says sthi like this CLEARLY never takes their truck offroad. I'm getting sick to death of bouncing between the seat and the roof on some of the trails I drive to get to campsites, hunting spots and fishing spots. It's so Fing bad I will get heartburn after 10mins of being smashed around inside the cab. The ride in these trucks is AWFUL to the point where I'm thinking about selling the bloody thing if I can't make some improvements.
wallybanger
smoke screw?

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

I'll tell you what's crazy, I've got the exact same suspension on my Ramcharger, 250k mile W250 front springs and stock Ramcharger rears with 3" blocks, and it rides 1000x better than my pickup ever did with the same setup.

The only difference is that I put poly spring eye bushings in the front leaves instead of the busted rubber ones, and I'm running cheapie Carquest factory application shocks instead of the Bilstein 5100 I'm running on the dodge.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Bilstein shocks absolutely SUCK. Worst shock I've ever had. Doesn't do a thing, other than stiffen things up.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 am

I saw your thread over on Pirate, wally, I'll check on that 63"/stock rear setup this weekend. I seem to remember a length difference between my stock front and rear springs, but I may have been imagining it...

If that does work out it'll be sweet and easy for me. :grin:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Just measured, the rear leaves on the RC, just like my W250 stock, are 52" long at ride hight. The fronts are my stock w250 springs, and they're 48" long at ride height.

Seems like quite a squeeze to me, but there's only one way to find out. :grin:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby MMeier » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 pm

cougar wrote:It's a truck for crying out loud. If you want a Cadillac ride, buy a Cadillac. My 91 rides like a truck should ride, like the pride of a man.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner !! :mrgreen:
'93 W250CC, 5 speed, 3.54's, pump tweaks, NV4500 conversion, straight piped, 33's. Also, have '03 3500 QC 4WD dually, 551HP/ 1008 TQ @ MATS '07
MMeier
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cougar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:26 am

wallybanger wrote:

Anyone who says sthi like this CLEARLY never takes their truck offroad. I'm getting sick to death of bouncing between the seat and the roof on some of the trails I drive to get to campsites, hunting spots and fishing spots. It's so Fing bad I will get heartburn after 10mins of being smashed around inside the cab. The ride in these trucks is AWFUL to the point where I'm thinking about selling the bloody thing if I can't make some improvements.

You need to come up to Alaska and drive our roads.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Chassis