Time to rebuild the front end.

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Time to rebuild the front end.

Postby D-dog357 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 pm

So I've already got the Moog HD upper and lower bj's and been looking for some urethane bushings for my 2wd front end and came up with - ZIPPPPP !

Any body know if any are available or of a bushing that can be ground down to size ?? Last time I heard of such a thing was from a off road shop 70 miles away 5 years ago and for the life of me I can't remember/find them now.

Also should I plan on having to replace the cross bars (or whatever they're called) too. Any advice from from someone that has done this would be greatly appreciated as it's my only running rig and need to get it done in a weekend - thanks !
'92 ex-cab, A/T, 3.56, timing bumped 1/4" , 366 w/ fuel 1/2 turn past collar, smoke all the way out and a ported HX hot side. Airbox and core support drilled for more cold air.
A no budget work truck.
D-dog357
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Time to rebuild the front end.

Postby u2slow » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

If I wanted a seriously HD 2wd front end, I would do a Chevy 1-ton swap... like 77-87 or so. No rubber bushings at all. Bigger brakes and beefy everything. Comes out of the Chevy as one complete crossmember.

In the meantime, just put in stock stuff. It does last for a lot of miles. What we forget is our cummins engines outlast suspension parts a few times over ;)
93 W250 Club 6BTA/5spd/3.54/Dana80/~3"lift/2gen leafs/3gen wheels/HX35/5x.012s
90 D250 6BT/5spd/3.54PwrLok
84 Ramcharger [Project} D250 6BT/5spd/3.07
... various other 75-05 mopar truck products
u2slow
fuel screw!!!!

Postby D-dog357 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds like a good idea but how much modding has to be done to make it work ?

In the mean time I found that Autozone of all places knew that Energy Suspension makes urethane and the cost is close to Federal-Mogul.

Somebody has got to have tried this before as from everything I've read - rubber parts only last a few years.
'92 ex-cab, A/T, 3.56, timing bumped 1/4" , 366 w/ fuel 1/2 turn past collar, smoke all the way out and a ported HX hot side. Airbox and core support drilled for more cold air.
A no budget work truck.
D-dog357
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Maybe the cheapo rubber ones do.......but good stuff like moog should last quit a while. Crap look at how long its been hanging around under your truck now.

Urethane bushings lead to problems.....I bought a Kit for the front of a Montie Carlo I had and those thing squeaked like mad after a year or so. I had to spray them with silicone spray to shut them up and that only lasted till the next rain.
What their true benefit was is they stiffened my suspension up Nice. If anyone has rode in one of those you'll know that things nose is loooong,when they bounce it's like one of those weirdo hydro jumping cars.....crazy
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am

Try http://prothane.com/ They make lots of different polyurethane bushing. I hear they are pretty good too.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis